Welcome to the upgraded AVEN!

Coleslaw

Hello everyone,

WE MADE IT! We have migrated all AVEN properties and partners to our new server infrastructure after a complete audit and upgrade of all sites. This was an extreme undertaking, and I'd like to give a special thank you to our partner language administrators for their help and support. They are: aceventure, baikal, danyfantasy, diego83, kexik, kroliklu, maz, and roadrunner. Additionally, thanks to our own Robin L for the continued wiki mastery!

I'd like to also thank incredimike and zimou from AVEN/fr for their server work. Without incredimike's server architecture and the support of zimou in building and testing it, we would not be here right now. Thank you both for the weeks of hard work! You deserve all the credit for this successful migration!

Now, with regards to the forum:

We are currently processing files from the upgrade. There are hundreds of thousands of queries being run as background tasks. Over the next few days, THERE WILL BE BUGS. If you encounter a critical bug (that is, something that breaks the site) please verify that it hasn't been reported here yet and reply to this thread. Once we ensure all critical bugs are fixed, we will investigate all display issues.

Thank you again, everyone, for your long awaited patience here. The server will be league better moving forward. If you would like to contribute to the costs of the server, we will be hosting yearly fundraising to keep the power on. Please consider donating, and to all those who have contributed, this migration is all thanks to you and your support. We literally could not have done it without you. Thank you.

Thanks,
Coleslaw, on behalf of the whole tech team

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Avatars are being batch updated and should be slowly restored
  • Post content in BBCode format (including emoticons) is being batch updated and should be slowly restored

*sings* *dances*

Thank you so much! I hope that several streets and places get renamed after you guys :)

geek-cake1.jpg

Dude! the mobile site looks so much better! thanks :biggrin:... 

A huge thanks to everyone involved!! :biggrin: The new site looks amazing!

On a side note, I think I came across a small error while logging in again today. I use Lastpass and when autofilling the site won't login, instead just shows an error (EX0 I believe). Manually typing the username and pasting the password in works but for some reason it doesn't permit autofilling.

Not a huge issue, but perhaps one to look at once all the critical fixes are out of the way :happy:

Woot! Thank you so much everyone, from the Tech Team and those who supported this migration. I love the new look so much (and it's so much faster)! :D I noticed some old bugs we used to have have been fixed as well, so that's awesome!

The site looks 100% more awesome now! Everything is Shiny.

Gonna miss the old theme though..

Well done,  everyone.  Great work :cake::cake:

Luftschlosseule

Whoa! Looks modern. If that's a good or bad thing I don't know yet, I first need to explore.
I found two bugs: I had a notification but when I click on the notifications there are none. And the unread content page looks is blanc.

I use firefox 50.0, if that's a help.

Thank you all for your work! (:

Haha, when the site where I am a mod myself underwent some long overdue maintenance and software updates, everyone just kept complaining how things didn't look the exact same way afterwards :D and here everyone is just happy to have Aven back :)

Yaaaaaaay! It's so nice and shiny and new! Thanks everyone!

Although... Don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but it's telling me that the site is offline, and a few minutes ago it wouldn't load at all.

We're temporarily up while we continue to explore the database optimizations we can make to ensure a fast experience. Hoping this is it!

Apostle of Carlin

Lookin' good! There's always going to be some glitches, but it's coming together!

Thanks for all the hard work!

cavalier080854

All my notifications are missing and I only get a blank. "Whats on Your Mind " has no archive beyond the forum page, though that might be that non exists yet.

But yeah, streets better and no lag time. Three cheers for the tech team.

Jade Gryphion

Cole, don't know if you've seen yet, but while the Forums seem to be up and running, the Home page is still down for some reason.

I'm loving the new look, great job!

butterflydreams

Wow! Great work!

:cake: all around!

Hermit Advocate

I have to reload the page a few times before I can access the text box.

This is just awesome :)

A big Thank you to all you "nerds" who work so hard behind the scene - you are Aven's unsung heroes.

Yay!! So glad we're back! Thanks tech team for all your hard work! :cake:

Thanks also to everyone who donated to the new server, making the transfer possible!

Janus the Fox

Looks much better and up to date, something that should of happen long ago.

Update any profile picks, display names and possibly signatures, different requirements for these, may look glitched as mine did.

Ahh, amazing job, Cole and everyone that helped with this huge undertaking!!! Thank you, thank you, wonderful!! *huuuuuugs*

This will take me a while to adjust to, though. Besides the avatars (I just reuploaded mine), I've noticed that all of my friends/followers are gone. Will those be restored? Or do we need to re-add?

Related image

20 minutes ago, kelico said:

This will take me a while to adjust to, though. Besides the avatars (I just reuploaded mine), I've noticed that all of my friends/followers are gone. Will those be restored? Or do we need to re-add?

Avatars, emoticons, BBCode in posts, and other settings like that are slowly being updated in the database to reference current paths. This will take a few days to fully sort out as we have so much content, but it will resolve on its own with time!

As for friends/followers, that will have to be rebuilt manually. To explain why they disappeared:

"Friends" was a feature that had little impact on anything for the users (you could add friends and they could add you but that was about it for functionality), so it was scrapped in favour of "followers", which is a different, albeit similar, system that allows you add people you're interested in seeing content from and receive notifications for their posts. For example, you could follow someone like Cicero and receive an inline notification for every AVEN Digest post he creates.

During the upgrade, they suggested allowing all users to rebuild this list instead of importing "friends" into "followers" as it would become an extremely spammy system if you were not aware that you'd receive post notifications for all the people you "follow". Since being added as a friend by someone else automatically made them a friend of yours too (by default), it could get very out of hand very quickly for some people who rely on streamline notifications.

Hope that help!

Archived