I think I may be heteroromantic after all

mikeman7918

When I first realized that I am asexual I assumed that I am heteroromantic but I soon started identifying as aromantic because I have no interest in things like holding hands, kissing, hugging, and cuddling. I am kind of touch adverse and I don't understand why people enjoy that kind of thing, I even dislike platonic hugs from family members and friends and I get a bit annoyed when my dog tries to cuddle with me. Externally, any relationship I have will look very much like a queerplatonic one because we won't do anything that best friends wouldn't do. It makes sense because as far as other people are concerned I might as well be aromantic.

On the other hand, I enjoy love stories and love songs as much as the next guy as long as it's nothing remotely sexual. I have noticed that I have a definite preference for girls when it comes to relationships, but it's possible that it's a cultural thing because my parents are Christian and I would not want to have to deal with the stigma of having a QPR with a dude, it's hard to separate those things. I've looked up the definition of "romance" and one definition I found is "a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love" which I think I feel towards certain people, but then again I also have a feeling of excitement associated with finding a new friend or getting to know someone that I have a squish on.

In a nutshell, I'm confused about what romantic attraction is again. Perhaps I'm gray-heteroromantic or something, I don't know. I know that this is ultimately up to me, but some suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

This is exactly how I feel too! Except for the liking love songs and stories... I’m pretty sure I’m aromantic as well I think i need to date a few more guys to make sure tho bc as of right now I’ve only dated (and currently dating) one guy.

Galactic Turtle

I enjoy things like Korean dramas and other stories with romance in them. I even have favorite ships in some fandoms. However I ID as aro because I don't have a desire for that myself and have never been attracted to someone in that way. I have a good friend who I think I would work well with in a QPR,  however I'm also ok remaining the way we are should she find that type of relationship abnormal. Besides her I can't imagine being in a QPR with anyone else as partnerships of that nature isn't something I desire in general anyway.

Archived