Happiness? What makes you happy?

WinterWanderer

• 2 months later...
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Basically anything with Geology and astronomy makes me happy besides band practice. I find myself absorbed in my stuff I do online with USGS for hours, astronomy I can say the same thing I can be absorbed in what I'm doing for hours before knowing what time it is. I find myself focusing on each topic well enough I block out all around me.

• 1 month later...

I have to say I am not really happy with this distribution of our time between happy and sad/depressed and maybe neutral.

I'm not happy with distributing of other things too.. In a way using any tags in general. Happy is definitely a tag too.

I feel it's somehow connected to the pressure on us to contribute to society (especially in amount that people are pushed to contribute), to satisfy expectations of others and the system of appreciation and punishment.

If we wasn't obligated to contribute/work for those ones with power over us, would there even be something like opposite of being happy?

We're constantly pushed to make something against our will and when we have a problem with that, it's called depression or disobedience.. based on how it manifests.

Sometimes we can get really overwhelmed and need to process everything. That needs a lot of time, energy - work. And we do not have time for this kind of work because someone else took that precious time away from us already by pushing us to work twelve hours a day on something only he's got a profit from. (And don't even make me start on that twisted ranking system that says manual labor is less than the mental one).

So that's what I'd call ''depression''. The need to process. Having a list of important task I need to do for myself first.

When you processed everything, you don't need to process any more so you can finally rest = being happy. Happy = to not have anything on the check-list.

What else the word 'happy' stands for? Maybe to love someone or being loved.. Being excited? In the context of society, being excited means probably to be glad to be or might be allowed to have or do something that is normally unreachable or sth you've been previously restrained from.. Considering by what the things that we're usually excited about are..

So that word 'happiness' is whole package of feeling that we learned to slur together. When you break it down like this, it does not really stand for anything any more and remains just an empty tag. Just like you can do with ''sad'' or every other tag..

what if you realize ond day, from external empirical evidence, that you have never been happy? would you be ok with what you have been? or theres the other side, what if you discover that you have always been happy, that you always had this thing you wanted so bad. for me, happiness is easy, all I have to do is not look for it.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

The tears of my enemies

I mean watching polar bear videos on the internet 

Probably binge watching anime during summer break, also college is over for the semester, Oreos have sustained me for two days, YouTube in general, kdramas, Miraculous Ladybug is coming back on soon...

Violet_Finch

Being in the mountains, for me, is absolute happiness. I've only been on a few trips to the Appalachians, but its my absolute favorite environment, and this year I'm buckling down and picking up a second job just so I can have the ability to pack myself up and move there. I'm happy with my family here at the beach, too, but something about being up in the mountains just lifts my spirits like nothing else.

Otherwise, I love to sit in bed with my fluffy blankets, just listening to a good album with my headphones. Focusing on the music can help me calm down from anything stressful that happened that day, and is one of my favorite ways to relax. But, it's easy to accidentally fall asleep and take an unexpected nap this way! 

Grumpy Alien

Puppies and kitties

• 2 months later...
J. van Deijck

I must say I'm rather happy, even though it seems I've been mostly depressed recently. I know "this too will pass" and the sun will shine again, and I'm not alone with it, so it feels impossible not to feel happy.

what actually makes me happy? well, I'm on my own, I have a job, friends, literally perfect relationship, freedom to express myself + some actual creativity to do it, my kitties, I'm surrounded by nature so I can escape the world a little whenever I need. I can develop my interests, and now I also have people to talk to about them :3

people know I have problems with hearing (and, in consequence, speaking), but I'm grateful for not being profoundly deaf so I can enjoy music. <3 it means a lot to me because I love music. it makes me happy, too. :3

Skipper Valvoline

I define a difference between happiness and joy. Happiness is the fleeting feeling- happy to get ice cream, hearing a compliment, etc. - whereas joy is the overall state in life. Seek joy in everything you do, no matter how unpleasant. So I don't chase happiness, because it's always moving. Joy is what I desire.

SorryNotSorry

Nothing, really.

Success

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm not sure about happy, as it's the opposite of sad, and both are extremes. I'll stick to content...mostly content when I have time on my hands and no particular pressures to do anything.

Archived