if someone asks you about your sexual orientation

cooliocool

what information do you give?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. do you give your romantic orientation or your sexual orientation?

• I only announce my romantic orientation
    • I only announce my sexual orientation
    • I annouce both
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

24 minutes ago, knittinghistorian said:

I am also from a very conservative area, but I haven’t encountered asexuality as a SIN. Only as odd or maybe defective. Where does the justification for calling it actually sinful come from? Just curious, not trying to be snarky or disbelieve you or anything.

Justification comes from the assumed fact that we're all here on earth to get married and have as many kids as possible. There is no socially acceptable reason to either remain single or get married and not have as many children as is physically possible. Being anything on the lgtbqia spectrum means you're going to burn in hell. Hence why me and my partner are firmly in the closet.

knittinghistorian
13 hours ago, Stheg said:

Justification comes from the assumed fact that we're all here on earth to get married and have as many kids as possible. There is no socially acceptable reason to either remain single or get married and not have as many children as is physically possible. Being anything on the lgtbqia spectrum means you're going to burn in hell. Hence why me and my partner are firmly in the closet.

I see, I know there are groups that make large numbers of children a requisite.  I've never understood it, but I know such groups exist.  I'm so sorry!  Pressure like that is awful.

Divide By Zero

I don't go around advertising my sexual orientation but if I'm asked I say I'm asexual. Most people don't know what that is and have trouble understanding it so I leave out the romantic orientation to keep things simple.

I've only had one or two people actually ask me about my sexual orientation. Instead, people usually hint at it and after a few questions like "Are you married?", "Do you have a girlfriend?", "What dating sites do you use?", "What kind of girls do you like?", etc. I'll tell the person I'm asexual.

I just drop both bombs - explain if they have that face...

Wait for a day if they didn't say anything, and explain it then to make sure they know what it is...

I'd rather they abandon me sooner then later - and to not experience that awkward moment of when someone crushes on you... Because - I just can't return the feelings...

I've never been asked, though I have told close friends and family 

The fact I'm asexual is more or less my own business, so I'm not telling strangers anything at all.

If I'm asked, I will usually simply state my romantic orientation, hetero. Saves me the hassle to explain myself. If I feel like it's time I come out to someone because I trust them, I will, but until that point, I just don't see why anyone should care about my orientation. :P

Besides, pretty much anyone close to me knows already.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone LGBT+ or that I know will accept me: biromantic ace

Friends that I don't trust with keeping secrets, or homophobic friends: heteroromantic ace

Immediate family: heteroromantic ace

Extended family and anyone else: heterosexual

Either I'll say something silly like a pinksexual or I'll flat out tell them it's not their business.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

The very fact I am asexual is no one's business but my own.

I wouldn't tell them anything unless I know for a fact that they'll be okay with it.

If someone asks, I'll just tell them it's not their business.<_<

Lotta_Biscotti

It depends on who's asking and why, since I might not answer them at all. Usually I give them the short of it and just say my orientation is uninterested. I did that even before I really identified as ace. People who press me, without pissing me off, usually get both.

I've had a couple people ask. Most people assume I'm straight. Some people assume I'm gay because they've noticed I'm not interested in dudes (despite that they haven't noticed I'm not interested in ladies). And then there have been a couple people who are just like, "...What are you, exactly?"

Most folks assume Im hetero so dont ask, but anyone that does I tell them I'm asexual, if im in a deep talk I may go more in-depth.

everywhere and nowhere

Just today I casually told my cousin that "I'm interested in women, but not sexually". ;) And generally - I usually tend to declare both. When I don't know someone well - for example in a forum, when discussing lifestyle-relevant stuff - I usually just say that I'm asexual, to make it clear than I'm predisposed to a different lifestyle than allosexual people, for example that not having sex is a good thing for me.

Other: I perform verbal gymnastics and subliminal misdirection to make them forget they actually asked me a question :P

I wouldn't be exactly keen on discussing my orientation with a person I don't know well since there'd always be the suspicion that they don't have good intentions behind their question. I don't think I'd tell them anything more than "I like friendship". :mellow:

• 4 weeks later...

I've experimented with a number of labels to describe my sexual and romantic orientation but have yet to find a word for either that I'm confident and satisfied with, so I don't use specific terms to describe them most of the time.

If I'm in an LGBTQ+ setting and I'm being asked what makes me queer or why I feel a connection to that community, I'd just say I'm trans and not comment on my sexual or romantic orientation at all.

If I'm asked "what is your sexual orientation?" or "what is your sexuality?", I'd say queer (which to me just means not heterosexual or not heteroromantic and I think that kinda goes without saying since there is no 'opposite gender' from nonbinary).

If someone asked me "who are you romantically interested in?" or something else to that effect, I'd say that I tend to like more feminine-ish people, but I don't really date.

• 2 weeks later...

Only if I know the person, then I do both.

Otherwise it's probably to shrug and continue what I was doing.

