Zzzzzzz....

Snao Cone

AVENites and Sleep  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How much sleep do you get on an average night?

• 9+ hours
    • 7-8
    • 6-7
    • 4-6
    • 0-4
  2. 2. How much sleep do you need to feel your best?

• 9+ hours
    • 7-8
    • 6-7
    • 4-6
    • 0-4
  3. 3. How much sleep do you need, at minimum, to function properly?

• 9+ hours
    • 7-8
    • 6-7
    • 4-6
    • 0-4
  4. 4. Do you have a diagnosed sleeping disorder?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not officially diagnosed
  5. 5. Do your online habits affect your sleep (i.e. do you stay up late on AVEN or other websites)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/I can't tell

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm wondering what our sleeping habits and needs are like. Maybe AVENites are more likely to be insomniacs because we spend so much time here. :P

I sleep more because of medication I'm on now, but without it I only need 5-6 hours. So I would stay up late just to wake up at a normal time.

biancaboricua13

My sleep has sucked since my first deployment and still sucks, however, sleeping pills don't work well for me. They make me quite groggy the next day so I try to go to bed at a decent hour and hope that I get some sleep. If I don't, I always have the weekend...le sigh...

I tend to stay up late because of the internet, but I love sleeping! I'm a Professional NapperTM   so sometimes I'll take like a 2-3 hour nap when I get home from classes and it's probably bad for me and I should stop. But also.. I probably wont.

I usually get 7-8 hours, which is what I need to feel my best. I usually need 4-6 hours at a minimum to function. One day when I was in college I did go to school on just 2 hours of sleep because for some reason I stayed up most of the night, but I felt very weird and lightheaded all day. I don't have a sleep disorder, but sometimes the internet does cause me to go to sleep an hour or two later than I planned.

Ideally I need around five and a half hours,  although I can get by on a lot less,  sometimes just a couple of hours will do. There are times when AVEN,  YouTube or a book reduce that to almost zero 

I definitely spend time online later than I should. :P I'm grateful to work from home on my own schedule, so I don't have to wake up early, but when I had to, I could function on 4-6 hours, but believe me...that's not ideal lol! I am diagnosed with insomnia and have been for years, so the sleep that I get is from sleeping pills...if I didn't take them, I would maybe get 2-3 hours a night.

I always stayed up late before AVEN, but now it's later;  not just AVEN (my only blog/forum/whatever this is called) but all the news outlets.  Each night I say I'll turn the light out at 1 AM but then it's always 3 AM.  1 AM would be early for me.

Whoever said they can have 4-6 hours and function properly, can I have some of what you're having? 

Anthracite_Impreza

I'm a terrible sleeper, I'm constantly tired. Either the computer's too interesting, my brain musings are too interesting, or my brain just decides to be a cock and won't switch off.

I am a good sleeper, I suffer if I have many late nights, and I am not by inclination an early riser.  I will always wake once during the night.  I very rarely remember my dreams.

It's not easy when you have to wake up at 06 and you live in GMT+2 time zone, which means everything happens at like 19-02, so there isn't much time to sleep :(.

If fortune is in my favor in a good night, I get almost 9 hours of sleep, but 8 is the most usual amount of hours for me. If I have trouble sleeping, I'll get slightly less and the worst-case scenario is to get less than 6 hours. Even though it's a worst-case scenario, they still happen occasionally.

I like to sleep for about 8 hours and I usually feel the best with that. Any more than that I feel sluggish and less I'm just constantly tired. I can function on no less than 4 hours but I have went to work after an all nighter - weirdest work day of my life. Can't remember half of it.

9 hours ago, Acciuga said:

Whoever said they can have 4-6 hours and function properly, can I have some of what you're having? 

I can function for a day or two on less than 4 hours of sleep per night and a week straight on 4-6. But I also have chronic conditions worsened by inadequate sleep, so even with average mental and physical functioning I am at risk of something bigger and sudden.

So, you know, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Working shifts is no help at all. I'm a rubbish sleeper. 6-7hrs would be alright but I've spent countless nights with 2hrs or so. Doesn't really change much because I look like these guys anyways, most of the time.

I know I should pay more attention to sleeping properly because it's getting harder and harder to handle continued sleep deprivation as I age. But then, meh.

I usually need about 12 hours to feel as good as I can, but I usually end up getting about 6 to 8 because of faffing about on (usually) AVEN. I can manage on 6 minimum, but it's not pleasant :P

J. van Deijck

I'd need about 12 hours of sleep to feel good, but I usually sleep 3-4 hours and not more. That's why I'm barely conscious. 

During the week, I get about ~5 hours sleep/night. On the weekends, it depends. Sometimes, when the week was good and not too exhausting, I'll be fine with regular 7-8 hours of sleep (with a shifted day-night-cycle), but when the week/people drained me, I'll often sleep 10-12 hours. I couldn't really answer the feel good question because sleep for me is like coma. I don't particularly "feel good" after I wake up. The less sleep I get, the better I feel.

Do you ever get that feeling when you believe that you don't need sleep and stay up for 72 hours?

cavalier080854

My sleeping patterns are governed by the light level outside. In the summer I average 2-3 hours for 4 months. In the winter I average 5-6 hours. So long as I'm active I'm fine, slow down and I drift.

cavalier080854
2 minutes ago, Akui++ said:

Do you ever get that feeling when you believe that you don't need sleep and stay up for 72 hours?

I have gone without sleep for 168 hours non stop. And again for 120 hours (both in the military). Though I couldn't do it now, old age creeps up on you, a little nap for a few minutes is taking over my life now.

cavalier080854
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:41 PM, Akui++ said:

That can't be good for your mental health. Is that still legal?

No it isn't legal now. But the 168 hours was spent erecting tents and fitting out electrical services for refugees when the turks invaded Cyprus in 1974 and the Turkish Cypriots fled to the British base in the west and the Greek Cypriots fled to the British base in the east. The 120 hours was when someone didn't fit the drainage plugs in the battalions AFV's, so they all sank in a river crossing. I had to remove repair and refit the entire battalions radios to get them back in the exercise pronto. If not me then who ( I was on my own). Today you can only work 12 hours because of the European Working time Directive. With a 12 hour break between shifts. Though you can work a maximum of 16 hours on a last shift basis.

cavalier080854

I forgot to mention, If I sleep for more than 8 hours, I get a headache. but regardless of how much sleep I get, I bounce out of bed. I guess I'm a morning person.

The amount of sleep varies a lot, because I don't really stick to an kind of sleep schedule.  But I would say that I probably average around 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night (with a very high variance).  I think I feel the best with around 7 or 8 hours, but I don't really get that much all the time, which often leads to me crashing and oversleeping on the weekends.

Archived