Asexual Movie Reviews?

Blue Ice-Tea

I love movies. I have a degree in Film Studies. And for a long time I've been trying to think of a way to combine my interest in asexuality with my interest in cinema. I've attempted a few times to write film reviews from an asexual perspective (you can find some of them in back issues of AVENues). But I'd like to make it more of a regular thing.

Another thing I'd like to do is move beyond just looking for movies with obviously asexual themes or characters. Partly because that's darn difficult, and partly because I don't want to treat asexuality as a fringe perspective. Asexuality should be mainstream, and we should be able to bring "ace reading" to all kinds of fiction!

So I'm thinking of starting a blog where I review a variety of movies, both on their over-all merits and on their ace-relevence. Both criteria are obviously quite subjective, but my goal is to start a conversation, not to make definitive pronouncements. Ideally, I'd like to write a review of every new film I see, whether it seems to have anything to do with asexuality or not. But I also plan to review other films that I find relevant to an asexual perspective.

Before I try this, any advice? Any issues that are important to think about when reviewing movies? Anything I should clarify at the outset? Any films you would especially like to see reviewed?

And, last but not least, has anyone done anything like this before?

Merry Christmas!  :)

I think this will be awesome!

I know eched  has done something similar in the past, but has not done anything recently.

He might have some advice.

He is/was a member of AVEN, but I haven't seen on the site in a while.

This is one of his reviews on his Youtube channel:

Good luck!

I'm in, please share your blog when you start writing! Can't think of anything similar either in the mainstream or in academia, but it definitely sounds promising.

Since you already have a degree I don't think there is much advice I can give. Where did you study, btw?

It would be interesting to see an ace breakdown of popular films, like the Marvel movies or whatever, as well as more-auteur-but-still-mainstream, like Tarantino movies, as well as purposefully sexually-charged cinema, like Luis Buñuel's.

I think I might give it a go as well and post ace readings of movies here or in a blog of my own. 

3 hours ago, Blue Ice-Tea said:

I love movies. I have a degree in Film Studies. And for a long time I've been trying to think of a way to combine my interest in asexuality with my interest in cinema. I've attempted a few times to write film reviews from an asexual perspective (you can find some of them in back issues of AVENues). But I'd like to make it more of a regular thing.

Another thing I'd like to do is move beyond just looking for movies with obviously asexual themes or characters. Partly because that's darn difficult, and partly because I don't want to treat asexuality as a fringe perspective. Asexuality should be mainstream, and we should be able to bring "ace reading" to all kinds of fiction!

So I'm thinking of starting a blog where I review a variety of movies, both on their over-all merits and on their ace-relevence. Both criteria are obviously quite subjective, but my goal is to start a conversation, not to make definitive pronouncements. Ideally, I'd like to write a review of every new film I see, whether it seems to have anything to do with asexuality or not. But I also plan to review other films that I find relevant to an asexual perspective.

Before I try this, any advice? Any issues that are important to think about when reviewing movies? Anything I should clarify at the outset? Any films you would especially like to see reviewed?

And, last but not least, has anyone done anything like this before?

Merry Christmas!  :)

Cool! Best of luck!

I think something to clarify at the outset would be the difference between celibacy and asexuality, also the difference between asexual characters, and characters that just don't have sex on screen. There are plenty of Christian romances which include celibacy or do not include sex scenes for religious motivations, so I would want to point out the unique asexual aspects in reviews.

Merry Christmas to you too! :)

@argar, thanks for letting me know about eched's reviews.  I'm going to go watch a bunch of them!

@Ayu, I studied at the University of Western Ontario.  I'm not sure I feel confident enough to tackle Buñuel (unless you want to suggest a particular film?), but Marvel and Tarantino are definite possibilities.

@Crystal7, yeah, celibacy's a tricky one because it can look a lot like asexuality.  I'll try to keep the distinction clear, especially as there may be non-ace people reading the reviews.

Blue Ice-Tea

Okay, the blog is launched!

https://acefilmreviews.wordpress.com/

Since it's brand new, it only has one post so far, but I've got some more in the pipe and hope to publish them at a rate of one per week.  Please let me know what you think!

Archived