(TW for Genderfluid/Non-binary) What do you think of this video?

WhenSummersGone

WhenSummersGone

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in Hot Box. It felt more gender related. Here's the video:

The problems I have with this is I think there's more to gender than just parts and how you dress/act. Also the two common genders were created a long time ago and I haven't seen anything that says gender must be these two, or that gender is only binary.

Anyways, what do you think of this video?

Let's go through this (AGAIN)

(Note: I can't take anyone serious that uses the word triggered that way, it makes me so angry, but that's not a topic for the gender forum)

First off, while the feminine=she pronouns might be true to the person in the example, it's not necessarily true for other people. Lots of people use pronouns that don't typically "fit" their gender, as in he=masc they=neutral she=fem. And using these bracelets doesn't necessarily mean your gender changes "that often / on the daily", people whose gender changes every few weeks or so use them too. And it's not even about gender that much than it is about pronouns, as your preferences for pronouns might change independently from your gender. It's just a useful tool so you don't have to have the pronoun talk on the regular.

Masculine and feminine as words can be used to describe style and gender presentation, of course. But from my experience in the nonbinary community they are often used when you don't feel like 100% male or female. They are descriptors. For a lack of better terms people resort to these existant ones.

male <------masculine--------neutral--------feminine------>female

(a simplified concept that's obviously not true for everyone as people use words and perceive gender differently)

Edit: I've also seen "feminine" and "masculine" being used as umbrella terms to be more inclusive of nonbinary people, as in "feminine people/genders", meaning cis/trans women and feminine leaning nb people (demigirls for example).

Also, we are aware that being masculine doesn't mean you can't be a woman. You don't have to tell that to TRANS people. There are tons of trans people that prove that, we don't need cis people to explain this to us. That one picture with the 4 different styled people is a simplified explanation of genderfluidity, using clothes and styling to explain the shifts. For some people this is exactly how it works, but the genderfluid community is pretty diverse. Which leads me to my next point:

Not every genderfluid person switches between binary genders and/or agender. Which makes most of this video obsolete. And here's why the rest of this video is obsolete: There are more than two sexes. Shocking fact! Intersex people exist.

And now the pronoun issue. The person behind this video made a mistake in first negating the meaning of pronouns and then saying, it's different for the "real" trans people and that misgendering cis people is frustrating as well. Because they basically contradict themself. It makes no sense. (also A+ for policing who counts as really trans)

And as I like to remind people all the time: what words mean is dictated by how we use them. Dictionaries define words by the meaning WE assign them. Dictionaries cannot and should not police our identities. But you know, if that's how your world works you should go see for yourself that dictionaries actually do consider genderfluid to be a real thing:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gender%E2%80%93fluid

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/gender-fluid-among-recent-additions-oxford-english-dictionary-n649571

(this has been a rant)

Luftschlosseule

If you want to warn that triggering topics are involved, it would be cool to mention which kind of trigger.

Also, you should only put that in there if you want to keep people safe instead of saying it may be TMI.

I stopped watching the video after a minute and 16 seconds. This person seems to have seen something, done superficial research, and was sure to know everything there is about that topic. You can do that if you're searching for tomorrows weather, but mostly, you're just plain wrong when you do this.

Either you have knowledge from own experience or from research, or you should think about not educating people, because it will only make everything worse.

well... I'm on mobile so probably won't type up all my thoughts so

I don't really "understand" genderfluid, really, or a lot of nb genders, but this youtuber still seemed fairly uninformed.

Okay, yes, masculine and feminine aren't genders. I just think the way NB people use them as umbrella terms was sort of... poor choice of language? They generally don't mean "anyone who is feminine is a woman (or woman...-ish?)"

And "ask any trans person" (also, who was that other trans person she showed when saying real trans people? I know one is Milo, and I've seen lots of trans people who don't really like him but I didn't know the other person) stuff was iffy. Yeah, I'm not a man because I'm masculine or whatever, but it's not like medical transitioning is "making" me a man? Not that I'm on hormones, but when I am, that's not what suddenly makes me male, which is kind of what she seemed to be implying.

