Do The Black Rings Work?

Janus the Fox

heard that the same ring could be mistaken in some swingers social groups or cultures.  So if it works depends on prior existence of or knowledge of any local asexual or swinger culture.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

heard that the same ring could be mistaken in some swingers social groups or cultures.  So if it works depends on prior existence of or knowledge of any local asexual or swinger culture.

Yeah swingers also use a black ring as an indication to other swingers that you're open for swinging (as in, having sex with them and their partner, lol).. swingers wear the ring on a different hand but it would be easy to assume someone had put their ring on the wrong hand by accident, go up to them like "hey want to have sex with my wife and I?" And that person is like "WHAT?? OMG I'M ASEXUAL GO AWAY!" ...really bizarre that the asexual ring and the "I want to have sex with you and your partner and friends!" is the same colour haha.

14 minutes ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Swingers are aware of us and don't use the right middle finger specifically. I've seen this online as well as having spoken to swingers in real life. I've never had a negative experience being around swingers; they seem to be very aware I use the "wrong finger."  :lol:

• Like 1
On 12/17/2016 at 4:38 PM, fiorya said:

I've had my ring for about a year now, and I wear it every now and then. As far as I know, no one has ever recognized it as an ace ring. But I don't mind. I mostly wear it as a reminder to myself, instead of as a beacon for other people.

Same here!

Although a couple weeks ago I was paying for something and the clerk clearly gave my ring a long look and then she just gave me sort of a weird look like "WTF".  Doesn't necessarily mean she knew the meaning, probably not I guess.  Part of it probably is that guys don't wear rings as much as girls do so maybe it stands out as a little odd since it's obviously not a traditional wedding band or anything like that.

I just like the way it looks regardless of meaning. Mine's a shiny stainless steel so it does stand out a bit and I love black, it's my favorite color.

6 hours ago, ℃å℞t☉☧hℹĿẹ• said:

Yeah swingers also use a black ring as an indication to other swingers that you're open for swinging (as in, having sex with them and their partner, lol).. swingers wear the ring on a different hand but it would be easy to assume someone had put their ring on the wrong hand by accident, go up to them like "hey want to have sex with my wife and I?" And that person is like "WHAT?? OMG I'M ASEXUAL GO AWAY!" ...really bizarre that the asexual ring and the "I want to have sex with you and your partner and friends!" is the same colour haha.

Yeah it is strange!  You couldn't find a more opposite meaning, that's for sure.  I'd pretty much rather shoot myself than have group sex, geez it's bad enough one on one.

ProtectorOfTheLight

I've been meaning to get a black ring but haven't yet. It's great because the people who I don't want to know about me being asexual wouldn't know what the ring symbolizes.

I agree with most here that the ring isn't really noticed by others.  I think most people assume it's just jewelry.  The people who would notice would be a fellow Ace.  I had an awkward moment when I noticed someone wearing a black ring on the appropriate Ace finger.  I blurted out something like are you Ace?  He gave me a real weird look. I told him what it meant, and he freaked right out and took the ring off.  It was funny.:lol:  I proceeded to tell him that he could wear it on a different finger, and then he seem relieved.  

I got mine on Etsy.  You can also do a search for black silver or black gold and it might pop up more unique rings.  There's even beaded starchy rings and rubber (and silicone) ones too.  Mine is black gold.  It's a bit fancy, but I was celebrating a divorce.:D

Spoiler

10399406_1569117053414357_68578591565232

• Like 5

I don't do jewelry but I was recently watching Lucifer (it was on) and I actually did like the black onyx ring he was wearing. It stands out, even on a TV show. I might be up for something like that.

15 hours ago, Ƒaraday said:

I got mine on Etsy.  You can also do a search for black silver or black gold and it might pop up more unique rings.  There's even beaded starchy rings and rubber (and silicone) ones too.  Mine is black gold.  It's a bit fancy, but I was celebrating a divorce.:D

Reveal hidden contents

10399406_1569117053414357_68578591565232

The stuff people can do with resin is cool, too. Though its hard to find resin rings under size 6.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Ƒaraday said:

I had an awkward moment when I noticed someone wearing a black ring on the appropriate Ace finger.  I blurted out something like are you Ace?  He gave me a real weird look. I told him what it meant, and he freaked right out and took the ring off.  

That's funny.  I've always wondered how I would react if I ever see someone "out in the wild" with an apparent Ace ring. I'm pretty shy with strangers but it would be such a rare thing that I'd probably pipe up. 

Did anyone wear their ring or other item before being out? If so did anyone piece it together?

