"Is asexuality a sexual orientation?"

Heart

Hey look, a thing!

@aceghost, @michaeld and I were interviewed for this article, along with Dr Brotto (and maybe Dr Bogaert? Or maybe the author pulled quotations from elsewhere? I'm not sure, I'd have to read it when I'm not in the middle of a night shift...) written by a local reporter in Vancouver. It's a discussion along the lines of "what the heck is this thing called asexuality?" and talks about whether it's an orientation, a lack of an orientation... or what.

Thoughtfully written, I enjoyed it :)

Link: http://www.dailyxtra.com/canada/news-and-ideas/news/asexuality-sexual-orientation-211264

Hermit Advocate

Very well written. I liked it.

Fantastic article. Covered a lot of different aspects; it's also nice how it gave explanations for the "you don't know until you've tried it" argument that many aces receive.

Athiesm - Absence of theism independant of conditions

Asexuality - Absence of sexuality not affected by definition of sexuality

I used igtheism and atheism meanings to account for conditions

They are however a theological position, and likewise asexuality is a orientation. Orientation refers to direction and magnitude, thus asexual is negliably different than a vector point to the naked eye.

WhenSummersGone

I like this! They explained things well. I have to point out in that article that Demisexual (because I'm Demisexual) is only experiencing sexual attraction/desire after an emotional bond has been made (and only some bonds). So not just being sexual in emotional relationships which sounds more normal to me. I just see a difference between the two.

Nice article! It summarized things really well and I loved the llama quote:rolleyes: (I might use it later to explain things).

Tbh, I'm not sure if its a sexual orientation as much as it is the lack thereof. Children before adolescence are asexual, in a sense, so I think its really a lack of orientation, not an orientation in itself. Actually, you could argue that during the developmental cycle, children experience romantic attraction before they ever experience sexual attraction. (I'm not saying asexuals have developmental issues, I'm using an analogy.) Especially when you get into demisexuality, it becomes more apparent that its just weaker sexuality, not its own orientation. I really don't know to be honest. Just my 2c.

• 1 month later...
All the little Lights
On 2. Dezember 2016 at 2:58 AM, Reptillian said:

Athiesm - Absence of theism independant of conditions

Asexuality - Absence of sexuality not affected by definition of sexuality

I used igtheism and atheism meanings to account for conditions

They are however a theological position, and likewise asexuality is a orientation. Orientation refers to direction and magnitude, thus asexual is negliably different than a vector point to the naked eye.

Well, if you see orientation as a vector, then asexuality is just the zero-vector! (Otherwise written as (0,0,0) in 3-dimensional space)

That brings me to some interesting thoughts, thank you!

This article is really interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

Archived