Star Trek *POLL*

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

Star Trek (see below if you aren't familiar with the abbreviations)   

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the series have you seen?

• TOS
    • TNG
    • DS-9
    • Voy
    • Ent
    • The new movies
    • I haven't seen any
  2. 2. Which is your favourite?

• TNG
    • DS-9
    • Voy
    • Ent
    • TOS
    • The new movies
    • I haven't seen any
  3. 3. If you have seen the old series and the new movies, do you accept the new movies as part of the Star Trek universe?

• I have only seen the new movies
    • I have only seen an old season, or seasons
    • I haven't seen either
    • Actually, I prefer the new movies
    • I accept them whole-heartedly!
    • I guess we are stuck with them...
    • NO! They do not belong! I refuse to acknowledge their existence!
  4. 4. How do you feel about Star Trek in general?

• SQUEEEE!!! I love it! And everything it stands for! It is one of the best shows ever!
    • It's great! I really like it!
    • I like it
    • It's okay
    • Meh
    • Not really my thing
    • I don't like it
    • It's terrible
    • I haven't seen it

This poll is closed to new votes

TOS= Star Trek The Original Series
TNG = Star Trek The Next Generation
DS-9 = Deep Space Nine
Voy= Star Trek Voyager
Ent = Star Trek Enterprise

The new movies = Star Trek, Star Trek into Darkness, and Star Trek Beyond

It count's as having seen it if you have seen enough episodes o get the gist and see if you like it

I got confused between the title and the actual poll...

Darn, thanks Graceful, I think I have fixed it now. I was watching a movie at the same time I was writing, and wasn't paying attention

:redface: TBH I haven't watched so much of it after the original series (when I was a kid), because there's no way to watch Star Trek on TV in my area other than on cable TV and I can't afford cable TV... So, yes, I like Star Trek a lot but I haven't watched half of it :unsure:

I like Star Trek. The new movies are ok, but the NG movies and show are still superior.

Prufrock, but like, worse

Meh.

For a number of years it was the only science fiction I was exposed to so I hold a bit of a (probably undue) grudge against it for constraining my idea of what SF is allowed to be. I encountered DS9 and Doctor Who at about the same point in my life and I haven't been on speaking terms with Kirk since.

They destroyed Vulcan... :unsure:

cavalier080854

Nobody likes Enterprise? I loved it, but I could only pick one, it had to be the original. Enterprise would have been next.

Haven't seen DS-9, Voyager or Enterprise, but they're on my to-watch list definitely. But I think TNG will always be my favourite as that's what got me into Star Trek to start with.

I like the new movies, they're fairly entertaining. Although there are definite problems with them, personally the entertainment factor outweighs that.

Seen them all, except DS9 and the latest movie
Favourite is Voyager, very closely followed by TNG

NOOOO, The new movies are highly illogical, plus Spock was my aro-ace-aspie idol :mad: I haven't watched all of TOS yet, but he certainly seemed to be that way. You can't start fresh by blowing up half the universe. There was no need to start fresh anyway, and why oh why is Star Trek an action series now. Humph.....

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE

I haven't watched much of the original series since it's pretty slow for my tastes and doesn't hold my attention, but I've seen all the others. I prefer the new movies to the original series and definitely to the old movies, but I prefer TNG and Voy over the new movies all the same. I still accept them though since they're great. : )

I've seen them all except for the latest movie.

TNG closely followed by DS9.

I accept them even though I have some issues with them.

SQUEEEEE

seen tos, some tng. tos all the way!

and i definitely accept the new movies. :) loved the most recent one!

Haven't seen DS-9, Voyager or Enterprise, but they're on my to-watch list definitely. But I think TNG will always be my favourite as that's what got me into Star Trek to start with.

I like the new movies, they're fairly entertaining. Although there are definite problems with them, personally the entertainment factor outweighs that.

I love Voyager, I find Ds-9 boring, and Enterprise is cool, but gets confusing very quickly.