Luckily I've never been explicitely asked, people generally assume I'm straight so I roll with it (not planning to come out anytime soon)

Also, since I'm heteroromantic I can give vague answers like "I like girls", which isn't technically false since I do like them in some ways, just not sexually :D 

6 hours ago, RHD95 said:

Luckily I've never been explicitely asked, people generally assume I'm straight so I roll with it (not planning to come out anytime soon)

Also, since I'm heteroromantic I can give vague answers like "I like girls", which isn't technically false since I do like them in some ways, just not sexually :D 

I couldn't have said it better. Your thoughts pretty much echo mine. The only difference is that I came out last year to a long time male friend who is annoyingly sexual. My hope is that he figures it out that I'm not interested in hearing about 'it'.

Mundane Mesh

Depends on who asks.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:23 AM, Verbosoul said:

Other: I perform verbal gymnastics and subliminal misdirection to make them forget they actually asked me a question :P

I can relate so much! Not specifically regarding sexuality, but in general if I get asked a tricky personal question like that when I'm not prepared for it.

People never ask that, they tend to ask: "So any boyfriend?" if I say no, they go "Then it's a girl, right?" I say no again and they end the conversation with "You just don't care, right?", I smile and the conversation moves on. 

If they asked... I would say CNone of your business! I don't care about that at all. I'm me and not my orientation. 

8 hours ago, Topi said:

People never ask that, they tend to ask: "So any boyfriend?" if I say no, they go "Then it's a girl, right?" I say no again and they end the conversation with "You just don't care, right?", I smile and the conversation moves on. 

If they asked... I would say CNone of your business! I don't care about that at all. I'm me and not my orientation. 

"You're homosexual" seems to be the default reaction if you tell someone you don't have a friend of the opposite sex.

On the second bold, that is a perfect outlook on things!

4 minutes ago, will123 said:

"You're homosexual" seems to be the default reaction if you tell someone you don't have a friend of the opposite sex.

On the second bold, that is a perfect outlook on things!

That default doesn't count with people that simply don't want a relationship at the moment. I can be hetero, just not interested into relationships at the moment. Does that make me homo? No! If I never found a person I find worth of pursuing that doesn't make me homo... People are so outdated.

The presumption that you can't like to be single is so outdated... People have to open their eyes, really! 

That last sentence should be my new a/sexuality. Thanks for pointing it out! 

I just say "I'm straight" even though I'm ace and probably either gray or aromantic. It just feels like the easiest answer seeing that aesthetically, I am attracted to men, and I don't exactly live in the most liberal area. I'd be surprised if they believe in bisexuality, let alone asexuality. 

As of now I still date and I've only dated men, so unless I have a romantic relationship with a woman or someone really interrogates me on my lack of sexual interest, I don't see any reason to tell anyone other then me and my partner. 

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
14 hours ago, Evil said:

I tell them it is none of their business.

Agreed though I might answer openly if it would be close friends or family.

Mundane Mesh

To elaborate on my previous brief answer, I would probably do one of the following:

• Give a non-answer, joke it away or ignore the question (if the situation allows it aka if the question wasn't given much weight or focus)
  • Say that it's none of their business
  • Shrug, or otherwise express uncertainty (which isn't a lie, I've been questioning to some extent for the past 4 years)
  • Explaining my orientation without using any labels
  • Tell them I'm aro ace

Which strategy I'd use would depend on situation and who's asking.

I haven't used any of these strategies in practice. The only time someone explicitly asked what my sexuality is I didn't have time to answer before the person who asked told me that he suspected I was asexual, which I confirmed.

My parents have only asked that question implicitly by asking if/when I would get a girlfriend (or boyfriend). I've only said that it's not my top priority at the moment (which is true).

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

I think I lead people to just thinking I'm a lesbian ^_^ here's to non binary erasure :ph34r: but it's not like I can explain to them that I'm genderflux/fluid, use they/them pronouns, hate the name they're using and here's a better one, and that I'm sex repulsed/aro-spec/also bi and attracted more to women/non binary people anyway. The truth is that the language we use to introduce ourselves to those with embedded stereotypes regarding gay, bi, trans and all other LGBT+ people is never going to stop being a way to reduce the enormous complexity and potential of human relationships to something which can be boxed in anyway. So, I'm cool with it-except for the non binary erasure bit.

I know I seem like I have way too many labels though-so sue me, I see these things as subject to change and it's nice to describe things like my feelings about relationships in a complicated way. I use them for myself more than others tbh.

It really depends on the situation to whether I say my romantic/sexual orientation. I say my sexual orientation more to people as I'm more certain on about my sexuality rather than my romantic orientation, and I'm proud to be ace, so I don't particularly want to hide it. :)  The only reason I rarely say my romantic orientation (apart from my housemates) is because I'm still not sure myself. I started as a romantic ace, then I started to doubt that and labelled myself as demi-romantic for about 6 months, now I'm identifying more as grey-romantic. 

Sometimes just because I don't want to say "I'm ace/asexual" then go through all the hassle of explaining what that means, I say I'm straight (even though I dislike saying it)

Anomaly Q3Xr

If someone enquires, I state both (asexual and panromantic), and then of necessary explain what they mean.

Archived