Abrosexual

i used to identify as bisexual but it never really felt right. then one day i was looking up a sexuality that fluctuates between gay/lesbian/bi/ace and i stumbled across abrosexuality. it describes my sexuality perfectly. only downside is trying to find abrosexual merchendise online :(

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 8:04 PM, Aethyetoite said:

only downside is trying to find abrosexual merchendise online :(

There’s some on redbubble.com, just type in “abrosexual” in the search bar. There are shirts and phone cases and stuff, it’s great.

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
AngryAbrosexualPanromantic

Hi! Your story sounds a lot like mine. I'm abrosexual panromantic, and before I stumbled across the term abro, I identified as bi, ace, pan, homo, hetro, poly, quoi, everything under the sun, really. I was having quite a hard time until I found a label because I didn't feel normal, you know? I didn't feel accepted. It made it really hard to come out. Once, I recall, I told my teacher that I was a lesbian, but sometimes I am bi, and before that I was straight. But know I can tell people that I'm abro pan, even though I usually have to explain what those mean, as you probably know. Anyway, my sexuality fluctuates over the space of many months, having one main gender (or bi or ace or demi), while during this period I will turn into the others occasionally. My phases are hetro, homo, bi, ace and demi, but sometimes I prefer andro to hetro and gyne to homo. It's quite complicated and it gets in the way of relationships, but I am who I am, and I wouldn't change it. I don't think. 

• Like 6
  • 4 months later...
CatsClubsNCake
On 9/20/2016 at 2:31 AM, botanywildfowl said:

Hi, my name is Jaimie and I'm an abrosexual. For a long time I thought there was something seriously wrong with me.

Hey, Jaimie! 

There is definitely not anything wrong with you. I am so glad you have finally found a label you can identify with! It’s heartbreaking to see some people saying you’re not abro and that you’re just confused 😭

You are not confused. It’s not a phase. You are valid. It’s not their place to tell you how you experience attraction! 

Remember, labels are more like a status. If the label applies to you for that period of time, it’s valid. If it changes, it’s valid. If it doesn’t, it’s valid. You decide your status! Don’t listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. 

I am not abro, but I know someone who is. I’m so sorry you had to go through that with your mom. Take care, and stay strong! 🖤💚

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...

Please everyone, if you neither ARE abrosexual nor KNOW someone who is abro, you really have no authority to say it doesn’t exist. I personally don’t know the first five hundred digits of pi, but I trust that the people who do are right. I don’t know the formula for the creation of Polomium, but it still exists. Just because you are personally unaware of the specifics of a concept or idea, doesn’t mean it’s fake. To assume so is really a very primitive, illogical way of approaching evolving ideas. 

• Like 7
  • 2 months later...

I’m a little late messaging on this forum, but nice to meet you! I’m also Abrosexual (however, I am heteroromantic) and did a lot of research to come to that conclusion. I’m sorry the first reply you got from your post on your sexuality was someone being unsupportive of it. I hope my support now and others being supportive throughout the forum can make up for that! 

I know how frusrating it can be to hear people say you’re just a bisexual / pansexual in flux. Because for me, there are some Bisexuals / Pansexuals in flux that don’t feel like their Asexual at any point (maybe some dry spells, but dry spells and being Asexual are different), while being Asexual at one point or another is apart of being Abrosexual. How can being a bisexual / pansexual in flux be Abrosexual when one includes being Asexual and the other doesn’t? That’s the most frustrating thought I have as a fellow Abrosexual, but trust me, it gets easier to deal with overtime (not that anyone should have to learn to deal with it.)

I feel like the main probablem people have is confusing the dry spells that Bisexuals / Pansexuals in flux can have, with being Asexual. Making the wrong assumption that Bisexuals / Pansexuals in flux are the same thing as being Abrosexual. Such as Star Bit assuming that the possibility of being an Asexual as an Abrosexual is just a dry spell, 

On 9/19/2016 at 11:49 PM, Star Bit said:

That's just called being a normal bisexual. Sexual people don't desire sex 24/7 and go through dry spells.

