Any Cockatiel owners?

Taijavu

Hey! I've been doing some research, and as I would really like to own a pet but my mother and niece are deathly allergic to cats, and really enjoyed the company of the bio building's conure at university, I've been thinking of getting a cockatiel. The ones at the pet store are such cute, friendly little guys :) Is anyone here a cockatiel fan, or have any tips for a prospective beginning bird owner?

oooh i love love cockatiel birds. 

i think these birds need lots of training are very intelligent and need a decent space for them to be housed in. sorry that is all i know :) 

wishing you all the best in your search for a new buddy

I have a cockatiel. He is a white face pearl male, about five years old. They are great birds and very affectionate once bonded to you. Mine loves to cuddle and offers kisses, nuzzles and is what they call a "velcro bird", he will be on me 24/7 if I let him.

Some cons though to pretty much any bird:

They can be loud. My bird can be heard in every room of our house and outside if he gets going. And occasionally he is noisy even when happy. Every day I leave for work he also flock calls me, which my mom can hear in her bedroom. This is just the nature of birds. If noise is going to be an issue, do not get a bird.

They have dietary needs that not all pet stores know about. Seeds alone will not cut it. They need to be trained to eat fresh fruits, vegetables and grains alongside their normal food. A seed only diet can lead to deficiencies and fatty liver disease. Pellet only diets can lead to other health issues. They need variety.

They are social animals. A solo bird is fine if you can devote about four hours a day to your bird. Otherwise, a companion would be good. Tiels don't tend to pluck like other species of parrots but they can  get depressed if left alone too much. 

They need exercise. And an ample cage space. Most pet store cages are too tiny. They have large wing spans for their size and they do "flappies" to exercise (flap their wings fast like taking off but don't fly) so they need room to do that. The larger the better, but I recommend something like the HQ flight. 1" bar spacing or smaller, you don't want their wings getting caught in the bars and broken. 

Tiels specifically are prone to night frights. This is like night terrors for humans. They will wake up some nights terrified and frantic, flapping around into whatever they can hit and will hurt themselves if not calmed. Due to this a night light is recommended. I have to get up a few times a year at 2-3am, turn the light on and talk to my bird until he calms down. He has broken a few blood feathers this way, so keep quick stop or something on hand for bleeds. If the bleed won't stop, you have to have them pulled or they will bleed to death. But, mine hasn't had any bad ones since I keep him in a sleep cage (small pet store cage) with no toys etc at night so fewer things to hit. Usually his frights are over in a few minutes with no issues at all due to that. He gets transferred to his larger cage once he wakes up in the morning, or if I have to leave the house. 

That's very helpful, thank you! I had no idea the night frights could be so dangerous! Thanks, the both of you :)

Archived