And the pronouns stuff, generally, was complete crap. Seriously felt like she was blaming people for being misgendered, or that people confront complete strangers in such an aggressive way if they use the wrong pronouns. Whenever I'm called "she" by a stranger, I get it. I'm not going to get angry at them because it's not their fault, and vast majority of trans people will do the same, although it will hurt. If it's someone I know, someone I'm out to, I may go "oh, he". If someone's doing it intentionally (unless they're around someone you're closeted to) then yeah, they're an asshole, and I think trans people have every right to tell them and we shouldn't just sit and politely take it. (I understand with other pronouns, that using them is incredibly difficult, but at the very least "they" isn't that hard of an alternative, as people are typically used to it)

And "only two sexes" true for over 99% of the population but...

Really, I get that understanding genderfluid is difficult, but it felt like she was just throwing a bunch of straw men arguments and crap.

WhenSummersGone

Triggered in terms of gender identity and I did put genderfluid and non-binary in the title. Also not sure what again means.

And "ask any trans person" (also, who was that other trans person she showed when saying real trans people? I know one is Milo, and I've seen lots of trans people who don't really like him but I didn't know the other person) stuff was iffy.

That's Riley Jay Dennis, she's a nonbinary trans woman! You should check her out, she's great https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVF8SAGEQnBA-yKM4iQNqfw

She and Milo made collabs about asexuality and trans positivity once x x

I didn't really get if Riley counted as "really trans" and Milo didn't or if they are both supposed to be fake?

Yeah, I had to unfollow Milo on all social media, all the hate got to me. But from time to time I check out his videos.

Triggered in terms of gender identity and I did put genderfluid and non-binary. Also not sure what again means.

My rant was not directed at you but at the video and the videomaker. "Again" because we've been over this so many times, the sex vs gender, only two sexes, agender is unreal thing. Most people that agree with videos like this cannot be argued with so I'm just really frustrated.

Just saying "TW" shows you mean well but it doesn't really help anyone. It's like people on tumblr tagging "trigger", what is that supposed to tell me? Will there be blood, violence, transphobia, racism, victim blaming? As for this video I would've put a short description of what the video's about. Like, talk about gender binary and trans trenders or stating that nonbinary genders aren't real.

WhenSummersGone

Triggered in terms of gender identity and I did put genderfluid and non-binary. Also not sure what again means.

My rant was not directed at you but at the video and the videomaker. "Again" because we've been over this so many times, the sex vs gender, only two sexes, agender is unreal thing. Most people that agree with videos like this cannot be argued with so I'm just really frustrated.

Just saying "TW" shows you mean well but it doesn't really help anyone. It's like people on tumblr tagging "trigger", what is that supposed to tell me? Will there be blood, violence, transphobia, racism, victim blaming? As for this video I would've put a short description of what the video's about. Like, talk about gender binary and trans trenders or stating that nonbinary genders aren't real.

Oh, ok. Ya I agree with the whole sex vs gender thing, and I guess I don't post here much to know exactly how that is. I fixed the title and I saw the video as an attack on non-binary people so added TW, at least I was upset a little by it.

I had to turn off sound, because I have company ;)

Disagree:

- I think that the bracelets are cool :)

- I'm genderqueer myself, yes, the wierd rebel, 5th wave feminist, fashion-obsessed, bi, leftist, mocking the concept of gender. So - f off from my kind.

- Google is not a source

- Drawings and representations actually matter to people, and I see nothing wrong with the disabled toilet signs, and understand how it makes the day nicer for the disabled, and also easier to find a toilet they can actually use, and you know, toilets are pretty essential to ... functioning. But don't listen to me, I'm just an insane leftist :P

- Yes, the two sexes do differ on a statistical level, surprise: just like any two given groups. Even class 3A differs from class 3B, even though the assignment is totally random. And there exist stereotypes about those two groups, e.g. 3A is noisy and make pranks, and 3B are well-rounded and are the favourites of the literature teacher. And there are people from 3A who get on/ fit in better with those from 3B and would rather be there, and vice versa. And now what, huh?

- Strawman. Taking the extreme is using it as a representation of the whole group.

- If someone wants to communicate their gender identity via clothing or bracelets... what's wrong with it? What's the problem?