Please, if you are not going to be supportive of this topic, don’t say anything at all. This page is meant for people that are looking for support to get just that, not to be put down.

• Like 7
  • 4 months later...
KalubRalph

Hello my name's Kalub and I've came out as so many different sexualitys that my parents have started to call me a what-ever-the-fuck. And not a single one of them felt right until I found out about Abrosexual, and it sounded just like how I was, and still am. But recently I've been getting a lot of flack for it and I just need some people that believe that Abrosexual is real. Please and thank you.

• Like 3
SpicySugar

Hiya! I'm biromantic (in theory, I have yet to swoon another maiden) and abrosexual. It is a thing, and it's really confusing for me at times and at first I felt like crap for feeling so indecisive to who I'm attracted to sexually. Sometimes I'll be completely straight, no coochie for me. It makes me question whether I was really queer in the first place. At other times, I'll be all girls girls girls and no guys, ew gross guys. Or I can go both, or just get overwhelmingly disgusted with sex and absolutely nothing can turn me on (that last fluctuation isn't as common though). I know that's kind of a weird and childish way to put it, but it really is how I feel and abrosexuality is absolutely real. 

Edited by SpicySugar
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
imaginary_oranges

Hi! I'm asexual and abroromantic. Sometimes I'm only attracted to guys, then the next day I like girls and I'm like "did I really like guys?" then I'm cool with anything, then suddenly I find the idea of a romantic relationship horrible. I found out what abro was pretty recently and I was like "yep that's me"

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Hi Jamie! I’ve been doing research on sexualities and gender identities for awhile because I don’t really know what I am but I found the word abrosexual a few days ago and I think that I am abroromantic. As far as I can tell, I am and always have been asexual but over the past few years I have experienced multiple romantic orientations (panromantic, biromantic, homoromantic, aromantic, etc.). I never really understood it and thought that maybe I was just confused but then I found this term and I think that it is pretty accurate to how I identify. It’s really interesting because sometimes my orientation just changes and other times there is some sort of trigger that I can’t really explain. I’m not exactly sure how most abrosexuals/abroromantics go about having relationships and I have never been in an official relationship for very long so I can’t say how I would function in a relationship. I’m just wondering if someone who was abro to be in one, if they would still stay in the relationship even when their sexuality changes. I’m assuming that if it were me, that I would not end a relationship for that reason but that’s just me. I don’t know, what are your thoughts on that?

• Like 1
On 9/20/2016 at 6:31 PM, botanywildfowl said:

Hi, my name is Jaimie and I'm an abrosexual. I'm not sure if I belong in the AVEN forums, but I couldn't find a forum dedicated towards abrosexuality. If you don't know, abrosexuality is when your sexuality is constantly changing or is fluid. I can't find any other term that defines who I am. I've tried identifying as so many different sexualities and none of them ever stuck. My sexuality randomly changes from asexual, heterosexual, bisexual, pansexual, homosexual, etc. For a long time I thought there was something seriously wrong with me.I've come out too many times to the point where my mom is like "whatever" and it just breaks me inside. Are there any other abrosexuals out there? I'd love to get to know you!

EDIT holy shit ignore me. I thought this was a new topic lol FAIL. Unless you're still around the forums and do walt to answer @botanywildfowl, haha! End Edit.

Hi there :) Could you explain the difference between abrosexuality and pansexuality? 

I am pretty sure that if I HAD to label my sexual preference when it comes to actual gender, it would be polysexual (attracted to multiple but not all genders) but that's waaaaay too complicated haha so I just avoid labelling my gender preference at all!

But yeah I'd be interested to know the difference between abrosexuality and pansexuality!

I second Pan's request. It's not that I don't believe you guys when you say your sexuality constantly fluctuates, but I've been around my bi friend too often to not understand it's pretty common for bi/pan people to have phases where they're attracted to one, both, all, or no gender (s). The whole thing about not always being attracted to everyone is why asexuality had to fight for visibility since people would misunderstand it as just a phase of not wanting anything after a bad breakup or something.

So could someone explain the difference?

(Also, I apologize that the first thing that came to my mind when I read "abrosexuality" was abra-sexual, like the pokemon or "abra cadabra".)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Zeaphod beeblbrox

hi
I'm abro-sexual and abro-romantic, and i can tell you they are definitely very real, but i have been bi and pan for periods of time and all of my friends bar 1 are ether bi or pan, so i understand where your coming from.
speaking in general terms, this wont apply to everybody:
its true that pan and bi, as with all orientations, can vary in there intensity's, going from "not really fussed but sounds good" to "oh my god yes" and all in between with relation to what they're attracted to. however, abro-sexuals experience these fluctuations too when we are in the respective sexuality's, but we change sexuality's as well, sometimes over a period of time but it can also be extremely fast, less than a second, and then experience these degrees of attraction/intensity in whatever new sexuality we happen to be. also, as far as i know, pan-sexuals dont go asexual, although they can have periods of little or no attraction, sometimes associated with a stimulant e.g. a breakup (please correct me if I'm wrong, i love learning about this stuff) i don't think they would feel physically sick at the thought of something even remotely sexual, as an intensely asexual person can. also, changing orientation doesn't feel the same as changing intensity. if you were to compare it to colors, each one has different shades, but you can still call it green if its green or blue if its blue, it could be sky blue or navy, but its still a blue. when your abro you change color as well as shade. its kind of hard to describe but think of it as going from being red to green in the blink of an eye, you know its different, and that its not just a change of intensity
i hope that answers your question 🙂

as a side note, its so nice reading this forum, I've never heard of anyone like me before and my dad had a very similar view to star bit although he barely even believed that bisexuality existed, which was a little depressing. my best friend's been really supportive though and I'm really gratefull to them. It helps to have support.
  • Like 2

Hi. I am an abrosexual, and I can say that, from the research of I've done and the way I feel, what you are feeling is normal for abrosexual people. Sometimes you may feel bi, or het, or pan, or homo- it changes. That's kinda the definition of abrosexual. The people who are saying that it is just bisexual are not taking into account that all of this is actually typical abrosexual feelings. Don't worry: your sexual orientation may change and vary a lot, but you are still abrosexual, but also that sexuality at that time. I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Yes Jamie YES, IM ABROSEXUAL TOO, yes WE EXIST, if u need to talk, write me in dm on instagram (@cathe_rijen) ^^ be strong, we exist

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
Qualityculost
On 9/20/2016 at 2:49 AM, Star Bit said:

That's just called being a normal bisexual. Sexual people don't desire sex 24/7 and go through dry spells. It's a misconception that bi peoples attractions don't fluctuate. They factually and commonly do. Yes, there are many other bisexuals just like you out there.

Hey maybe don’t. They’re different things my guy.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just recently discovered this term myself. I had been saying I was Ace for a while, but I knew that wasn’t completely right. I also didn’t feel right labeling myself with other terms either. I knew about gay, straight, bi, pan, etc. and NOTHING felt right to me. I have been struggling with my sexuality for a few years and felt like maybe something was wrong with me. I saw someone say they were Abrosexual, so I looked it up. Honestly, when I read what it was it just felt completely right. I felt like I had finally found a term to describe what I was feeling. Reading the negative comments from a few people here have been extremely disheartening. I assume many people have struggled to figure out who they are, and when they find something that fits them, you tell them they are wrong. However, it is nice to see that I am not alone in the way I feel.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
drake.twerking

how is this even a thing? Your sexual orientation is genetic, which means it's in your genes. You get your sexuality from your parents and your parent's parents and so forth. Unless this is proven by a scientist as a crazy genetic disorder, i am labeling this as a confused pansexual or bisexual person.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2017 at 7:53 PM, Star Bit said:

@OneStarfishMatters @MusicAndFandoms Yes it's a real thing, but it's a completely normal (bisexual) thing, nothing more. YouTube it and you'll find evidence of it on Bi videos.

It might be, but I am abrosexual and it is different. It may, for some people, be a preferred label, some  people (like me) prefer to be called queer over other sexualities they may identify with, for example. 

Edited by ...ka
  • Like 1
On 9/20/2017 at 7:53 PM, Star Bit said:

@OneStarfishMatters @MusicAndFandoms Yes it's a real thing, but it's a completely normal (bisexual) thing, nothing more. YouTube it and you'll find evidence of it on Bi videos.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:39 AM, drake.twerking said:

how is this even a thing? Your sexual orientation is genetic, which means it's in your genes. You get your sexuality from your parents and your parent's parents and so forth. Unless this is proven by a scientist as a crazy genetic disorder, i am labeling this as a confused pansexual or bisexual person.

I am abrosexual and I'm not confused about my sexuality. 

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Im a bit confused. I identified as pan, but then i go through intense shifts in my sexuality where im not attracted to anyone at all. Previous crushes vanish and sex or related things are gross and unimaginable and then im back. These different periods last for months not days or weeks. During this time i cannot be attracted to anyone at all. Ive always had trouble identifying my sexuality and settled on pan because *sometimes * i like everyone. Abrosexuality seems to fit but my shifts are so long. Also bit star reasoned that just how you can have periods of cravings and then be like eww hwy did i think that, those are all physical situations with real reasons. A breakup or  a pregnancy causes you to have intense feelings you would otherwise never have. Mine is just a complete disappearance of attraction out of nowhere and then back.

• 4 weeks later...
Jojodatscottishguy

Hey there all, found this forum by accident, but today i felt that after a long time of many years i could finally put a name to the way i am, so today i am an abrosexual person. woo hoo. After many years of believing that i was mentally unbalanced, its only been latterly when i really put my mind to it in research, normally being put off by academic articles that all roads for me lead to me being abrosexual. And finally i feel normal. But in this realization of it, i recognize that it will have a knock on effect, mostly negative in other areas of my life. One being a church goer. oh boy. 

• 1 year later...
MetaphoricalLoser

Hey Jaimie,

My name's Jamie too, and I'm also abrosexual!

I'm sorry that all these folks in the comments are bashing you in. I mean, if you're anything like me you already have those bouts of nagging doubts. Don't need other people propelling on that internalized abrophobia, eh? 

If it's any consolation, my experience as an abro is veryyyy different from my bi friend's experience. I've experienced multiple different types and intensities of attraction. Sometimes I feel attraction to one or multiple genders, sometimes none. 

My bi friend is always attracted to both men and women. I imagine that his preferences change, but does that mean he sometimes loses all interest in sex with a man or woman in favour of sleep and a hearty meal? Unlikely. 

TLDR: I'm like you, and I think you belong. 

• 1 month later...

I know this is a really late reply and probably no one's going to read this but: Hi! I'm abro too. 

It's nice to see I'm not alone with this stuff and that a lot of you had similar experiences to me. 

I just made a post casually mentioning I'm abro to talk about something else in one of the other forums and got a lot of vaguely invalidating responses so I'm glad to see there's actually other abro people on here and I'm not the only one. I'm sad to see that the invalidation part seems to be a pretty common thing though

• 1 year later...
victoriaValentine
On 9/22/2017 at 9:06 PM, acestudent said:

. I identify as Ace, primarily, but I go through periods of being strongly attracted to one or the other sex/gender combination, periods of outright sex repulsion, and other times where I am just uninterested in being sexual at all (without repulsion). And in each of these periods, I cannot imagine being any other way. To the point where I feel like I must have been a fraud in the other contexts. It is very disorienting (ba dum tss), and has often left me feeling like I just don't belong anywhere. I would want to talk to some more folks who identify with this and maybe look into it a bit more, but it has a kind of familiarity to it, much as "asexual" and "neutrois" did for me when I first started learning about them.

Hi, I came here to 1. Find some experiences I relate to and 2. To finally feel a bit more validated. And wow that sums up how I've felt for so long. It's to the point where I even wonder if I'm abro sometimes or if I'm just crazy. Thank you so much for sharing this it's helped me a lot. My 'periods' consist of ace, demi, lesbian, hetero, pan, and bi with ace and demi as the majority of the time. 

victoriaValentine

Also hi Jamie. Nice to meet you and other abros on here. It's upsetting about all the negative comments and replies tbh but I love to see the positive ones on here. I hope you are doing well.