What is your political alignment, and why?

Joe the Stoic

Politiacl Alignment  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What is yours?

• Liberal (Left-wing)
    • Conservative (Right-wing)
    • Libertarian (Upper-wing)
    • Centrist (Center)
    • Something else

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I gave up voting when I got friendly with a local politician and his wife when I lived elsewhere. I just heard and saw too much of the inner workings of politics itself, to want to ally myself with any of them.

• 2 weeks later...
Mellifluous

communism but communism done right. the way i see it, is that we're all just human and i wish that we could all just be and exist together in peace without peoples worth depending on how much money they have and what kind of jobs deciding how important they are to society. however, i know this is impossible and so i do vote liberal in the elections. but one can wish right lol

MiraMeyneth

I always saw myself as a centrist. In terms of an economic standpoint, I personally lean a bit conservative (trickle down economics, letting the people spend their own money, etc) whereas socially I lean a bit to the left. However, I feel that social change needs to come from the people and not the government. Change enacted by the government can be voted out by the opposite party, whereas change brought by the people uniting for change can last for much longer. I used to lean far-left, but that changed as my father is a conservative and my mom is a hardcore left-leaner. I guess after hearing my father's opinion on the matter made me realize that both sides are flawed, and I realized that both sides can have good and bad points. Unfortunately I keep my political opinions to myself, as my parents are pretty trigger-happy if I state something that's radically different from their opinion, heh.

OnMatchPoint

Libertarian. I think both sides are crazy for different reasons.

But, irrespective of one's political alignment, can't we all agree that it's high time we had more than two viable options in the elections?! Every one is "Select between Dumber and Dumberer to lead your country. And here, have a sticker!"

The CLOSEST thing to my own views with politics would be (I'm in America btw) would be the Green Social Democrats. The easiest way I can describe it is someone who is concerned for environmental health (both people and nature) with emphasis on actually giving a damn for your fellow man (cheaper and/or "free" Healthcare and education, helping sponsor social programs, etc.). 

Unfortunately there's not a lot of official information on this group, since they're still relatively a new niche in American politics 

darkstreamers252

I'm an anarchist in the insurrectionist, transhumanist, postmodern (Foucault, Lacan, etc.), Max Stirner, and Peter Kropotkin sense, but I tend to hold opinions that fall all over the political-economic-social spectrum. That's as far as I'm going to go into it since every label and person mentioned would require several pages of introduction and then I'd have to add my take on it as well, that would be toooo long, so I'm leaving it at that.

I do affiliate with the Green Party when it comes to voting and activism, I agree with a lot of their ideas and policies and since they are of the Social Democratic philosophy, which, in concept, supports economic and social interventions to promote social justice, and it falls closer to the so-called "Libertarian" axis than any other party that I know of in the US. And then there is the environmental component which I find necessary nowadays.

Most people really don't have any idea what anarchism is so it's easier to explain.

@SapphireDelvai Bunnies are superior!!! All hail the bunneh!!

@Kumo Are you referring to the US Green Party or this? Because the Green Party of the US, also loosely affiliated with the Green Parties all over the world, are of the philosophy of Green Social Democracy.

7 hours ago, Elefsis said:

@Kumo Are you referring to the US Green Party or this? Because the Green Party of the US, also loosely affiliated with the Green Parties all over the world, are of the philosophy of Green Social Democracy.

The link is the closest thing :)

My political opinions have changed a bit since I last posted here. 

Im now a Nationalist Centrist

(Its not a party)

This means I put my country first, am non-interventionist, anti-foreign aid, anti-entitlement, self-sufficient, resource independent, pacifist, and secular. I'm all for Libertarian freedoms and markets, small government, anti-corporate welfare, subsidies only for markets that affect the nation in a positive way (Green energy, free education etc). Pro-science advancement and technology integration. Strict immigration laws, and path to citizenship. 

J. van Deijck

I don't think I actually sympathise with any politics, but if I think about it deeper, I'm probably the closest to anarchist.

57 minutes ago, alpha decay said:

I don't think I actually sympathise with any politics, but if I think about it deeper, I'm probably the closest to anarchist.

