Just Friends? Or More?

salamanda

Hello everyone,

My name is Mandy and I'm new here but I can't go another minute without getting this question out there and hopefully answered! :)

I've been best friends with this guy for 4 years now, we met briefly when I was a junior in high school, and we've lived together as roommates with 2 other friends of ours at university for the last two years. We spend most of our time together and can always make each other laugh. He knows more about me than my own family and challenges me everyday to be better and stronger. We can spend 10 hours of the day within 10 feet of each other and can sometimes still find ourselves stopped in the hallway between our bedroom doors for an extra hour just talking to each other before we really have to go to bed. We play soccer together, go on vacations together, and spend time with each other's families. People think we're a couple, even close friends of ours do, until we explicitly say we are just friends. On a busy day, if our paths don't cross, my day feels so incomplete.

He's not the only friend I've ever had, but my previous close friends were a little different. I had another best friend for three years before him and she was great and we had lots of fun whenever we went shopping together, or went out to eat, or went on a vacation. I have no negative feelings about this friendship and was always excited to see her. We talked and spent time with other regularly, but I rarely missed her if I went a few days without seeing her and never really missed her too terribly once we went our separate ways.

Are we more than just friends? Or had I just never had a true best friend before he came along? Like, is my friendship with him normal for two people in a platonic friendship and I just have no idea because my previous friendships were kind of mediocre?

I could write a novel on this topic but hopefully I gave enough major details to get some sort of advice. Thanks!

I have no clue really. I always have hard time determining if someone is a friend, much less a best friend, much less something more. I guess I don't want to presume too much so I fall back to the less presumptuous option (in my mind).

Whatever it is you 2 have it sounds pretty awesome! :)

Thats awesome to read you two are so close to eachother and I hope your friendship will last a lifetime! I think that you are the only one who can tell if this is a true friendship or not because you know the guy the best.I hope you find the answers you are looking for

• 2 weeks later...

The relationship you two have sounds absolutely beautiful. I'm not going to lie, when I was reading it, I was actually wondering if the same thing applies to me. And truly, I now have the exact same question you have.

I really want to say that there is something more there but that's me being a hopeless romantic. Truly, you know him best and this type of friendship you guys have will last forever. So whether there is something more or not, I feel like no matter what, you guys will still keep this amazing friendship.

That's typically how I feel about crushes, rather than friends... but it could just be a "squish" as well (super close friend you have a "platonic crush" on in this instance). It's up to you to decide.

Archived