- Gender reassignment... okey, how does this relate? More than vaguely? It's different category of things. Similar, but different. What is the point with "gender is binary" exactly? "Male and female God created them"? Now we're going right-winged after saying that anyone can be anything?

- So what's wrong with gender neutral wording and pronouns?

- Hammer logic, a bit too down-to-earth. "Abstract thinking", that's what comes to my mind.

- Why can't we change what pronouns mean? Maybe their first meaning starts to be outated? Maybe people prefer them to describe who and not what they are? Language expresses the society that uses it, and evolves with it.

Agree:

+ I also dislike people who whine and use the oppression narrative

+ Yes, your sex says about you close to nothing. It becomes clear just after you take a statistics course or take some interest in science. Anything can happen.

+ Yes, pronouns usually refer to someone's perceived sex.

+ Yes, sex is what you are, not who you are.

+ Yes, some people in the genderqueer community are ... quite policing... but every category of people has those.

Unnecessarily hostile. And, well, hammer logic.

butterflydreams

Eh, I agreed with some of it. The part about masculine/feminine not being genders is an important one, but I kind of doubt most trans people are making that mistake. Certainly based on what non-binary people here have told me, they are not conflating expression/style with their internal sense of gender. But I understand how someone looking at it from the outside could make that mistake. I did.

And some of the pronouns stuff was reasonable. Obviously I'd prefer you call me "she/her" and while I'll get frustrated if you consistently don't, it's mostly just awkward for everyone. I've noticed this more and more. People calling me "she" is just far less awkward, so that's what they do. But maybe it's just because I personally don't put too much of my identity tied in pronouns. I ask that you be respectful, but really not in any way that's different from cis people. If you keep calling a cis woman "he", she's gonna get pissed off eventually, because you're being an asshole.

Mostly I just saw a lot of (understandable) misunderstandings in the video. I think these are perfectly natural conclusions someone looking at all this from the outside would arrive at. Hopefully they choose to engage and listen, rather than just keep asserting their opinion. I engaged with people and listened, and my understanding became more nuanced.

The problems I have with this is I think there's more to gender than just parts and how you dress/act. Also the two common genders were created a long time ago and I haven't seen anything that says gender must be these two, or that gender is only binary.

Anyways, what do you think of this video?

I think that she made some very valid points about perceptions and the use of words, and I side with her about the use of "gender" to identify whether we were female or male at birth. As for "man" and "woman" I can see using those to identify how we present ourselves to society. She is correct on there being mental and physical traits which pertain to the average members of each gender group. I also believe however that people are free to identify themselves as whatever gender they choose.

I think that she is correct also in pointing out that "feminine" and "masculine" are words that describe traits, mannerisms, and the way that people behave. As for the pronouns I really don't see what the big deal is and if someone wanted to be referred to as one or the other that it their choice and I would do my best to respect the choice. I don't really see though how a pronoun could come into play when you are actually conversing with that person. To be honest I don't really know what a lot of the ones in that list she showed even mean.

I really don't get too hung up on labels anyways because we all are unique in some way or another and a generalized label might not transmit that uniqueness to someone who is reading or hearing it. Of course a lot of people are wound up pretty tight nowadays so it always pays to be careful how you address someone.

when she was talking about how "feeling masculine" and "feeling feminine" is not the same thing as "being male in gender" and "being female in gender" I was mostly on page with what she was saying. most women and men I've met have stories they like to share, with a cute prideful smile on their face, about ways in which they are feminine even as a guy, or masculine even as a girl. most humans I've met like a mix of masculine and feminine things, act masculine sometimes and feminine others, and embrace or reject various things, activities, or traits that are masculinity and femininity alike.

But she kept mentioning how "masculine" and "feminine" aren't genders, and that's actually not true. they are precisely gendered. maybe she is only an English speaker, but many other languages have masculine and feminine aspects in their grammar, and they are exactly genders. It's no different when looking at the gender of a trait. It's just that, humans generally share both masculine and feminine characteristics, and even there's dudes who are incredibly feminine but are still male and chicks incredibly masculine but still female. It's just that being male or female isn't determined by our traits or personality. I don't know how to explain it very well though.... but our gender identity is not dependent on our gendered traits and interests.