Everything is politics though. Down to the food you eat, and the clothes on your back. It is all connected. Politics is the study on the best way to live your life, and by extension, run your country. 

J. van Deijck
5 hours ago, Maou-sama said:

Everything is politics though. Down to the food you eat, and the clothes on your back. It is all connected. Politics is the study on the best way to live your life, and by extension, run your country. 

unfortunately this is true, but looking at the shitty government of my country... -_- no fucking freedom, they only say we are free.

divided_sky
On May 15, 2017 at 7:09 AM, Vyridis said:

I'm a Centrist. Some of my views are more left-leaning, while the others are right-leaning. That's why I consider myself in the center.

I used to be more left leaning, but all this BS with SJWs made me lean further right, thus putting me pretty much in the middle.

I can't stand the SJW stuff, it's probably my biggest gripe with my fellow liberals. I am really put off by those that don't seem care much for free speech and want to protest and shut down any venue for someone they disagree with to speak. That's so fucking irritating. 

• 2 weeks later...

Something else because I'm apolitical. I hate politics because most of them are hypocrites that only serve their own interests. I have a liberal tendency because gives rights to everyone but in economy terms I'm in favor of capitalism (moderate) I don't have alignments because it would make me less objective and I always question everything ha!

Digs_Dead_People

I chose "Something Else" because there isn't really anything that fits me.  I'm not a true centerist and, according to the political compass, I'm pretty close to Ghandi in terms of political leaning.  So, technically I'm a liberal.  However, there are some things that I enjoy that are more on the right-wing side of things. [There's only two things:  the military and guns.]  Otherwise, I'm pretty hippy-like minus the mind-altering substances.  

I am a centrist and a weak libertarian but I chose centrist. I lean more towards libertarian just like some centrists are left leaning and some are right leaning.

I was never into politics until I moved back to Northern Ireland and learned their history. I learned that most of their population identifies with 1 of 2 main ideologies. Unionists (support NI to be part of the UK) and Nationalists (support NI to reunite with ROI). Unionist parties are more conservative (except from small party PUP) while nationalist parties are more liberal. I was thinking about voting for a nationalist party since my family are nationalists and I have social liberal views until I did some research on both UK and US politics.

I began to question my political ideology for a while and even though I'm liberal on social issues, I was very stuck on economic politics. So I took a few quizzes such as a political compass (which I got libertarian), nolan chart (which I got centrist), and buildquorism (which I got libertarian leaning centrist). Once I educated myself on economic issues, it then turned out that I'm not as left-wing as I thought. I prefer individual liberty and responsibility over government control, however these views are not as extreme as someone who is a strong libertarian or even an anarchist. I do believe we so need the government in some ways like for example to protect us from violence and coercion.

So in general, I would mainly dictate solutions rather than by political extremes. And like you said it's very flexible.

I've had people try to label me before. Some have said I may be a neoconservative, others a classical liberal. I do hold many liberal beliefs, but they're more passive and I don't champion ideals in the same way progressives do. I believe in natural law, first and foremost. Its an anything goes but you have to deal with the consequences of your actions sort of deal. Should probably be important to note that I don't believe in welfare and all that that entails. Either people make it through their own devices or by convincing a neighbor or relative to pool resources and help each other, or they simply don't make it period. And that right there probably excludes me from being strictly liberal. On the flip side, I am not religious, am tolerant of virtually everyone by virtue of me not giving a fuck, and I don't believe tradition. So.... there goes my card that designates me as strict conservative of whatever flavor. I suppose I just don't fall anywhere on the scale of insanity xP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anomaly Q3Xr

I'm a Liberal.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:09 PM, The Joker said:

I've had people try to label me before. Some have said I may be a neoconservative, others a classical liberal. I do hold many liberal beliefs, but they're more passive and I don't champion ideals in the same way progressives do. I believe in natural law, first and foremost. Its an anything goes but you have to deal with the consequences of your actions sort of deal. Should probably be important to note that I don't believe in welfare and all that that entails. Either people make it through their own devices or by convincing a neighbor or relative to pool resources and help each other, or they simply don't make it period. And that right there probably excludes me from being strictly liberal. On the flip side, I am not religious, am tolerant of virtually everyone by virtue of me not giving a fuck, and I don't believe tradition. So.... there goes my card that designates me as strict conservative of whatever flavor. I suppose I just don't fall anywhere on the scale of insanity xP

What are your views on nationalist type things?