9 hours ago, Vicky Angel said:

Did anyone wear their ring or other item before being out? If so did anyone piece it together?

I never made a big announcement on Facebook or otherwise, but I am more open now if that's what you mean by being out.

I mentioned before that I first started wearing a ring when I was still struggling to accept myself. It was a reminder that I wasn't alone, there are other people like me. The only people who have ever approached me were other aces, and that was years later. So far that's been two out in the wild.

• Like 1

I have an ace ring and wear it quite frequently. I wear it as a reminder of ace pride and that I'm ok and not broken. It's nice and subtle and the only person to ever notice already knew I was ace (she's like the only person who knows).

• Like 3
On 12/30/2016 at 2:25 AM, Vicky Angel said:

I wear my ring around people I'm not out to yet a lot, and nobody has ever figured it out (except the one ace stranger I talked about in my first post, but I never saw her again).  I only wear my ring in places where I'd be comfortable coming out if asked about the ring, but it's so rare that people figure it out that I probably don't need to.

The only people who've ever noticed or commented on my ring are other aces. I've been wearing it every day for almost a year now. Very few people have ever even heard of it. I think maybe three people have recognized it? Mostly it's just a reminder of the community, for me. If you want to wear one, I say go for it!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

On the black ring topic... take a look at this picture and note the "apparent" Ace ring on his right hand...

http://mashable.com/2017/01/14/joe-buck-packers-cowboys/#S.xac_HXcZqo

I'm going to say it's not an Ace ring though... I looked him up and he's had multiple wives and kids, so probably not an Ace.

Maybe he's a confused swinger.  Or he could just like black rings, since he's got one on his other hand too.

I've never worn a black ring before but I think I'd like to. Not sure if I can find one that fits my taste tho😅

• Like 1

I would really like to get a ring, i like wearing them and recently lost one I had a for a few years snorkeling. problem is only a few people know i am asexual and i haven't had the best responses so i don't think i would have the courage to wear it in case somebody did point it out, (i am pretty sure a girl where i work knows or suspects and it puts a fear in me). I think though i will get one but maybe just keep it in my pocket or something, maybe one day i will be brave enough to wear it :D 

Thanks to everyone with the awesome links and i am loving the code phrase haha

• Like 1
CentaurianPrincess

I think mostly only other aces would notice the significance. I also have a glitter resin ring with this rainbow leopard that's my avatar. I sometimes wear rainbow stuff simply because I like it and have been afraid of being mistaken for gay.

imnotafreakofnature!
On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Tja said:

jtg0104.jpgWell...I've tried calling to the power of the other rings, but...nothing, so far:P

I liked this idea so much that I got one of my own. I just got it a few days ago and it's put me on a Tolkein kick again, so I've started reading the books again. About a third of the way through The Silmarillion right now.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, imnotafreakofnature! said:

I liked this idea so much that I got one of my own. I just got it a few days ago and it's put me on a Tolkein kick again, so I've started reading the books again. About a third of the way through The Silmarillion right now.

Cool!!! Maybe it works, after all!;)

On 26/12/2016 at 6:37 AM, BreeZaps said:

I want to get a ring but I am scared of rings getting stuck on my finger.

I just found a set of black rings on Amazon that are just cuffs, so they fit all sizes. You might like something like that? I don't normally wear rings, but I really like the idea of having something readily at hand to remind me that the way I human isn't wrong, so I'm trying out that kind.

• Like 1
TheLastOfSheila
On 12/19/2016 at 3:15 AM, borkfork said:

I've run into two people in the wild who identified my ring and both were wearing their own. One was in front of me in line at the grocery store and the other at a munch. I've noticed other people looking, especially in the kink community and in LGBTQA friendly places.

I got mine here because metal allergy + skinny fingers. They also have them in ace colors and whatnot. 

However, I mostly got a ring as a comfort when I was still struggling to accept to myself. Now it's become a comfort object (security blanket).

I have the same problem, I am allergic to most metals except for pure gold and pure silver.  Any alloys are a disaster for me.  I like the rings shown at your link, but I have the opposite of skinny fingers.  How sturdy is your ring?  Has it held up well?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheLastOfSheila said:

I have the same problem, I am allergic to most metals except for pure gold and pure silver.  Any alloys are a disaster for me.  I like the rings shown at your link, but I have the opposite of skinny fingers.  How sturdy is your ring?  Has it held up well?

It has held up, it's flexible and comfortable. I had to get a new one a few months ago because I lost weight. I also recommend looking up resin rings.

• Like 1