It's weird because, it's very often that a transperson talks about how their gendered interests and traits are telling signs of being trans. but it isn't actually the trait or activity itself that is where the information comes from. it is how we respond to it, how we feel, how our "soul" so to speak accepts or rejects those things... I wish I knew how to explain it better...

when she started talking about neutrality. I was SMH and facepalm the entire time. She doesn't understand that at all, I really have no response to it.

when she started talking about the pronoun dialogue, I was agreeing with her again. well... not entirely. my thoughts are below.

[TW]

(sorry if the following upsets anyone, but I can't hide what I believe for fear of hurting someone, then no one will grow and learn.) But it is more mixed agreement/disagreement.... I don't think she really understands why being incorrectly pronoun-ed is hurtful, on the other hand. but the things she was saying about how, being correctly pronoun'ed isn't a sign of respect, trust, or a form of validation, yeah that's 100% correct. I mean, I feel validated when someone calls me she. but, I am not looking for that validation, I do not expect it from others, if I need other people in order for me to feel "correct" in my gendering, then either I am immature or I am not really gendered as I think.

I like the movement to use "they" more commonly for gender neutrality, and hope that people cease wishing to use things like "xe" and "kai" and whatnot. if I could have my way, I'd rather people call me by my name or nicknames whenever refering to me then any pronoun, because it would make me feel more trusted and welcome when people use my name, and this is true of any human - focusing on proper pronoun usage to the point that we are adding new words to languages? that seems unhealthily obsessive.

It's weird because, it's very often that a transperson talks about how their gendered interests and traits are telling signs of being trans. but it isn't actually the trait or activity itself that is where the information comes from. it is how we respond to it, how we feel, how our "soul" so to speak accepts or rejects those things... I wish I knew how to explain it better...

I agree. I also think generally speaking it's a way of validating your own experience and making sense of it. Similar to "I always knew I was gay" and looking for the smallest hints in your childhood. Like, I can look back on my childhood and start analysing everything and be like, that was me being nonbinary and queer all along!* In my best friend living situation I am more of the stereotypical guy in some ways. On it's own that doesn't really mean anything. But it kind of made me feel good on one of my demiboy days that I was the one repairing the water tap. I mean, we live in a binary world with binary stereotypes and gender roles. So of course those can validate our experiences. Being nonbinary doesn't rid me of this influence.

*not to say that it cannot be the most obvious thing early on for others

@ the spoiler:

I don't "expect" people to automatically know and use my pronouns. I'm not angry at anyone calling me she (in my mothertongue I haven't even changed my pronouns). But when I express my wish for they pronouns it becomes a matter of respect and validation if they use them or not, you know? And it doesn't make a difference what your pronouns are exactly.

But yes, I am all for the they movement, I would love to see those pronouns as the default option in the future.

I love this ^_^

WhenSummersGone

Ya, in terms of the feminine/masculine talk and my own experiences, and why I had a problem with this video, is that someone could act/dress feminine but that doesn't mean they feel like a woman and same thing with doing things that are masculine.

So I don't think feminine and masculine are the same thing as mentally identifying as something (woman, man, other), but she never talked about that. Gender expression is not the same as gender. Also society/what we were born as doesn't determine gender. I just disagree imo.

Yes, the two sexes do differ on a statistical level, surprise: just like any two given groups. Even class 3A differs from class 3B, even though the assignment is totally random.

The reason why class 3A and 3B differ is the low size of the groups (most traits won't be randomly distributed in such small groups no matter how you select the members). The higher the sample size the better statistics work as a measure for real differences between two groups. If you randomly select 10000 people and call them group A and another 10000 people and call them group B the statistically observed differences between those groups will diminish. But if you randomly select 10000 people with XX chromosome configuration and another 10000 with XY you will find a lot of very consistent statistical differences between those two groups e.g. in the interest for wearing colourful bracelets. ;)

Yes, there is also a strong influence of social norms and perceptions at work here but the reason they evolved in the way they did are the physical and psychological differences between the sexes that are based on biology.

So those differences are real and work outside of narrow contexts such as "Class A" and "Class B" although society does change their strength and the way they are represented (and biology isn't completely static as well, that's called evolution but it operates on rather large time scales).

