Volcanology/Geology questions

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Here is one that will help better understand a seismograph,  the one above and this one are placed near volcanoes this one however has two events that are volcanic eruptions and other readings pointed out.

15723749_1211985265562653_65896749040894

SorryNotSorry

How far back do some of the oldest petroleum pools date? Did any of the ones that humans have drilled into date back to the Pre-Cambrian era?

4 hours ago, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

T TASE24hr_heli_zpszhnfvtfk.png

these aftershocks are still going but will continue to decrease in size.

Just to add a bit more info for Daveb's earlier question: Each line contains 30 minutes of seismic trace data, with time proceeding from left to right. The times shown at left are local time; GMT (Greenwich Mean Time, also known as UTC) is shown at right. The larger quakes aren't shown at full amplitude (as the smaller quakes are) to limit how much they obscure the surrounding lines. The mainshock may have saturated the instrument itself.

The mainshock has not done anything to the monitor. Further more I know how to read these really well and understand the readings. This is normal activity after 2 large quakes within the same hour and this region as I have mentioned before.

This station and another one just as close to the epicenter have the same readings and also these volcanoes, and stations are on a fault line, the systems used for earthquakes here are built to withstand 9.2 and higher, these readings are common here as I said before this area near this station and others near by have frequent earthquakes and 2 active volcanoes  not far off. This region is known for 1000s of earthquakes. 

I apologize if it seemed I was denigrating your knowledge, my post was directed toward daveb's earlier question. I was just adding some extra info. I should also have been clearer in what I meant by "saturation"; yes, there's nothing wrong with the display, but as you know, showing the true amplitude of the larger quakes would just about obliterate everything else on the screen. I'm also not familiar with what type of instrument TASE is;  some older instruments of limited bandwidth do "clip out" in larger quakes.

9 minutes ago, coyote55 said:

I apologize if it seemed I was denigrating your knowledge, my post was directed toward daveb's earlier question. I was just adding some extra info. I should also have been clearer in what I meant by "saturation"; yes, there's nothing wrong with the display, but as you know, showing the true amplitude of the larger quakes would just about obliterate everything else on the screen. I'm also not familiar with what type of instrument TASE is;  some older instruments of limited bandwidth do "clip out" in larger quakes.

You were not,  I should have mentioned the monitors near these 2 volcanoes and others, we use more sensitive systems compared  to a basic seismograph in a building. These are outside and underground enough to protect them. MY mistake in not clarifying this. 

This station is not the closest to the quakes were, the one close had red lines, and when they're red it's because it was too large,  now that you mention the station name there is one that has MAPS in it for other volcano but it's not on the island since the volcano itself has been have activity since last November and was under water. For this we use surrounding stations that are closer although MAPS is not the closest it still picks up the activity. OKFG is the closest and was the station on the same island as OKER in the very top post.

SorryNotSorry

As a licensed building inspector, I happen to know that here in the city of L.A., grade inspectors are the most highly paid: $300-350/hr. That kind of inspection is more like consulting than like an 8-to-5 job. If you're in a 4-year university and shooting for a degree in geology or soil science, that job opportunity will be open to you.

On 3/11/2017 at 11:48 AM, Skycaptain said:

There is a belief that the biblical tale about the parting of the Red Sea to allow Isrealites to flee Judea is based upon the tsunami resultant from the Thera eruption. 

It was actually the Reed Sea, a much smaller body of water -- a shallow lake north of the Red Sea, on the coast of the Sinai.  

Re possible eruption of Mt. Rainier in Washington State, that would be disastrous for Tacoma and possibly Seattle, and all the area between.  :o

• 2 months later...

The recent quakes near Mammath hot springs has caused a thermal pool in West Thumb thermal geyser basin to change color from turquoise to blue and other known thermal areas to  change. I'm going to be posting more info when I can. I'm going to start going every week if I can.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:15 PM, Sally said:

It was actually the Reed Sea, a much smaller body of water -- a shallow lake north of the Red Sea, on the coast of the Sinai.  

