Asexual members, are you a NATURAL redhead?

Joe the Stoic

Redhead Tally  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a NATURAL redhead?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Joe the Stoic

Redheads are often stereotyped as being hyper-sexual.  Let's see how we balance against that stereotype.  About 2% of the world's population has red hair of some variety.  However, most of these numbers are going to be white people, Westerners, and since the Internet is more readily available to Westerners, we should not be surprised if our figure is a bit higher than 2%.  Ireland appears to have the highest rate with about 10% of its population being redheaded.  America may have as much as 6%.

Anyway, doesn't matter if you're a dude or a chick.  Just answer!

whether i am red haired or not has been a matter of ferocious debate.

once before a lecture at college, a guy in class stood up before the whole class and asked for a show of hands on who thought i was a redhead and who thought i wasn't.

during english class in secondary school, my teacher for no reason had named out the redheads in the class and mentioned me, thought that might have been an attempt to wake me up and get my attention. it was successful.

my eldest brother teases me b taunting me that i am a redhead. however i do go back to the first point about the college event where a show of hands had been asked for. to this, i think it is unsure in the view of the world whether i am redheaded or not. therefore i can not vote under the options.

though when i am too lazy to shave, the beard comes in as red

20 minutes ago, iff said:

whether i am red haired or not has been a matter of ferocious debate.

that sounds pretty damn bizarre. like a kafkaesque scene from somewhere. or scenes more like.

like sure, my hair color is weird (like it used to be blonde and now it's dark except in certain light) but it's only been questioned a few times and less publicly.

Similar to @iff, there is a hint of redness in my hair in some circumstances (and so sometimes people will say I have red hair, but it's definitely not full on ginger), and my beard tended towards strawberry blond I suppose (more likely mostly gray these days, but I haven't grown it out to be sure). I heard or read that Scotland has the highest percentage of redheads. But ether I have ancestry from both Ireland and Scotland.

Joe the Stoic
8 minutes ago, daveb said:

Similar to @iff, there is a hint of redness in my hair in some circumstances (and so sometimes people will say I have red hair, but it's definitely not full on ginger), and my beard tended towards strawberry blond I suppose (more likely mostly gray these days, but I haven't grown it out to be sure). I heard or read that Scotland has the highest percentage of redheads. But ether I have ancestry from both Ireland and Scotland.

Ireland actually does.  Over a third of Scots have a gene for red hair that does not express itself, though.

It used to be thought Scotland had 13%, but apparently that has been revised to 6%. That's where I was wrong. I vaguely remembered the older statistic.

cavalier080854

IDK about the hyper-sexual part. But redheads are known for a fiery temperament. The Spartan's thought so. They kept a lock of red hair so it would impart fighting spirit to the holder.

Mine is kind of a dark strawberry blonde/light auburn but many categorize it as red. Y'all can judge

1 hour ago, cavalier080854 said:

IDK about the hyper-sexual part. But redheads are known for a fiery temperament. The Spartan's thought so. They kept a lock of red hair so it would impart fighting spirit to the holder.

Redheads have a similar experience to Asians where females are very fetishized and men are seen as nerdy and unattractive. 

Joe the Stoic
1 hour ago, cavalier080854 said:

Notice the hair color of the titular goddess in The Birth of Venus.  It was for a reason. =P

I'm the only one in my family that isn't red headed or strawberry blonde (reddish gold). My family has deep Irish/Scottish ancestry on my mom's side. My dad's genes however, gave me brownish hair. (hes polish, german, and african) Think chocolate lab color. It looks a touch red if I get enough sunlight. Too much sun and it turns gold. My siblings have similar colors except the youngest who has strawberry blond.

My mom is red headed and hilariously heypersexual. Seeing the first part of this thread. I can vouch the stereotype is somewhat true seeing my family. My grandma had 13 kids...thats a lot if aunts n uncles. 

Nah, a curly dark blonde hair(=a huge mess) for me. Used to be light blond and straight though.

Joe the Stoic

So far it seems that we have a lot of redheads, but then a lot more could vote.

Would love to see the results when we have closer to 60 votes.

Joe the Stoic
14 hours ago, crinklyphotographer said:

My grandmother was a natural redhead. And I have a few ginger strands in my beard. :-)

As I understand it, beard hair is determined by a different set of genes than the ones for your head (scalp).  This is also why the carpets don't always match the drapes for some people.

J. van Deijck

Kind of, my hair is naturally brownish red, or reddish brown or whatever. (Quite dark anyway)

And I'm as far from being hypersexual as possible, if not more.

On 22/12/2016 at 11:58 PM, Joe Parrish said:

@CBC, it is an age-old stereotype that redheads are oversexed.

This is the scene I was talking about @UVB-76 >_>

And my hair takes on a reddish tint as it gets longer, not massively mind. If that counts for you then I am, otherwise...well, I don't need to explain reasoning...

J. van Deijck

...wait I need to watch it now :3

Yes. Used to hate it, dye it. Right now I'm trying to enhance the red because it started to naturally fade away. Can't ever please me.

I'm kind of weird with this. My hair has distinct red, black, and blonde natural highlights. It's never only red, black, or blonde looking. Strange that I have such a mix, and it's natural. Many people say I look like I have very dark red hair most of the time. When summer hits, the blonde comes out more. I had strawberry blonde hair as a kid. My Dad's side came from Ireland and Scotland, so maybe that's where the red part came from.

Ash-Brown.

Usually it looks something between blond and brown (more on the brown side).  But, in bright light it looks blond.  I also have small number of red hairs here and there, but not enough to really be seen.

And I am starting to get an occational gray hair too <_<

When I was a baby I had red hair, but the older I got the more it turned brown. I'm a brunette ^_^

2 hours ago, Flyaway4me said:

When I was a baby I had red hair, but the older I got the more it turned brown. I'm a brunette ^_^

so sad, I have to be a natural blonde...

Platinum blond as a child has turned mousey with time,  and now getting grey streaks :(

Archived