national geographic gender revolution

binary suns

Image result for national geographic gender revolution

https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/magazines/special-issues/national-geographic-gender-revolution-special-issue---u.s.?gclid=Cj0KEQiAy53DBRCo4en29Zvcla0BEiQAVIDcc3rsIxxKFwshIUYfTpOgCJB38VDFmnQEdCRASXD68egaAjIA8P8HAQ

look sweet. haven't read it yet. my parents have a copy... might steal it lol. 

anyone else heard about it before this? or even, read some of it :o

apparently the entire issue is about gender, a quick flip through it supported that gossip, though I didn't pay much attention so there could be just mostly gender related articles. but, I heard that it's mostly or entirely gender articles. 

it's a good start to 2017 ;)

A trans friend of mine was upset that the final "male" on the cover didn't have the additional "cisgender" marker, but aside from that, she's pretty excited about it.

I'm wondering if this was one of the articles included in it, or if it was soemthing separate: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/01/how-science-helps-us-understand-gender-identity/

NerotheReaper

Haven't heard of it, and haven't read it. I do enjoy when companies take steps to expand themselves to more cultures, sexualities, religions and such. Target for example, their whole step with their new bathrooms. People were pissed about it, mad that it wasn't traditional but they stood their ground. Hopefully more companies and businesses will stand up for people than just the white man. 

I read it! It sparked some... interesting conversation with my mom. She actually outright asked me if I'm a girl, which I was DEFINITELY not ready to answer. And I didn't actually answer her question, so... Good things and bad things.

@Bezzy-Loo - Yes, that article is in it.

That's a different cover than the one I got, but I think it's the same. That was the most I ever read of a National Geographic (read it cover to cover!). It was all very interesting, encouraging, and eye-opening. I loved it.  <3

1 hour ago, Bezzy-Loo said:

I'm wondering if this was one of the articles included in it, or if it was soemthing separate: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/01/how-science-helps-us-understand-gender-identity/

Yup, that article was in there. : )

What a coincidence, I was actually looking at that issue when I saw this thread. 

I want to read it! Do grocery stores sell National Geographic? I want to pick up a copy.

55 minutes ago, kelico said:

That's a different cover than the one I got, but I think it's the same. 

Yeah, I heard that subscribers got a different cover, and the one shown above is the news stand cover.

I no longer have a subscription.  I will need to get both copies from eBay.

Awesome that they actually did this (if indeed, the message is positive).

Y'all is that Pidgeon Pagonis on the cover?! BAE

Luftschlosseule

Uuuh! Thanks for drawing my attention to this! I've got to look if I can get it preferably without ordering it. Some stores sell the US version of National Geographic, but since this is a special issue I don't know if they'll also sell this.

Great way to kick off the new year, I will have to look for this x)

11 hours ago, kelico said:

That's a different cover than the one I got, but I think it's the same. That was the most I ever read of a National Geographic (read it cover to cover!). It was all very interesting, encouraging, and eye-opening. I loved it.  <3

Yup, that article was in there. : )

That was that article??? Oh wow I'm reading it now and I love the fact that they cover autistic people as well, who are apparently 2 times more likely to be gender nonconforming.

Luftschlosseule

So I asked friend Google and for the German AVENites that are interested: This also appears in German so it should be no problem to buy one.

• 1 month later...
Nico-Nico Friendo

I got myself a copy. A few things were problematic (such as the definition of 'intersex' as a disorder and the word 'male' on the cover without 'cis-' in front of it), but for the most part, the issue was pretty good and I'm glad they mentioned intersex and non-binary people.

sir octepus tea

How did they treat the topic for being nb? Was it respectful or more like "yea some kids wanNa stick out and be weird/it's a purely political thing not an actual gender"

1 hour ago, sir octepus tea said:

How did they treat the topic for being nb? Was it respectful or more like "yea some kids wanNa stick out and be weird/it's a purely political thing not an actual gender"

Much to my pleasant surprise, not in the least.

sir octepus tea

oh thank goodness. this whole schtick lately about nb people just being """special snowflake cringe""""" has been getting to me. it´s nice to see it´s not always like that

Dodecahedron314

One of the people in my campus ace group picked up a copy for us all to read at the meeting tonight, I shall report back with our collective /my personal take on it.

nerdperson777

I just watched the documentary.  My mom no longer had subscriptions to it since she didn't have time to read all her magazines anymore.  But what I would say about the documentary is that it isn't perfect, but it's a start.  It's meant to be for a cis person taking a leap into understanding genders so I can't be too picky.  Non-binary genders were hardly mentioned.  The reporter joined a support group to learn and there were some people who used they pronouns.  A census person mentioned gender non-conforming as part of what they survey.  That was pretty much the extent of non-binary talk.  There was a section on surgery but it only talked about AMAB bottom surgery.  AFAB bottom surgery was just said to be complicated and nothing was said about top surgery, which I'd consider a big thing.  If there was a second part to it, I would like to see them put those in.

I watched it, enjoyed it and even teared up a few times. I see it as more of an introduction to the topic; never meant to be comprehensive. I also think their target audience was mostly cis-gendered people who don't know much about the topics. An hour and a half is not a long time, so I don't blame them for not covering everything. When producing something like that you have to make it something people will want to watch, not overwhelm them with too much/too many different sub-topics, and basically do your best on what you do cover. I think they did a great job for what it was. :)

nerdperson777
6 hours ago, daveb said:

I watched it, enjoyed it and even teared up a few times. I see it as more of an introduction to the topic; never meant to be comprehensive. I also think their target audience was mostly cis-gendered people who don't know much about the topics. An hour and a half is not a long time, so I don't blame them for not covering everything. When producing something like that you have to make it something people will want to watch, not overwhelm them with too much/too many different sub-topics, and basically do your best on what you do cover. I think they did a great job for what it was. :)

Yeah, but I think they could've at least made an equal amount of time for AMAB surgery and top surgery.  I think a good portion of AFAB people would consider top surgery on their list so that's a big point.

Archived