I say you are probably anarcho/centrist something. Which is why I wanted to ask you how you see society and roles in it. 

Some things cannot happen without society. 

4 hours ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

What are your views on nationalist type things?

I say you are probably anarcho/centrist something. Which is why I wanted to ask you how you see society and roles in it. 

Some things cannot happen without society. 

Society is a necessary evil, and regardless of one's beliefs is an inevitability when there are groups of people. I'm not against society, and indeed, there are good things that come from society that we would otherwise not have. As for nationalism, I hate it when it gets too much fervor behind it. I'm an individualist above all else, and I prefer to engage more with individuals rather than with groups. Nationalism tends to present itself as a unifying ideology/zeitgeist (one that inspires love and by extension loyalty to an ideology), and if you aren't on board then you can suffer negative repercussions from the group. I think of people's roles in society as... too fixed for my tasted. Really, our place within society isn't decided as much by ourselves as it is by circumstance and natural forces governing the economy. It sucks, but its life. As for how I see the roles within society... I see them in personally very social darwinistic terms. Its a "you either make it through your own devices or you don't" idea. Everyone has a role in society, its all transactional, either do the role and struggle/hope to find some time for yourself, or don't and fail. I don't believe people should help each other much in that respect either. My perspective is shaped by my life and what I've experienced. When I walk out the door to go to school and work everyday, no one gives a shit (and that's how it should be), I either show up regardless of my condition and make it through my own efforts, or don't regardless of circumstances and fail. I think that should apply for everyone. When I walk out the door to go to school and work there's no sense that I'm working towards helping the nation or other people, and there's no sense that the nation or group i'm part of gives a fuck about me either. I'm just a part of the group, and I play my role well. Its a transaction, and that's all anyone's role is in my opinion (even if they don't see it that way).

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Society is a necessary evil, and regardless of one's beliefs is an inevitability when there are groups of people. I'm not against society, and indeed, there are good things that come from society that we would otherwise not have. As for nationalism, I hate it when it gets too much fervor behind it. I'm an individualist above all else, and I prefer to engage more with individuals rather than with groups. Nationalism tends to present itself as a unifying ideology/zeitgeist (one that inspires love and by extension loyalty to an ideology), and if you aren't on board then you can suffer negative repercussions from the group. I think of people's roles in society as... too fixed for my tasted. Really, our place within society isn't decided as much by ourselves as it is by circumstance and natural forces governing the economy. It sucks, but its life. As for how I see the roles within society... I see them in personally very social darwinistic terms. Its a "you either make it through your own devices or you don't" idea. Everyone has a role in society, its all transactional, either do the role and struggle/hope to find some time for yourself, or don't and fail. I don't believe people should help each other much in that respect either. My perspective is shaped by my life and what I've experienced. When I walk out the door to go to school and work everyday, no one gives a shit (and that's how it should be), I either show up regardless of my condition and make it through my own efforts, or don't regardless of circumstances and fail. I think that should apply for everyone. When I walk out the door to go to school and work there's no sense that I'm working towards helping the nation or other people, and there's no sense that the nation or group i'm part of gives a fuck about me either. I'm just a part of the group, and I play my role well. Its a transaction, and that's all anyone's role is in my opinion (even if they don't see it that way).

I wonder if Nihilistic Libertarian Capitalism is a thing buhaha. 

I like your outlook, and I honestly think its the best way to look at life as an individual. One person really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, even in a democracy. Humans will always repeat certain patterns in society. The rise and falls of nations is predictable, inevitable. Humans don't have the memory to compensate for lack of understanding over more than 50 years or less. 

Good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times. Hard times create strong men, and strong men create good times. Repeat.

If human memory improved, and or we lived longer. It might solve the problem with history repeating themselves. Especially if we find a way to record memory.

I don't really know exactly. I consider myself to be a political independant, since my views may vary quite a bit depending on the issue. I tend to lean more towards the center overall though.

Archived