The new movies I find awesome :D

My gateway into SF was through British science fiction (not Doctor Who funnily enough, but The Tomorrow People [1970s], and later Blake's Seven which really set the tone of my preferred form of SF), so Star Trek actually takes a backseat to, erm, a certain time traveler ... Still, in order of preference:

TNG

TOS

TOS & TNG movies (other than the first movie of the whole set - which originally was supposed to be the pilot of a new TV series)

Voyager

Enterprise

The new movies

DS9

My big problem with the new movies is that, aside from destroying Vulcan (which really pissed me off and still makes me very unhappy), they're trying to recreate something that really doesn't need to be recreated. The chemistry just isn't there. That said, I actually enjoyed the most recent film.

Deep Space 9 came out about the same time as Babylon-5 and just could not compete. The club I belonged to at the time would have arguments over which series was better, but really? B-5 all the way man. I still can't watch DS9. (Also, B-5 is a good deal closer, in some respects, to how I think our interactions with aliens would actually go - nowhere as utopian in vision as old Gene would have liked, I'm sure.)

My favorite TNG movie is First Contact.

Awww.... DS9 really grew on me on rewatches. It's almost at the point where it rivals my love for TNG. (Same for Sisko vs. Picard... you'd never have heard me say this back in the 90s, but Picard only wins that contest very very barely anymore, for me. :))

I have to say, though, when DS9 sucks, it sucks really bad. (*cough* Vic Fontaine *cough*... most annoying Trek character that ever existed. -_- )

FC is the best Trek movie, period. :)

Nobody likes Enterprise? I loved it, but I could only pick one, it had to be the original. Enterprise would have been next.

I rather liked Enterprise too - one of the few prequels I enjoyed. I'm so old, I can remember the first airing of the OS - it was before the days of VCRs so I recorded episodes on a little reel-to-reel with the microphone next to the tv speaker, my budgie was covered up to keep it quiet and mother threatened with violence if she breathed too loudly :lol:

Awww.... DS9 really grew on me on rewatches. It's almost at the point where it rivals my love for TNG. (Same for Sisko vs. Picard... you'd never have heard me say this back in the 90s, but Picard only wins that contest very very barely anymore, for me. :))

I have to say, though, when DS9 sucks, it sucks really bad. (*cough* Vic Fontaine *cough*... most annoying Trek character that ever existed. -_- )

FC is the best Trek movie, period. :)

I really liked Insurrection too but yeah First Contact is the best. Wrath of Khan is my third.

I still can't get into DS9 but I think it's because after Babylon 5 it just couldn't keep my interest for long.

TOS is by far the best, only because I just really fucking live Spock. DS9 and Voyager were pretty good too tho!

My favourite movie by far is ST:IV (The Voyage Home aka the one with whales and swearing) just because it was so light-hearted. In the same vein, my favourite TOS episode was The Trouble with Tribbles. :)))

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the reboot movies. Absolutely refuse. With the exception of Star Trek Beyond, which I haven't watched, but doubt less because it wasn't directed by JJ fucking Abrams. Above all else, I loathe Star Trek Into Darkness. For the way they whitewashed Khan. For the way they militarised Starfleet because one of the script writers believed that 9/11 was an inside job. For the way they just about copied every major plot point in ST:TWOK (arguably the best Star Trek movie ever). For the way they depicted Dr Marcus. For the way the entire movie seemed like a cheap action movie insteas of capturing the spirit and heartbreak of any other Star Trek series (it's hard to cry during nu!Kirk's death when you've seen Spock die the same way, but better. THEY COPIED THE TA'AL TOO OKAY I'M SO PISSED.)

Oh, let's also not forget SPOCK AND UHURA'S ROMANCE. Ew. Like, seriously. Stop trying to "humanise" (in the wrong way) the obviously alien character.

Whoops. I ranted.

Clearly I'm not as Vulcan as I make myself out to be.

Also, basically every Star Trek novel is fanfiction? Yeap. The authors essentially grew up watching Star Trek or was a writer for the show or smth and later decided that they wanted more Star Trek so they wrote a bunch of books and published it. They're not canon tho, which is why Memory Beta exists. Which also means the books are literal fanfiction.

