if someone asks you about your sexual orientation

cooliocool

what information do you give?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. do you give your romantic orientation or your sexual orientation?

• I only announce my romantic orientation
    • I only announce my sexual orientation
    • I annouce both
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

This question is about when a person who you are not close to asks you about your sexuality or what you are attracted to. I usually announce my romantic orientation and my sexual orientation to make it very clear that I'm not attracted to anyone in anyway. If it's a complete stranger, I ignore them and walk away. Or I tell them to mind their damn business. 

2 minutes ago, podsnap said:

No one in real life has ever asked me.

If they do, how will you respond? 

I consider it's no-one's business but mine. It's only a part of who I am, it does not define me. I do love the line from Shakespeare  though 'Man delights not me; no nor woman neither' :D

Mychemicalqpr

Depends on wording. If they ask, "What is your sexual orientation?" then the answer is asexual. But more often they word it as, "Who do you like?" which has a different meaning to me if not to them. If they're just an aquiantance I don't feel like explaining everything to, I'll tell them I'm bi, which they will understand to mean I can like "either" gender, and this adequately answers their question. Not exactly my romantic identity, but close enough. 

27 minutes ago, Lemonasculine said:

I guess I'd just say I don't like sex.

As a side note, I've seen lots of online what-is-your-sexual-orientation polls on just regular message board forums and asexual is never even listed as a survey option.

33 minutes ago, Lemonasculine said:

My answer would b none of your business unless I was planning getting into a relationship with them.

Anime Pancake

Who I am talking to gets a different answer

Acquaintance: I'm straight/hetero

Friend: I'm hetero romantic

People on aven: I'm grey romantic asexual

I tell them its nunya bizness. 

If they persist, I say I am straight.

If they get to know me, I say I don't like sex or people now leave me alone. 

Eventually they give up. 

"I don't care about either subject. At all."

Blue_Chamomile

I have a tendency to loudly announce it to the world.

"Hey, I don't want sex or romance with any of you!"

J. van Deijck

Usually people automatically assume I'm a straight woman, and neither is true, so. ._. It means they don't ask.

But if anyone does, I say "I don't give a shit".

I just say "I prefer being single" and/or "I'm not really interested in anyone".

I've hardly ever had anyone ask, so there's a very small sample size, but so far I've just gone with "asexual" or "not interested in anyone at all". I'd specify more if people were curious, I suppose, but those seem to have been good enough thus far.

Depends on the person, really.  There are a lot of people that I haven't come out to, but have no issue telling them I'm asexual if they ask.  There are others that I would be uncomfortable telling for fear they wouldn't accept it.  And if it were just some random person asking out of nowhere, well, then it's none of their business and I'd tell them to get lost.

I just say I'm bisexual because it's easier to explain than to say I'm asexual, but I'd be a bit cautious about saying that to a stranger. 

I only give sexual orientation unless the person expresses an interest in knowing more. 'Course, that's also partly because it's pretty recent that I settled on a romantic orientation, and it's not a super clear one to anyone not already familiar with it all. ^^;

Hermit Advocate

I have never been asked by anyone as to what my sexual orientation is, but if I was I'd tell them that I am an aromantic asexual because people rarely ever ask what your romantic orientation is and that would be the perfect opportunity for me to do so. 

I've only ever been asked my orientation on application forms, as it never has the option of asexual, I never answer the question.

same when they ask about marital status, because most forms are computer generated these days, they normally don't have the option of single on them, especially if they generate the forms from age related questions 

Groovy Teacakes

I'd ususally just reply "who knows???" and then elaborate. (Although not using labels like aro or hetero because I find them spectacularly not useful). I might tell/imply to a stranger that I'm gay just to make things easier but I'm more inclined to ignore the question.

I say I'm asexual, because that feels more significant than my romantic orientation. Partly because I figured it out sooner, and partly because I'm sex-repulsed and romance-favourable. 

Squirrel Combat

Most people assume I'm heterosexual. But the few who have asked, I told it straight, and got defamed for it.

Just now, Squirrel Combat said:

Most people assume I'm heterosexual. But the few who have asked, I told it straight, and got defamed for it.

Told it straight, haha. 

If they want a short answer, I don't bother. If they're willing to stick around I'll try to explain my sexuality, even if I don't entirely understand it myself

I don't remember ever being asked this in real life, but I'd probably give a shrug and go like, eh.

I'll say both,  as an aro-ace it's nice and easy 

If someone were to ask me what my sexuality is I'd tell them my sexual orientation because before I found out there was a difference between sexual and romantic orientation, I know I'd probably have been confused if someone had told me their romantic orientation. It also saves me explaining it to people who probably don't care. For the people who do care, I'll happily explain both if they ask, and this happens quite regularly. When I told a friend I was asexual, she said I might still be in a relationship later on which could change my mind, and then I told her my romantic orientation. 

I suppose it's not a massive deal to me either way though. I just do what's easiest because I don't feel like saying 'I'm an aromantic asexual' and having them be like 'u wot' :P

People don't ask. They speculate and make assumptions.

Archived