UK AVENites at World Pride

timewarp

I suppose we'll be one of the biggest groups of people coming from outside, so I thought I create a thread for organising our travel arrangements etc.

So far my impression is that it's much easier and cheaper to take a flight to one of the typical tourist destinations (Málaga, Alicante,...). There are not so many airports in the UK with direct flights to Madrid, and the cost of travelling on British trains is not exactly unbeatable. In Spain both trains and buses are fairly good and - compared to the UK - inexpensive.

I'm already doing a little test in February for the Madrid meet, then I can also post something about accommodation. :)

if you plan to take AVE (the really fast train) inside Spain be aware that the tickets appear about 2, 2 and a half months before the date. But the nice priced offers appear weeks later. I just learned that the hard way (ie barcelona-madrid the 1st offer was 76€, later it was 36€...).

Buses are cheaper but be careful to don't end up in a 8h hour adventure vs 2h trip just to save 5€. But at least they tend to be fairly new. If you do end up in a long bus trip better bring some sort of jacket, you never know when you'll get a driver that thinks 10ºC is a perfectly acceptable temperature to have people sitting in without moving for hours.

Normal trains is usually better liked than bus but time/price ratio is often not as good, although it depends a lot on from where to where you are going.

That's all the advice I can think off. Hope it helps someone!

Bus and train options in Spain are not bad but we don't have the british system.

If it's not a big difference I would choose direct fly. 

As Alex said be careful with the time you have to speend in the bus/train. Transport is cheeper here than in UK, nearly everything is cheeper so I hope that won't  be a problem. 

Edit: If you think about going to other cities by plane I would choose Valencia, Alicante or Murcia because are the ones that are nearer to Madrid and turistic (and typical for british tourists). Valencia- Madrid High Volocity train it's about 1h and a half  or a quarter to two hours. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

My nearest airport is Luton, so I can probably go with Easyjet. I'm on a budget this year, so I'm looking at hostels and cheap hotels near the start of the parade. going to see if I can arrive Friday afternoon, settle in for a bit of tourism, then go to the march, conference and leave on Monday afternoon....back to work on Tuesday! If there's anyone planning on leaving from Luton, let  me know. We can maybe team up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

So, I booked a flight on friday afternoon, getting to Madrid at 16.30 and have a bed in the U hostel at the end of the march route, looks like a very nice place and cheap too, then flight back to blighty on Sunday night at 22.00 . As I didn't get the day off on Monday, it's going t be an interesting workday!

• 2 months later...
Skycaptain

I've booked, arriving Thursday evening and departing Monday lunchtime. If anyone is free on Friday and want's to play tourist contact me

Skycaptain

Seems a Friday post siesta meet up is a plan. If you see someone eating chorizo paella and drinking cerveza, using their entire Spanish vocabulary that'll be me 

I think I'll go, and I am probably booking an early arrival on Wednesday 28th evening to do a bit of tourist-ing around. Anyone else will be there earlier than the weekend?

I'll be there Saturday evening until Monday morning and will be presenting something about my research (I'm not quite sure what, yet) at the conference. I hope to get to meet some of you at some point :) 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@motheaten, I love your avatar! I have so many privet hawk moths and elephant hawk moths in my garden. right now, there's a large pupa under my lilac tree, just waiting for the right time.. looking forward to your research too.

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, chandrakirti said:

@motheaten, I love your avatar! I have so many privet hawk moths and elephant hawk moths in my garden. right now, there's a large pupa under my lilac tree, just waiting for the right time.. looking forward to your research too.

Oh, wow, I'm so jealous! I've never seen one in real life. A friend once said she couldn't see what there was to like about moths because they're all brown and dull - I showed her a picture of one of the hawk moths and she backed down :D

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Oh, they are truly beautiful! The pupae are enormous, but dull black. I can't wait till they emerge, but no sign yet. I keep my cat indoors when it's breeding time ,so they get peace. I wish I was able to post photos, I'd show the caterpillars too, Amazing creatures.

Yeah, the caterpillars are gorgeous! You'll have to keep me updated on the pupae - let me know when they emerge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Count me in for friday afternoon meet up... unless I'm too dead tired or something. How do you plan to contact each other?

(PS: if you have nothing else planned, we have created a telegram group to talk to each other on the go and send any necessary warnings/news about the parade or the conference through there, details are in the World Pride Parade - Planning thread)

Archived