That's probably why the Star Trek fic archive is fucking tiny compared to like, the Harry Potter archive or something. It's because all our fics are real, physical books. Ain't that amazing?

In any case, dif-tor heh smusma \V/,

(Btw did you know that the Vulcan language spoken in the shows was supposed to be like, words with the same lip movements as their english meanings, but pronounced differently? That means if you lip read a person saying "dif tor heh smusma", you'll probably read it as "live long and prosper".)

Above all else, I loathe Star Trek Into Darkness. For the way they whitewashed Khan. For the way they militarised Starfleet because one of the script writers believed that 9/11 was an inside job. For the way they just about copied every major plot point in ST:TWOK (arguably the best Star Trek movie ever). For the way they depicted Dr Marcus. For the way the entire movie seemed like a cheap action movie insteas of capturing the spirit and heartbreak of any other Star Trek series (it's hard to cry during nu!Kirk's death when you've seen Spock die the same way, but better. THEY COPIED THE TA'AL TOO OKAY I'M SO PISSED.)

Oh, let's also not forget SPOCK AND UHURA'S ROMANCE. Ew. Like, seriously. Stop trying to "humanise" (in the wrong way) the obviously alien character.

*starts non-ironic slow clap, hoping others will join in*

TOS is by far the best, only because I just really fucking live Spock. DS9 and Voyager were pretty good too tho!

My favourite movie by far is ST:IV (The Voyage Home aka the one with whales and swearing) just because it was so light-hearted. In the same vein, my favourite TOS episode was The Trouble with Tribbles. :)))

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the reboot movies. Absolutely refuse. With the exception of Star Trek Beyond, which I haven't watched, but doubt less because it wasn't directed by JJ fucking Abrams. Above all else, I loathe Star Trek Into Darkness. For the way they whitewashed Khan. For the way they militarised Starfleet because one of the script writers believed that 9/11 was an inside job. For the way they just about copied every major plot point in ST:TWOK (arguably the best Star Trek movie ever). For the way they depicted Dr Marcus. For the way the entire movie seemed like a cheap action movie insteas of capturing the spirit and heartbreak of any other Star Trek series (it's hard to cry during nu!Kirk's death when you've seen Spock die the same way, but better. THEY COPIED THE TA'AL TOO OKAY I'M SO PISSED.)

Whoops. I ranted.

Clearly I'm not as Vulcan as I make myself out to be.

Also, basically every Star Trek novel is fanfiction? Yeap. The authors essentially grew up watching Star Trek or was a writer for the show or smth and later decided that they wanted more Star Trek so they wrote a bunch of books and published it. They're not canon tho, which is why Memory Beta exists. Which also means the books are literal fanfiction.

That's probably why the Star Trek fic archive is fucking tiny compared to like, the Harry Potter archive or something. It's because all our fics are real, physical books. Ain't that amazing?

In any case, dif-tor heh smusma \V/,

(Btw did you know that the Vulcan language spoken in the shows was supposed to be like, words with the same lip movements as their english meanings, but pronounced differently? That means if you lip read a person saying "dif tor heh smusma", you'll probably read it as "live long and prosper".)

Yay, someone else who has a deep affinity with Vulcans. Clearly there is some sort of neurochemical toxin in this thread interfering with the control of our emotions, It is the logical explanation. I too hate the new movies, you summed it up perfectly. Particularly the fact that Star Trek is not, and never has been, an action series. That is one of the things that sets Star Trek and Star Wars apart, and a reason why the fans of the two are often so divided, Sure, star trek has action, but at it's heart it is about ideology, exploration, and a deeper understanding of the human ( and alien) condition. And as for the Spock and Uhura thing, it is terrible. They have taken two amazing characters, stripped them of what they are, and replaced them with a generic romance. Spock is my aro ace aspie role model. And Uhura meant so much to young girls, particularly young black girls. She was strong, independent, a competent officer, and nobody's token female love interest.

