Any Java programmers here?

Nanoic

I know how to code in Java, and it is usually my go-to language when I have to program something, but I don't consider myself a Java programmer.  I'm a theoretical computer scientist, so programming isn't really a big part of my research.

Java was the second language I learned and the first one I got a certification for. However, I haven't used it in a very long time.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I would like to learn Java. Any recommendations for super beginners? I found some free pdfs from Oracle that also recommended downloading the Java Development Kit. Is the JDK the only way to work with Java? I'm a super n00b here. I'm also new to programming, but have some ideas (did a little bit of python, and work with some statistics software that has some "programming speak"). But yeah, really new. I wanted to learn java, because there's a challenge/project I would like to do in the future. Thanks :)

Do you guys recommend using Dr. Java or Eclipse, or something else? I read that Dr. is beginner friendly, but the real nuts and bolts are in Eclipse. Thoughts?

I use NetBeans, but I know most people prefer Eclipse. As for learning, the web is definitely your friend. I know Codecademy has a course in Java.

8 minutes ago, Robin L said:

I use NetBeans, but I know most people prefer Eclipse. As for learning, the web is definitely your friend. I know Codecademy has a course in Java.

NetBeans, that was the other one I was thinking of...thanks! I am using Udemy, right now. The teacher recommended Eclipse, but the Princeton peeps mentioned Dr.Java.

There's a project challenge that's due in a few months that I want to do, so that's why I was asking if I should just dive into Eclipse. 

System.out.println(new String("Yes I am"));

Our University recommends Netbeans because it has powerful debugging tools and is easy to setup. It also has some good shorcuts lile Shift+I for imports and sout and press tab for System.out.println("");

Thanks, all!

###

Also, I don't want to divert the thread too much here, but I mentioned there's a project/challenge that I want to do. It's from the the UN. They want to create visualization tool to monitor internal displacement. I'm assuming some of the stuff can be done on Java, but maybe there's another programming language that can better handle the other steps of the project. I'm good with quant. analysis, statistics, etc but total n00b with languages. I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone wants to help me out, I can send you the challenge URL. Of course, if you want to collaborate, all the merrier! 

###

1 hour ago, kingcakedonut said:

Thanks, all!

###

Also, I don't want to divert the thread too much here, but I mentioned there's a project/challenge that I want to do. It's from the the UN. They want to create visualization tool to monitor internal displacement. I'm assuming some of the stuff can be done on Java, but maybe there's another programming language that can better handle the other steps of the project. I'm good with quant. analysis, statistics, etc but total n00b with languages. I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone wants to help me out, I can send you the challenge URL. Of course, if you want to collaborate, all the merrier! 

###

If you're doing statistics, I've heard that R and Python (but especially R) are good tools to do it. R is designed especially for data analysis.

8 minutes ago, Robin L said:

If you're doing statistics, I've heard that R and Python (but especially R) are good tools to do it. R is designed especially for data analysis.

R is something that I'm still working on. R definitely more than Python because R was written by statisticians. I used another statistics program though for my own personal research (at least until I get the dissertation done, just for the sake of finishing as fast as I can). The challenge, though, has a flow chart explaining what they want. So, I wasn't sure if Java is the best program for some of the stuff (like filtering, tagging, natural language processing analysis).

As an alternative to Java there's C++ but it's more difficult. Java works on both android and Windows, Linux and Mac and is easier for beginners and has powerful built in graphical libraries (Abstract Windowing Toolkit and Swing). Desktop applications do not need to be ported for different operating systems as the Java Virtual Machine compiles it into Java bytecode and then code the OS can understand. There's also C# for Windows desktop and tablet that is based on Java. This can be written on Visual Studio Community. The difference between Java and C# is that Java APIs can be written by anyone in the world and uploaded to github and are scrutinised by the open source community and if they are safe and good enough they become part of the Java open platform. Microsoft's C# is all proprietary so they have complete control over it.

1 minute ago, Akui++ said:

As an alternative to Java there's C++ but it's more difficult. Java works on both android and Windows, Linux and Mac and is easier for beginners and has powerful built in graphical libraries (Abstract Windowing Toolkit and Swing). Desktop applications do not need to be ported for different operating systems as the Java Virtual Machine compiles it into Java bytecode and then code the OS can understand. There's also C# for Windows desktop and tablet that is based on Java. This can be written on Visual Studio Community. The difference between Java and C# is that Java APIs can be written by anyone in the world and uploaded to github and are scrutinised by the open source community and if they are safe and good enough they become part of the Java open platform. Microsoft's C# is all proprietary so they have complete control over it.

You hit a lot of nails on the head here. I know the challenge also wants the project to be uploaded to github, bitbucket etc. I'm all about open platforms. I thought about C++ but figured it won't be good to start off with at the moment. C# was recommended to me by a friend in order to understand the statistics software we use better (but I have been managing just fine with out that. I would just learn C# out of curiosity).

The challenge also asks for this:Using Natural Language Processing algorithms the #IDETECT should automatically extract “facts” from the documents. A fact is a displacement figure reported in the document.  (The challenge deals with displaced persons as a FYI).

I found something on stackoverflow and it seems that with the natural language processing algorithms, python versus Java is a matter of personal preference.

I watched Bucky's Java programming tutorial. That's all :o. A beginner in programmer.

Yes, but tend to use php more, mainly focus on web apps, often use the Google Web Toolkit, which compiles java code into javascript.

I had Java in school but it's been years since I used it since then (nearly 4 years by now). :blush:

• 2 months later...

Archived