Feeling confused and in need of support

Guest VeganGal

Guest VeganGal

Hi there

I am a little confused at the moment. I'm an older woman (57) living in the UK and I have had relationships with men and women. I was most comfortable when I was with a guy who was asexual (so no sex), but when that ended, I got into the whole mindset that I would have to have sex to be in a relationship. I think this outlook has been influential for some years now. But I really don't enjoy it! I love to be close to someone... to hold hands and kiss, but sex is just a real stress for me.

So I guess what I am wondering, is whether anyone else feels the same?  The whole idea that to be in a relationship involves sex is so prevalent. I really would love to meet someone who feels the same as me but I kind of assume this just won't happen.  It's starting to feel like the lonely planet, but I just don't want to pretend anymore and put myself through the stress of having sex when it actually isn't for me.

Be happy to hear any advice

Thanks

VeganGal

So, on the one hand my experience is that if I don't introduce sex in a relationship (with a non asexual) the relationship will end quickly, but, on the other hand, sex is so meaningless to me that even if I introduce it in a relationship with a non asexual, the person will know that I am not into it and the relationship will end anyway.

Best solution - a relationship with another asexual person.

Hi there,

I think I understand where you're coming from, although I'll admit that I haven't been in a physical relationship yet. Mostly because I am not interested in sex and I've yet to find someone who would be okay with that. I have to keep reminding myself that a relationship is built in other things like trust, mutual interests and friendship and while sex is seen as an important part of relationships it is ONLY one part of a whole. If it's something you're not comfortable doing then a good partner is going to respect that and not pressure you.

On another note, one of my friends has recently started dating a lovely guy who is completely fine with her asexuality even though he's not ace himself. So these wonderful people do exist - the hard bit is finding them.