Help us support AVEN's server!

michaeld

To kick off, AAW, we'd like to make a concerted effort to raise enough money to fund our server for the next year. Many of you know we are moving to a new server shortly, which will hopefully make the site far more stable. Our objective is to be able to raise enough money in AAW to cover the new server costs for 1 year.

Here is a video by the one and only David Jay!

Here is the tilt page[1]:

https://www.tilt.com/tilts/avens-servers

We would really appreciate any contributions - you would be helping make our website more stable!

Social media will follow, plus as many of you have suggested the link to our fundraising efforts should be more visible, so we'll be pinning it above each forum shortly.

Thanks again!!

[1] for the purposes of transparency, I should say we do not expect any of the money we raise to go to tax, given we are a 501©3 and currently under the threshold for paying tax; however the site tilt we are using for AAW will take a cut, we expect of the order 7-8%.

EDIT: no in fact there is no such cut (phew!) The only thing is a 3% charge if you pay by credit card. If you have a Visa or Mastercard debit card, there are no charges!

Would have preferred a 'Paypal' option and for some reason it didn't like my 'sky' email...*shrugs*

Thanks for the help, Tan!

For future reference for everyone, Paypal option is always present (here); we thought people would like to see the progress on the fundraisers for AAW so we made the Tilt one. Please give it priority if it's a possibility :)

Not really a problem, Ith - if anyone hacked into my account, they'd probably set up a 'Go Fund Me' page in sympathy :D

I went to donate, but the website was going to charge me an extra 3% because I don't have a visa or mastercard debit; only interact debit or credit card. I figured with the 3% and the website taking ~7-8%, that's 10% of my donation gone :(

I donated again to the paypal instead. I know the progress bar is exciting, so I'm sorry I didn't contribute through the tilt campaign. I wish you luck!!

I'm now happy to confirm that there is no cut! Only thing is a 3% charge if you pay by credit card, or with a non-Visa/Mastercard debit card. If you have a Visa or Mastercard debit card, there's no cut! :)

Thanks everyone who donated so far - it's really appreciated! :cake:

This is so great!! Awesome news. It's really very nice to hear from David Jay on this, too! : ) The donations to the Paypal link all count, right? They just don't show up on the Tilt total?

:cake: :cake: :cake:

Just get cloudflare or some other CDN to mirror the site and reduce bandwidth. Cheaper and easier to implement.

This is so great!! Awesome news. It's really very nice to hear from David Jay on this, too! : ) The donations to the Paypal link all count, right? They just don't show up on the Tilt total?

:cake: :cake: :cake:

Yep!

Just get cloudflare or some other CDN to mirror the site and reduce bandwidth. Cheaper and easier to implement.

I've asked our techies about this sort of thing before, and it seems not to be an option unfortunately. I don't know the exact details, but it ultimately comes down to CPU time.

So yeah we really need this new server - the outages are frustrating - and it's great so many people are chipping in. :cake:

If you need help with funds, put the damn donation button on the index page, that way everyone sees it (guests and members), every time they refresh the page. This will help you get funds SO MUCH MORE than just this random topic.

As mentioned in my OP we are going to pin it above each forum.

It's already also on the AVEN front page.

As mentioned in my OP we are going to pin it above each forum.

Already done. :)

Where? I don't see any donation button or link to a donation button on the index of the forums.

It is as an announcement on the top of each forum (not each thread, but that would be cool).

Should we use something more obvious? More visibility is good. :)

Maybe post a few stasuses from time to time. I've found that's a lot more noticeable than having an announcement at the top of every forum.

IMO, the most visible places by far would be one link on the site's front page and one link on top of the forum index. With that, no need to post more links.

This is exciting. I hope there are buttons or whatever is needed to reach the goal. If everyone online now gave $15 USD, the goal would be met!

I agree with suggestions to have something noticeable at the top of the forum index and the front page. The announcements and link on the front page are ok, but not super noticeable! I would love to help design a graphic/banner if that's an idea people think would work.

I agree with suggestions to have something noticeable at the top of the forum index and the front page. The announcements and link on the front page are ok, but not super noticeable

It's certainly better than it was before, but I do still agree with the former. I'm glad to hear that something more is being done, keep up the good work.

giphy.gif

I agree with suggestions to have something noticeable at the top of the forum index and the front page. The announcements and link on the front page are ok, but not super noticeable! I would love to help design a graphic/banner if that's an idea people think would work.

Oo, you could make a banner and whoever is interested could put it in their signature with a link. Grassroots forum modification.

I'm passing on the suggestion of a button or banner to our tech admins. Ultimately they are the only ones who can make that sort of change. I really appreciate the offer to help with a design; I'll let you know what the techies say! :cake:

It's probably just a combination of sunset/edge of a cloud, but it looks like there's a subtle rainbow shooting out of DJ's head in that video :lol:

butterflydreams

I'm in. I wish I could chip in more.

Server/hosting costs are tough, I know that.

I made a few mini banners/buttons. : ) Anyone is free to put them in your profiles (About Me section) and link to this thread or the donation links, if you'd like! I would also say signature, but just remember that because of a glitch, only Admins can insert images into sigs so you'd have to ask one to do so. : )

avenserversupportbutton4_zpsm6iegw1o.png

-------------

avenserversupportbutton3_zpsi7pbo2ye.png

-------------

avenserversupportbutton2_zpswx814jhg.png

-------------

avenserversupportbutton1_zps8fnfnypr.png

-------------

avenserversupportbutton5_zps4vi25e89.png

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed. :cake: :wub:

Our present; old server was down so much of Asexual Awareness Week that we might not have been there as a site for people hoping to come and join AVEN or read the posts. Urgh. We look forward to the new server and to avoid these outages. We have so much traffic that our old one can't keep up.

We are just over half-way to the fund-raising goal and have three days left.

If we all put in a ten or twenty, we can make it. :)

Archived