A lot of what she's saying sounds reasonable. However, I think it's intentionally inflammatory when people make sweeping statements about how people should act, react, or think of themselves based on a few conveniently selected "facts."

People's feelings, interactions with their communities, and self image are not her business if they're not harming anyone. She's masking her aggression with a confident attitude and a sprinkling of facts.

Controversy gets clicks.

Also, on a positive note, she probably has started a lot of nice discussions with her video.

I had to turn off sound, because I have company ;)

Disagree:

- I think that the bracelets are cool :)

- I'm genderqueer myself, yes, the wierd rebel, 5th wave feminist, fashion-obsessed, bi, leftist, mocking the concept of gender. So - f off from my kind.

- Google is not a source

- Drawings and representations actually matter to people, and I see nothing wrong with the disabled toilet signs, and understand how it makes the day nicer for the disabled, and also easier to find a toilet they can actually use, and you know, toilets are pretty essential to ... functioning. But don't listen to me, I'm just an insane leftist :P

- Yes, the two sexes do differ on a statistical level, surprise: just like any two given groups. Even class 3A differs from class 3B, even though the assignment is totally random. And there exist stereotypes about those two groups, e.g. 3A is noisy and make pranks, and 3B are well-rounded and are the favourites of the literature teacher. And there are people from 3A who get on/ fit in better with those from 3B and would rather be there, and vice versa. And now what, huh?

- Strawman. Taking the extreme is using it as a representation of the whole group.

- If someone wants to communicate their gender identity via clothing or bracelets... what's wrong with it? What's the problem?

- Gender reassignment... okey, how does this relate? More than vaguely? It's different category of things. Similar, but different. What is the point with "gender is binary" exactly? "Male and female God created them"? Now we're going right-winged after saying that anyone can be anything?

- So what's wrong with gender neutral wording and pronouns?

- Hammer logic, a bit too down-to-earth. "Abstract thinking", that's what comes to my mind.

- Why can't we change what pronouns mean? Maybe their first meaning starts to be outated? Maybe people prefer them to describe who and not what they are? Language expresses the society that uses it, and evolves with it.

Agree:

+ I also dislike people who whine and use the oppression narrative

+ Yes, your sex says about you close to nothing. It becomes clear just after you take a statistics course or take some interest in science. Anything can happen.

+ Yes, pronouns usually refer to someone's perceived sex.

+ Yes, sex is what you are, not who you are.

+ Yes, some people in the genderqueer community are ... quite policing... but every category of people has those.

Unnecessarily hostile. And, well, hammer logic.

That chick shouldn't come to NY xD You can end up paying a hefty fine for misgendering people here now :P I am also genderqueer and I don't think there's anything wrong with using gender neutral speech. Also sex is whats underneath your clothing while gender is what's in your head. Or at least that's the way I also see it.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, this movie had more of an impact on me than the other. Here's a running commentary of what went on in my head:

*sad, deflated sigh*

They mix in good points with misinformation. I find well-meaning but wrong videos like this to be so disheartening....

*enter the self doubt*

Maybe I am hurting the trans movement, maybe I am wrong about myself, maybe I'm making it up and the pain that I feel sometimes but not others about my body is completely made up, maybe I'm wrong and a fraud....

*more deflation*

So. If I'm not genderfluid because that doesn't really exist, then what am I? Because there are times when "woman" feels so wrong, and times when "man" feels so obviously wrong, and times when I just don't care about either. If I'm only allowed to be trans or cis, does that mean I'm trans sometimes and cis others? But they don't believe that's possible either. I don't fit their system.

*deflated giving up*

I'm genderfluid, because that just makes the most sense to me. And this is why I'm half closeted about my gender in real life, but so open about asexuality; I have strength and self-confidence, but not infinite amounts of both. One battle at a time.

Sigh. Arielle Scarcella, of course this didn't end well. She is so problematic in so many ways. Especially when it comes to trans issues, and not even only nonbinary, binary too. Oh, and she can be pretty biphobic , though it has gotten better.

I can't believe Ashley Mardell collabed with her. I hope she won't in the future. I can't imagine she will, as she now identifies as nonbinary and Arielle is obviously against it.

