Two spirit and genderfluid the same thing?

CentaurianPrincess

CentaurianPrincess

Gender fluid is a gender identity which refers to a gender which varies over time. A gender fluid person may at any time identify as male, female, neutrois, or any other non-binary identity, or some combination of identities. Their gender can also vary at random or vary in response to different circumstances.

"Two-spirited" or "two-spirit" usually indicates a Native person who feels their body simultaneously manifests both a masculine and a feminine spirit, or a different balance of masculine and feminine characteristics than usually seen in masculine men and feminine women.

The only reason I heard of two spirited is because I saw it as an option on a dating site. If you identify with these how do you feel about the phrase of each one? Please discuss.

I feel gender fluid because I dress like a male sometimes and like a woman sometimes. I'm happy about the idea of clothing becoming "genderless". I guess then it wouldn't be feminine for a male bodied person to wear a dress or a female bodied person to wear men's clothing. I heard clothing and gender expression can also have nothing to do with clothing choices.

Luftschlosseule

I read that two-spirit is a kind of umbrella term for non-binary used in a native american community and the exact use of this term may differ from tribe to tribe.

I identify as agenderfluid, because some days I am agender, some days I am a women. But on agender days I may chose to wear a skirt and make-up, or I may have feminine days and feel no want for jewellery. For me, it's a feeling, or more a deeper sense of being underlying everything.

For some people, identity and expression may differ, yes. But clothing usually is a clothing choice, expect when you're required to wear an uniform or special clothing for work.

As Chilla said, it's considered to be rude if you identify as two-spirit while not being a Native American. I can think of only one person on AVEN who identifies as two-spirit. . . .

I can't speak on behalf of any two spirit person. But definition-wise the terms aren't interchangeable, even disregarding the cultural factor (is cultural the right word?). Genderfluid doesn't necessarily mean masculine and feminine (I don't feel like either), and it also doesn't mean the individual identifies as both masculine and feminine at the same time or to varying degress (though it can), as it's also possible that the gender changes clearly from only one to only another one.

Archived