Children. Yay or nay?

AJ94

Hell naw !!! I'm a greedy bastard and I want to spend my money for my own well being and not an ungratefull brat.

Prufrock, but like, worse

I dunno, maybe? They taste pretty good if you fry them right.

I kind of want to adopt one day. Not only am I sex adverse but I think the world is over-populated.

Nay times 1,000. After a day at work and during the weekends I'd much rather relax than deal with a dependent human.

Very much Nay.

Kids can be cute in small doses... but there's a sizeable list of reasons why I would absolutely not want to be a parent, of which "the only affordable production method is super gross" is only one, albeit probably the most visceral. I've said it for decades... the greatest gift I can make my children is to make sure they're never born in the first place.

No kids, ever. I've never found babies appealing.

If I miraculously (?) got pregnant I would most definitely have an abortion. I can't handle childbirth - natural and c-section both terrify me. I couldn't go through with it. Those, and the baby would be unwanted. I can't have that kind of weight on my shoulders. Imagine if the kid grew up and found out I never wanted it? I would feel terrible, but it'd be the truth. So, no kids.

I definitely do not want children. This is gonna sound kinda horrible, but like. I've got a lot of love inside me, alright? But I just. I don't think it's the type of love to ever raise a kid. Nor would I ever be mentally stable enough, but the truth is I just plain don't want any.

I've had plenty of questions about this, too. "Is it because you're a lesbian? Is it because of your neuro disease? Is it because of your mental illness?" No, no and no. I just. Don't. Want. Kids. I hate that as a woman you have to give a solid reason.

Most of the time it's no, in the future my opinion will be more stable but in no way i will have sex to get pregnant. Children would only happen in my life if i had already reached my goals and was able to properly take care of a human being alone, by adoption or those artificial wombs if they really get to happen in some decades (which would be expensive as hell and involve a lot of polemic for sure). They're really just too much work.

PurveyorOfBadPuns

I am a bit of an outlier, but I want lots of children, both biological and adopted. The idea of pregnancy/birth is far more appealing to me than sex. However, I would more than likely choose artificial insemination for biological children.

Siimo van der fietspad

I have never had particularly strong desires for children, and obviously didn't want to have to have sex to create any. But my (ace) partner and I have talked about it, seeing as we seem to be pretty serious about things long-term, and we both agreed that we'd be open to adoption of the circumstances were right. Frankly, I'd be seriously considering what sort of a world our children would be placed into, seeing as economic and climate disasters will start to take effect within our lifetimes.

Nice to see somebody else from my region of the world, I'm in Southampton.

Absolutely never.

Even if I did I would want to do it the old fashioned way.

I never really wanted kids, but when I entered my mid-twenties my hormones took over... utter horror! :blink:

At work all my co-workers where having babies (and bringing them to the office). It made it even worse!

Luckily it blew over. ^_^

So my partner and I will be childfree. (And since we are not having sex, I'm pretty sure it will stay that way! ;) )

I rather spread my thoughts than my genes.

I'd give dating a single mum a try.

Nay. Nay forever. Never understood the appeal of them.don't like them.

I also had quite the abusive upbringing where i was the scapegoat whenever someone got mad- being taught to take your anger out on a kinder gardener does not strike me as something this world needs. Even though i am working really hard to reverse all of that, i am aware that i honestly don't have enough interest in children to summon the patience needed to take care of one....also both sides of my family have horrible genetics. missing ribs, fused spines, cancer, Alzheimer, depression, diabetes, heart disease, a mountain of mental illnesses... the list goes on but my branch of the family tree will not. :wacko: I think it would be best for all parties involved if i passed on that experience.

Instead I will become lord of the cats! (and corvids. A crow named Redrum and a Raven named Nevermore please!)

my subject can eat me when i die. :ph34r:

Growing up, I always thought I'd raise a family. I mean, I was part of one. It just made sense to continue that.

But once I got into a serious relationship, I began to realize that I really don't want kids. I mean, I feel no desire to have any. From a financial standpoint, I don't know how we'd do it. From an emotional standpoint ... I spent a weekend taking care of my 1 year old nephew, and all I could think about was "oh, my god, no!" I have a dog, and there times when I feel he's too dependent on me - how the hell would I take care of a kid???

Sometimes, I wonder if got a stable job and we had a more lucrative income, I might change my mind. But I really don't think so. Kids are so much work. And then there's the complications and horror stories from pregnancies and child birth, ugh. And hubby doesn't want to pass his genetics onto a child anyway.

If I ever were to change my mind, I think we'd just adopt.

I've never wanted kids, even when I was with my first boyfriend (who I think I loved - it was about 17 years ago now, though). He was a muslim from a strict traditional background, so if we'd been allowed to marry when the time came, I would have been pretty much expected to have kids, so it was partly a relief when I found out we couldn't be together long term as I really couldn't see how I could get away with staying childless. Plus, I'm wondering how I'm even going to take care of just myself in the future when I'm living on my own.

I do get curious about what pregnancy feels like sometimes, but truth be told, I'd rather give myself a DIY hysterectomy with plastic cutlery than have a baby.

butterflydreams

:unsure: I read every response here and now I feel bad for saying 'yay'

I mean, it's not really possible for me, but I dunno. It was something I wanted for a pretty long time (in differing capacities).

anodyneinsect

I am a warrior, not a queen. I do not have nor want an ovipositor. No larva for me. Never. The answer is NAY!

:unsure: I read every response here and now I feel bad for saying 'yay'

I mean, it's not really possible for me, but I dunno. It was something I wanted for a pretty long time (in differing capacities).

Hey now no reason to feel bad about your answer! Just be honest with yourself. :) Even if it may be more along the lines of "yay but not sure/ may not happen."

Whatever the answer, no need to feel self conscious about your answer just because its not the popular vote. ^_^

I personally don't want children. I'm uncomfortable around kids, hated being around them even when I was one, and honestly even hated being one. And pregnancy is honestly one of the most terrifying things in the world to me. The more I've learned about it as I've gotten older, the more turned off and scared I got of it. So on the off chance I do change my mind, pregnancy would definitely be out. But I'm not exactly cut out for raising a kid. Nothing against those who want one, though, or even kids in general.

I never had the desire to have kids, I could never connect to them as I saw other people do. Maybe it's selfishness on my part but I've always liked to come and go as I please without worrying about time frames. This has nothing to do with the fact I'm ace, it's just a personal choice.

I never had the desire to have kids, I could never connect to them as I saw other people do. Maybe it's selfishness on my part but I've always liked to come and go as I please without worrying about time frames. This has nothing to do with the fact I'm ace, it's just a personal choice.

I don't want children either. They're messy, loud, energetic, smelly and destructive. I enjoy having a somewhat clean home where things are intact. Money is also a huge issue, along with my patience and mental stability (I deal with anxiety / depression.) Thankfully my family has come to accept my decision and they support me having fur-babies. I'd rather take care of a dog or some cats than another person. :> I just wasn't made to raise kids.

life_carnival

Nay for me. While I used to imagine having a kid but I also wasn't comfortable with the idea of getting pregnant. So maybe if I ever change my mind, I will go through adoption or helping children that need my help rather than bring one to the world myself.

synthesizeher

Even when I was a kid the idea of having a family was a big no-no for me!

In the highly unlikely event I ever changed my mind I'd be looking into adoption or fostering for much the same reasons as OP, though. :)

I may be a little too young to have a valid opinion, but considering nearly all my teen friends are pregnant and married, I feel that I have somewhat of a right to say nay to this one. It's not that I don't like children, I just can't see myself being the type to put a child - even my own child - before myself. As a mother, that's supposed to be a key trait. A trait I lack in, apparently. Whether this is selfishness or a sense of self-preservation I can't yet tell, but i know that until some miraculous change in me happens, I'm not going to raise a kid that I most likely won't raise well. For their safety, not mine.

It might also be worth noting that I didn't exactly have the best of parents either, so maybe I am being biased in this response.

As far as reproduction, it'd probably be my partner having the kids. Not me. This is because childbirth would be a lot more of a struggle because of my body type. If I had a partner who could not bear children, but wanted them anyway, then I might bear the child for them. I would probably recommend adoption first though, since it's not only an easier route but it would mean being able to help out a kid who's childhood might have been worse than mine. Helping raise a kid who's gone through trauma? That's not just being a mother - that's being a hero. A life saver. I'd definitely want to be one of those.

I don't want biological children, because sex and being pregnant... (I have to take care of my tummy, no thanks). But I wolúld be okay with adoption, after all I love children :D

Yay?

Growing up me and my sister spent a lot of time talking about it because neither of us wanted to have kids the traditional way. My sister is straight but extremely repulsed by the idea of pregnancy and wants to adopt. I've always wanted to have kids in general but I never wanted a partner in order to do it (this was before I knew I was ace).

I think in a perfect world I would want to have kids through both a donor/IVF (just so that I could have that experience) and through adoption. However, there are several road blocks that might stop me from ever having kids:

1. Some ethical issues surrounding the fertility 'market'.

2. It might be hard to become financially stable enough to afford to go through a clinic or adoption or even have a kid at all.

3. Family history of postpartum depression and low body weight (my mother had both of these issues). It might just be to dangerous mentally and physically to try to have a kid biologically.

Archived