US election - skype support group

michaeld

Hi all,

I know from speaking to some of you how upset, worried and fearful many of you are at the US election result. I'll be honest: I am too.

I think at a time like this it's important we come together as a community and support each other. It's only a small thing, but I'd like to start a skype group for those who need to talk about it in a supportive and respectful atmosphere.

This will be a bit experimental as I've never really run a group like this before (and if I can find people willing to help me with it, that'd be great). I'm out at work most of the day so won't be able to personally attend to the group the whole time. I don't intend for it to be moderated like AVEN is - just a simple "be nice, respectful and no personal attacks against others in the group". While clearly it's people of colour and other ethnic minorities, women, LGBTQ+ people and other minority groups who I think need most support right now, you don't have to be any of those things to be anxious or upset about this result. If you either need support right now, or would like to offer support to those who do, you're welcome to take part.

If you would like to take part in the group, please PM me or email aven.pt@gmail.com. The latter might actually be quicker because my PT colleges will also be able to get that, and if they're in the group they can add people too. (If you already have me on skype, just ping me.)

I'd also recommend the election support resource sticky that Kisa put up.

Take care,

michaeld

Archived