How does mental arousal work really ?

Skyl

I have no clue if there is a need to split the two. - Mental vs. physical stimulation would make way more sense. Anyhow: The non physical spectrum of arousal would be described as hard to spot / gauge from the outside; i.e. no visible erection. The guy might appear mentally elsewhere though / obviously fascinated by something he focuses on. Masturbation breaks taken during that mindset should be shorter than average ones.

UrbanPrimitive

TRIGGER WARNING: Non-consensual sex discussed below.

The split between mental and physical arousal is most easily illustrated in the example of a man having sex. With the presence of consent, physical, and mental arousal everything is groovy and hopefully both parties have a great time. It is possible that even in the presence of mental and physical arousal the man would not give consent, but for the purposes of this discussion that only muddies the waters. Let's look at the other end of the spectrum instead. It is possible, during non-consensual sex, for a man's genitalia to respond to the physical stimulus of sex, often including orgasm, without any mental/emotional arousal at all. That's the autonomic nervous system doing its job, responding to the stimulus as programmed, and circumventing cognitive brain function. The other side of the experience is also possible, for mental/emotional arousal to occur without any physical response. The most straight forward example of this is among men with erectile dysfunction.

TRIGGERS END.

The experiences of physical and mental arousal are complimentary, but independent. In my experience, mental arousal is similar to an intense interest, like when having a conversation that is exhilarating, exciting, and other words that begin with "e". Many people rely on physical expressions of arousal to indicate they they are, in fact, mentally aroused. It takes some exploration to learn what arousal in a purely mental expression feels like.

For me, mental arousal is pretty much indistinguishable from an adrenaline rush. It's pleasurable, it heightens my senses, it fires up my imagination, and it sucks me into the world of whatever thing/person I'm being drawn toward.

On 12/3/2016 at 8:24 PM, Busrider said:

I have no clue if there is a need to split the two. - Mental vs. physical stimulation would make way more sense. 

I agree. I don't think "mental arousal" makes any sense because arousal is a physical thing. Mental stimulation can cause arousal though. 

17 hours ago, m4rble said:

I agree. I don't think "mental arousal" makes any sense because arousal is a physical thing. Mental stimulation can cause arousal though. 

No, mental/neurological arousal is very much a thing. To "rouse" somebody is to wake them from sleep. Merriam-Webster defines it as "to rouse or stimulate to action or to physiological readiness for activity; to excite".

1 minute ago, kisupure said:

No, mental/neurological arousal is very much a thing. To "rouse" somebody is to wake them from sleep. Merriam-Webster defines it as "to rouse or stimulate to action or to physiological readiness for activity; to excite".

Yeah, that type of arousal makes sense but it isn't sexual arousal. I meant there isn't mental sexual arousal. 

6 minutes ago, m4rble said:

Yeah, that type of arousal makes sense but it isn't sexual arousal. I meant there isn't mental sexual arousal. 

Says who?

Adrenaline is almost a purely sexual mix of neurochemicals for me, and sex without adrenaline or smut that does not give me an adrenaline rush is actually a turn-off. So if A = B, and B = C, then A should equal C. For me, at least.

1 minute ago, kisupure said:

Says who?

Adrenaline is almost a purely sexual mix of neurochemicals for me, and sex without adrenaline or smut that does not give me an adrenaline rush is actually a turn-off. So if A = B, and B = C, then A should equal C. For me, at least.

Okay then, if that's how you experience it. I don't see it that way in my mind because it seems too difficult to pin down when it's based on mental feelings so it's difficult for me to understand. 

I have no idea what mental arousal is... I guess if it's sort of recognition of physical arousal and then "hmm yeah, I could go for some of that". In that way, they occur almost simultaneously for me.

Actually, if it's being in the mood for sexytimes, then I absolutely experience it, and physical arousal for me is a result of being in the mood.

For me, mental (sexual type of) arousal always comes first, and only later can lead to physical arousal. (Well, except if I'm masturbating out of sheer boredom and basically force both arousals at the same time). I often hope, that the purely mental arousal could last longer, without even leading to the physical part, because the physical arousal mean that it will be over soon, and it's usually disappointing for me. My point is, they certainly seem like separate things to me, even if they are connected (more than I would like).

On 12/7/2016 at 2:13 PM, m4rble said:

Okay then, if that's how you experience it. I don't see it that way in my mind because it seems too difficult to pin down when it's based on mental feelings so it's difficult for me to understand. 

I definitely concede that it's probably not the norm in any way.

-

It's also useful to note in general, that the brain is the biggest erogenous zone, too.

6 minutes ago, kisupure said:

I definitely concede that it's probably not the norm in any way.

-

It's also useful to note in general, that the brain is the biggest erogenous zone, too.

What's not the norm? I know you probably mean, "in the mood" but I think emotions are harder to pin down than physical body reactions. 

34 minutes ago, kisupure said:

I dunno about you, but I've never had anyone touch my brain. Well, apart from a paramedic once. It didn't turn me on though. Too much blood.

Other than the head, I'm not sure what else you could mean...

1 hour ago, m4rble said:

What's not the norm? I know you probably mean, "in the mood" but I think emotions are harder to pin down than physical body reactions. 

I suppose "the norm" being, "that person is hot/I want to sexually interact with them" as mental arousal, rather than "this could land me in the hospital".

48 minutes ago, dissolved said:

I dunno about you, but I've never had anyone touch my brain. Well, apart from a paramedic once. It didn't turn me on though. Too much blood.

Other than the head, I'm not sure what else you could mean...

The mind is generally the arbiter of what is and is not sexy, right? It needs to be engaged in order to have a genuinely good time, in the same way that a vagina needs to be lubricated or a penis needs to be erect. Otherwise any old physical stimulation will do, and we all know that's just not how it works. (Ask any cisguy going through puberty - if their brain's not in it, then it's just annoying... at best.)

1 hour ago, kisupure said:

I suppose "the norm" being, "that person is hot/I want to sexually interact with them" as mental arousal, rather than "this could land me in the hospital".

The mind is generally the arbiter of what is and is not sexy, right? It needs to be engaged in order to have a genuinely good time, in the same way that a vagina needs to be lubricated or a penis needs to be erect. Otherwise any old physical stimulation will do, and we all know that's just not how it works. (Ask any cisguy going through puberty - if their brain's not in it, then it's just annoying... at best.)

I think I'm too asexual for this discussion. 

1 hour ago, kisupure said:

I understand perfectly, but I was under the impression that "erogenous zone" referred to areas of skin that can be stimulated in order to cause arousal, when the area is not always associated with anything sexual.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived