'Sex and the Cthulhu Mythos'

Perissodactyla

Perissodactyla

I just started reading a book about HP Lovecraft:

'Sex and the Cthulhu Mythos'

https://www.amazon.com/Sex-Cthulhu-Mythos-Bobby-Derie/dp/1614980888

I've known for a long time that Lovecraft was asexual in some way, but I never really thought that much about it.

I did have a vague sense that perhaps his asexuality and possible repulsion to sex was somehow related to his stories, themes and descriptions of various weird creatures and situations.

I just wondered if others have thought much about this topic. (?)

"H. P. Lovecraft was one of the most asexual beings in history - at least by his own admission. Whether we accept this view of his own sexual instincts or not, there is no denying that sexuality - normal and aberrant-underlies a number of significant tales in the Lovecraft oeuvre."
"The impregnation of a human woman by Yog-Sothoth in "The Dunwich Horror" and the mating of humans with strange creatures from the sea in "The Shadow over Innsmouth" are only two such examples."
One Winged Angel

Lovecraft being Asexual is a quite common theme I read about, although it must be said that he was married and his wife described as "an adequately excellent lover". That said, Lovecraft did certainly seem to share some of the characteristics of Asexuality, and his marriage was unhappy. I think there is a chance that he could, if alive today, be considered part of the Asexual spectrum.

As for the sexual themes in the books, I have noticed on my own readings that many of Lovecraft's protagonists are solitary, somewhat misanthropic characters who seldom mention sex or relationships. This of course appeals to me, and it must be said that Lovecraft is amongst my favourite authors.

Further thoughts on this are that within esoteric literature, the themes of a mating between human and other beings is commonplace. Nephilim, or the Sons of God (although this may be closer to 'Sun' than 'Son' if researched), is a popular one, and also the idea of human hybrid bloodlines. Much of this may have inspired Lovecraft in some of the stories.

We may never know if Lovecraft was himself Asexual, but it is certainly believable to imagine he was.

This video seems relevant to this:

(Warning, it is a sex ed spoof, so there are chalk drawnings of genetalia. And it is a done in a Lovecraftian way.)

Lovecraft and his wife also spent a large part of their marriage apart from each other. He was on the East coast, she was in Chicago. His life went on just like normal. The only visible sign of affection people saw was them holding hands.

Lovecraft and his wife also spent a large part of their marriage apart from each other. He was on the East coast, she was in Chicago. His life went on just like normal. The only visible sign of affection people saw was them holding hands.

That sounds kinda nice, actually...

Archived