Re possible eruption of Mt. Rainier in Washington State, that would be disastrous for Tacoma and possibly Seattle, and all the area between.  :o

It is what caused the sea to divide, when Krakatoa  erupted, before it did  the sea became still. If the quake was larger it might have split it, however it made it very still giving the lighthouse worker a view of what seemed to be a mirror. At this time no one knew it meant Krakatoa was going to erupt especially at the scale it did.  

On 7/24/2017 at 8:24 PM, Shieldmaiden WinterDragon said:

The recent quakes near Mammath hot springs has caused a thermal pool in West Thumb thermal geyser basin to change color from turquoise to blue and other known thermal areas to  change. I'm going to be posting more info when I can. I'm going to start going every week if I can.

Please keep us updated!  Things can change remarkably in short order up there.

46 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Please keep us updated!  Things can change remarkably in short order up there.

I'm going to West Thumb this weekend, I'll share what I discover. 

• 2 months later...

The seismic increase lately in Yellowstone is not magmatic but tectonic. Although people believe they're magmatic, they're in fact not. The park has 3000 a year and 100 a day.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2017 at 10:14 PM, coyote55 said:

There was a story circulating at the time that the  late Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) was really incensed after the 747 was nearly lost to the Redoubt ash cloud.... he made an irate phone call to USGS management, to the tune of:  "Why the hell aren't you monitoring OUR  volcanoes?" 

Once in a while, good things come from angry politicians!

It was actually after this eruption the Alaska Volcano Observatory  launched. HVO is partnered with AVO and so both have similar monitoring methods. While CalVO, CVO and YVO have more monitoring systems around the volcanoes they monitor due to how powerful they get, although many have not erupted for years. It's also for this reason the other Observatories have more monitoring systems than Alaska and Hawaii.

I plan on adding more to this in PALEOGEOLOGY soon, so if you have questions, feel free to ask!

• 4 weeks later...

Eruption of Laki 1783

The Laki eruption lasted eight months during which time about 14 cubic km of basaltic lava and some tephra were erupted. Haze from the eruption was reported from Iceland to Syria. In Iceland, the haze lead to the loss of most of the island's livestock (by eating fluorine contaminated grass), crop failure (by acid rain), and the death of one-quarter of the human residents (by famine). Ben Franklin noted the atmospheric effects of the eruption (Wood, 1992). Photo of main fissure at Laki by Thor Thordarson.

It is estimated that 80 Mt of sulfuric acid aerosol was released by the eruption (4 times more than El Chichon and 80 times more than Mount St. Helens).

When it erupted the sulfuric acid escaped before the lava landed on the ground around the Fissure Volcano and is 27km long.

The climatic effects of the Laki eruption are impressive. In the eastern United States, the winter average temperature was 4.8 degrees C below the 225 year average. The estimate for the temperature decrease of the entire Northern Hemisphere is about 1 degree C. The top graph shows change in acidity in micro equivalents H+ per kg in the Greenland icecap. The bottom graph represents the winter temperature records in the eastern United States. From Sigurdsson (1982).

The Laki eruption illustrates that low energy, large volume, long duration basaltic eruptions can have climatic impacts greater than large volume explosive silica-rich eruptions. The sulfur contents of basaltic magmas are 10-100 times higher than silica-rich magmas (Palais and Sigurdsson, 1989)

Other volcanoes in Iceland have been known to be far worse in comparison to Laki.

Eyjafjallajökull's eruption in 2010  such down many airports near it and through Europe. 

Hekla is going through a faze where the eruptions get smaller gearing up towards a large eruption that may and can change the global weather there and all over. 

After each eruption of Eyjafjallajökull the three near it have been known to erupt. Katla has been known to erupt after Eyja.

Laki killed 10,000 people and not all from Iceland, it's known as a linear vent:

A fissure vent, also known as a volcanic fissure or eruption fissure, is a linear volcanic vent through which lava erupts, usually without any explosive activity. The vent is often a few meters wide and may be many kilometers long. Fissure vents can cause large flood basalts which run first in lava channels and later in lava tubes. After some time the eruption builds up spatter resp. ash cones and may concentrate on one or some of them. Small fissure vents may not be easily discernible from the air, but the crater rows or the canyons built up by some of them are.The dikes that feed fissures reach the surface from depths of a few kilometers and connect them to deeper magma reservoirs, often under volcanic centers. Fissures are usually found in or along rifts and rift zones, such as Iceland and the East African Rift. Fissure vents are often part of the structure of shield volcanoes.