Yeah I knew about her gender expression theory. It's so weird that she's still so entitled even though she knows a couple of nb people. But apparently she doesn't bother to get educated. And she loves to tell people what to do and how to identify, what is right and what's wrong and ridiculous. That's her thing.

I followed her back in 2011/12 I think. And she seems to get more entitled every year, ugh.

Not identifying as a "man" (with all the associated negative stereotypes) and feeling bad about that doesn't mean someone magically turns from male to female or into some other "gender". The confusion does arise from the term "gender" itself which in its daily usage does NOT differentiate between the personal, social, cultural and biological components but tries to mix all that up to create an identity or image of a person with little practical relevance.

There is a very strong bias in the (US influenced) asexual (online) community in the direction of not wanting to be male.

Or do you really believe that only 9% of asexuals are male, 40% are "transsomething or neither sex" and 51% are female?

(see figures on http://www.asexualawarenessweek.com/ )

Obviously there is a massively strong bias here on not wanting to be associated with being male or having male traits (but also to some extent with not wanting to be female or having female traits as there are more than 51% females in the asexual community). If you look deeper into the analysis you will also find that most of the people identifying as transsomething or nonbinary are very young. So I would attribute a lot of that on both development and cultural or social (group and media) effects that have just lost their connection to reality.

^Excuse me? Nonbinary people have lost connection with reality? Gender is meaningless? What the heck?!

That mess aside, have you considered that due to societal expectations of men and sexuality that they are less likely to self identify as asexual? Or is saying really transphobic stuff just easier than thinking about it for more than 30 seconds?!

The terms "male" and "female" mainly refer to "sex" not (only) to "gender". The term "nonbinary" is nowhere in the same reference frame as female and male. Are most of the 40% "nonbinaries" trans people? Are they intersexuals? Are they the kind of people the first video in this thread refers to? Nobody really knows that because all that gets mixed up in the term "gender" and the concept of "binary" vs. "nonbinary". Future Aven-surveys should address that problem and differentiate properly! The resulting bias btw. is quite similar to the bias that can be caused by the classic Kinsey scale. Out of 7 categories 5 could be read as "somewhat bisexual" but most people who would select the option "I'm not 100% hetero (or homo) at 100% of the time" just aren't bisexual.

have you considered that due to societal expectations of men and sexuality that they are less likely to self identify as asexual?

That's certainly true but there are more females active in asexual communities (roughly 2/3 at least in German Aven) even if you don't consider sexual orientations.Females (on average of course) also tend to have a weaker sex-drive than men and therefore (and for other reasons e.g. such as problems with men wanting too much sex in sexual relationships) will be more inclined to identify as asexual (although maybe they are not).By the way I'm sure that there are more trans people who will identify as asexual than in the average population but that's something quite unrelated to the huge amount of 40% "nonbinaries".

Why do you insist on putting "nonbinary" in quotes as if you're refusing to acknowledge that they're real? And it's not "intersexuals". It's intersex people. Please learn the vocabulary before criticizing others for doing the same thing.

Because I refer to it mainly as a term which is neither well defined enough nor common enough so that everybody who uses it can be expected to mean the same thing (I did the same with male and female by the way to show I refer to the terms).

Please learn the vocabulary before criticizing others for doing the same thing.

Maybe you want to switch from a personal level to content.

Because I refer to it mainly as a term which is neither well defined enough nor common enough so that everybody who uses it can be expected to mean the same thing.

Please learn the vocabulary before criticizing others for doing the same thing.

Maybe you want to switch from a personal level to content.
It means neither 100% male nor female. And I don't understand what you're saying in the second part at all.

So you don't differentiate between "sex" and "gender"?

Or do you expect every one who says e.g. "I am a female" to refer only to "gender" completely ignoring "sex"?

What I want to say is that I think that most of the 40% nonbinaries could easily identify (and at any rate would be identified by other people) as being fully male or female (and not transsexual either) if the social component wouldn't be their primary reason for choosing that category. Thus nonbinary is a category that just can't be compared to the categories "male" and female" which are strongly associated with "sex" while the term "nonbinary" leaves this reference frame and is mainly related to "gender".

I don't think it matters. Why not let people identify in a way they are comfortable with?

And transsexual is a very outdated term.

Archived