The wonderful thing about Star Trek was it always went boldy where it hadn't gone before, each new series and crew added to the universe, while keeping some of the tried and true character tropes. For example Spock, Data, T'pol, The EMH, and Seven of Nine, were all outsiders who didn't experience emotion in the same way and who struggled with human interactions and cues. But they were still very different characters with different journeys, As you say, there was no need to go back and rewrite TOS, and ruin it. I still haven't seen all of TOS, or the older movies, so at least I have that to look forward to.

The series were also able to interact and co-exist, now all of that has gone out the window, and it has become another big budget space shoot-em-up :angry:

Heh, I didn't know that about Vulcan language :o It is one more detail to love, thank you :)

Peace and long life \V/

I didn't care for Into Darkness that much but I'm ok with Spock and Uhura. If Sarek can fall in love with a human then the half-human Spock certainly can.

I've only seen the original series, which, as a child, I really liked.

• 2 months later...
Perissodactyla

The Star Trek Canon
TV, 703 Episodes Total of 5 Series
MOVIES, 13 total

How many of you have viewed the whole canon at least once?

By the way, it's just been announced that Sonequa Martin-Green has been cast as the lead character, the lieutenant commander, in 'Star Trek: Discovery', the new TV series starting in May 2017.

I've seen a few episodes of TOS, TNG, Voy, and the new movies. My favorite is Voyager(that's also what I've seen the most of)

Perissodactyla

During the last week, I've watched 2 seasons of Star Trek: Enterprise, since I realized I have seen less of those episodes than the other series. My intention is to watch the remaining 2 seasons in the next week or so. It's the most recent TV series, running 2001-2004 following Voyager which ran 1995-2001.

As I'm watching the series with such dedication and focus, I began keeping notes describing a lot of the features of the story arcs: technology, aliens, history, etc. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/ is a great reference and it enriches the study of Star Trek, of course.

I have become more introspective about how much of the canon I've seen so far. I'm not sure since I've watched them sporadically and not sequentially. But now, I think I want to sort of systematically go through everything... at least the ones I haven't seen yet. But I might just watch everything, just to make sure I fully immerse enough in the Star Trek universe, in order to appreciate the story arcs and history with all its complexity and development.

A few years ago I found a 4-dvd anthology which was comprised of all the episodes and movie featuring interactions with the Borg.

It's very interesting to make your way through Star Trek focusing on one theme like that. It's actually quite fascinating, since interactions with the Borg occurred over a very long time... beyond the life-spans of human characters in the series and movies.

Frequently reading through the wikia site on Star Trek made me more aware of other stories based on interactions with other aliens, or various themes that are developed in different ways in the various series. So then I began to take a break from sequential viewing of ST Enterprise to occasionally select an episode from one of the other series. So now I'm just keeping a check list, so I make sure to be mostly methodical about watching everything, but not to rigid about it either.

Perissodactyla

The Star Trek Canon
TV, 703 Episodes Total of 5 Series
MOVIES, 13 total

TV, 703 Episodes Total 

*****Prequels to The Original Series
Enterprise (2001–05), 4 Seasons, 98 Episodes
Discovery (2017–)

*****The Original Series (1966–69), 3 Seasons, 79 Episodes

*****Sequels to The Original Series
The Next Generation (1987–94), 7 Seasons, 178 Episodes
Deep Space Nine (1993–99), 7 Seasons, 176 Episodes
Voyager (1995–2001), 7 Seasons, 172 Episodes

MOVIES, 13 total

*****The Original Series films, 6
The Motion Picture (1979)
The Wrath of Khan (1982)
The Search for Spock (1984)
The Voyage Home (1986)
The Final Frontier (1989)
The Undiscovered Country (1991)

*****The Next Generation films, 4
Generations (1994)
First Contact (1996)
Insurrection (1998)
Nemesis (2002)

*****"Reboot" films, 3
Star Trek (2009)
Into Darkness (2013)
Beyond (2016)

*****Dates of TV series
The Original Series (1966–69)
The Next Generation (1987–94)
Deep Space Nine (1993–99)
Voyager (1995–2001)
Enterprise (2001–05)
Discovery (2017–)

• 3 weeks later...

I think Odo is a romantic asexual. He has sex during the series but doesn't seem to find it very interesting. But he's definitely got romantic feelings for Kira.

Archived