The death toll reached England, killing people, animals and plant life, vast areas through Europe died, the sun was blocked by a "fog".

Iceland volcanoes have the power to change the global climate. 

• 4 months later...

It's time to add more to this forum, I'll begin posting more when I have more data, for the mean time here's a petition .

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/473/756/887/support-a-proposal-to-united-nations-for-an-international-day-of-volcanoes/

Sage Raven Domino

Where can I find an up-to-date formula approximating the expected local MMI of an earthquake by a function of the magnitude and the distance from the hypocenter, with coefficients tailored to SoCal? I'm potentially interested in using ShakeAlert as an early warning system for quakes in a Mexican town (namely, Rosarito, which is 25 miles south of downtown San Diego) if I ever live there, as I guess the Mexican alert system is less sensitive.

Currently, I'm trying to understand :D a USGS study of the timeliness of warnings.

• 6 months later...

USGS Volcanic Hazards assessment updates 2018

I know I've been silent for too long on this thread and I will start posting more data here again, I've been busy with Volcanic Parks the last 2 summers. 

In the past couple of years I've had fun visiting a few volcanic areas. From geysers in Iceland, to geysers and mud pools in New Zealand, to Craters of the Moon in Idaho, and of course the volcanic mountains I can see from here in the Pac. NW. :) Lots of variety, too.

This this year in Yellowstone did not go as well as I had hoped so I went to Rainier NP and now I have to wait for November to put an application in with NPS (National Park Services) The recent update to our volcanoes within our (High ranked threat volcanoes ) was edited for the fact that many were looked into more and their potential threat they pose within their surrounding areas. Yes the volcanoes here are the most interesting and I'm glad the few we talked about made it in the red list.

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but there’s a supervolcano under the pacific plate. It’s made of two deep-mantle plumes that are colliding, and if it ever erupted it could spew enough magma to possibly resurface most of the planet. luckily they don’t think it will erupt for at least a couple hundred million years, so humanity will either be extinct, spacefaring (interplanetary and/or interstellar), or digital by then. 

All the articles that are surfacing lately on a "new" supervolcano are  not true. I work with USGS  and volunteer with the Smithsonian Volcano global program. 

The odds of the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting within a given year are one in 730,000. Here's a little perspective: Those odds are significantly better than your chances of winning the lottery and only slightly worse than the chance you'll be struck by lightning or a plane crashing in your backyard.

The one and only largest supervolcano in the world is Yellowstone and that has a time scale of 6000- 800,000 

Tungurahua volcano, a steep-sided andesitic-dacitic stratovolcano towers more than 3 km above its northern base and consists of three major volcanic edifices sequentially constructed since about 100,000 years ago over a basement of metamorphic rocks. 
Tungurahua II was built within the past 14,000 years following the collapse of the initial edifice. Tungurahua II itself collapsed about 3000 years ago and produced a large debris-avalanche deposit and a horseshoe-shaped caldera open to the west, inside which the modern glacier-capped stratovolcano (Tungurahua III) was constructed. 

Historical eruptions have all originated from the summit crater. They have been accompanied by strong explosions and sometimes by pyroclastic flows and lava flows that reached populated areas at the volcano's base. Prior to a long-term eruption beginning in 1995 that caused the temporary evacuation of the city of Baños at the foot of the volcano, the last major eruption had occurred from 1916 to 1918, although minor activity continued until 1925.

Since 2000, a new lava dome has been growing in its summit crater. Tungurahua's activity has been characterized by frequent powerful ash explosions, producing ash plumes of several kilometers height as well as dangerous pyroclastic flows. Part of the population around its base has been evacuated.

• 2 months later...

Most recently as many are in these regions where there's an increase of seismic activity, I'm going to post research data tomorrow and explain earthquakes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has a resurfacing event ever happened on Earth?

Archived