Is 'sex' drive a misnomer?

henpen82

One question I get is 'do I not have a sex drive' - and in the past I've explained - yes i do have a sex drive but no desire to have sex!

but lately I've realised 'sex' drive is such as misnomer and should almost be 'a drive to orgasim', sex being a rather specific thing in relation of it being relational and about exchange between two people!

thats how I tend to explain it to people now! yes I have a hormonal need to orgasim, but I don't want to do it with anyone or through relational means!

Start a new trend! Tell everyone you have a wank drive :P

Completely agree.  Asexuality seems to me to be about having no urge to share your sexuality with anyone else, rather than having no sexual inclinations. 

I am not an expert, but I though sex drive was exactly what the name says it is, a drive to have sex. Unless I am missing something, I don't see where the misnomer is. 

UrbanPrimitive

I'm with @borkfork. I use the term libido to describe the biological drive for sexual release. For most people that includes some form of attraction to another person and relates directly to sex. For me, lacking the experience of sexual attraction, it is simply the biological function that needs to be served, similar to excreting waste or exercising. Being a utilitarian biological function doesn't change the fact that it can be pleasurable, like eating very tasty food. The dynamic shifts in the context of an emotionally significant relationship that is also sexual. Just like taking great pride and pleasure in preparing an excellent meal for a partner who greatly enjoys it, I take similar pride in providing a partner with physical pleasure. But even in that context the mechanic of sexual attraction is absent. I don't have a cognitive or emotional drive to engage in sex for its own sake.

UrbanPrimitive
On 12/6/2016 at 1:36 PM, dissolved said:

Start a new trend! Tell everyone you have a wank drive :P

This leads to the dangerous question "where are you collecting donations for the drive?"

Archived