Huge asexuality percentages in Japan

johnistss

There was a minor gender variation:

• 48.3% of men reported not having sex

• 50.1% of women reported not having sex

According to Japan Times, both figures showed a 5% increase since two years ago.

Respondents gave a range of reasons as to why: 21.3% of married men and 17.8% married women cited fatigue from work, and 23% of married women said sex was "bothersome." And 17.9% of male respondents said they had little interest (or a strong dislike) of sex.

http://www.businessinsider.com/half-of-japanese-people-arent-having-sex-2015-7

I haven't been to Japan to see this phenomenon firsthand, but I've read plenty about it from multiple sources, none of which will say so, but there appears to be a ratchet effect going on there. By that I mean the "herbivore" men striking the match, as it were, by not pursuing women, who then pour gasoline on the fire, as it were, by insulting the men for this.

Guess they won't be satisfied until the birthrate crashes and their country becomes one big ghost town.

booksaremysexlife

Because all asexuals are ninjas and ninjas originate from Japan

(Actually I have no idea if that is a true fact so don't cite me as a source.)

:aven: :ph34r::cake::ph34r::cake::ph34r::cake::ph34r::cake::ph34r::cake::ph34r::cake::ph34r::cake::ph34r: :aven:

Phantasmal Fingers

I've seen all these Japanese people not having sex with each other! They do not do it in public as well! Outrageous!

That is interesting, I do know though a lot of men (businessmen) don't really have time for a relationship. Since their jobs are so demanding, they just can't have a relationship. I know Dating Sims have become quite popular especially in Japan, so men can still get that 'relationship' but they can leave the game come back to it in a week. The girl in the game will be happy to see him regardless of how much time has passed.

Anthracite_Impreza

Not having sex =/= asexual

That phenomenon in Japan is well-known, but doesn't necessarily mean that about half of Japan's population is asexual. Asexuality is intrinsically lacking any desire for sex with others. The article mentioned multiple factors behind why so many are choosing to not have sex or marry, including economic concerns and gender roles; men concerned about not being able to provide for a family due to Japan's economy having been stagnant since the 1990's, there isn't much job security, and many women wanting to keep their jobs and be independent, since women are still strongly expected to quit their jobs upon marriage.

Salted Karamel

I thought the same thing, but the 17.9% of men who said they had "little interest (or a strong dislike) of sex" might be. (As well as a hefty portion of the 23% of married women who find sex "bothersome" perhaps?)

One Winged Angel

As echoed above, a lack of having sex does not mean Asexuality is the reason. If a Japanese person was Asexual, they would need no other pretentious "reason" for not having sex, as they knew the answer - they were Asexual!

The people who said they had "little interest or strong dislike" for sex could possibly be Ace, but again it could be many other things as well. Only the person who answered the question will truly know.

I have a friend who is almost obsessed with reading about this birth rate problem in Japan. He talks to me on Skype about it all the time (and he does NOT know that I am Asexual). Some of the reasons given by Japanese media are OK and believable, but others are sanctimonious rubbish and make me really pleased I am not an Aro-Ace living in Japan (although there's a lot of Japanese culture I admire, as well).

As other posters mentioned above,just because those people are not having sex does not mean that we should automaticaly assume that they're asexual.

There can be many reasons for them to not want to have sex.And I wouldn't know why since I'm ace to begin with.

Flaming_Weirdo

yet another great reason too move too japan

I thought the same thing, but the 17.9% of men who said they had "little interest (or a strong dislike) of sex" might be. (As well as a hefty portion of the 23% of married women who find sex "bothersome" perhaps?)

That seem like something to look into. I know there's a slight possibility that in some places, asexuality is actually more common than homosexuality and bisexuality with the Wikipedia statistics I found, and Japan might just be the best place to support that assertion.

bullshit, it just that most celibate at there

Salted Karamel

As echoed above, a lack of having sex does not mean Asexuality is the reason. If a Japanese person was Asexual, they would need no other pretentious "reason" for not having sex, as they knew the answer - they were Asexual!

The people who said they had "little interest or strong dislike" for sex could possibly be Ace, but again it could be many other things as well. Only the person who answered the question will truly know.

I have a friend who is almost obsessed with reading about this birth rate problem in Japan. He talks to me on Skype about it all the time (and he does NOT know that I am Asexual). Some of the reasons given by Japanese media are OK and believable, but others are sanctimonious rubbish and make me really pleased I am not an Aro-Ace living in Japan (although there's a lot of Japanese culture I admire, as well).

Well, you'd have to expound on this a lot more, but the feelings expressed in your last paragraph here seem to reflect what I suspect about Japan: that a lot of ace people living in Japan might not know they're asexual, because Japanese culture isn't giving a whole lot of spotlight and education on asexuality. If the entire culture at large is going, "Gee, all these people purposely not having sex must have some really weird reasons for it that we need to research extensively because we can't fathom anyone just not wanting to have sex," that seems to indicate to me a general cultural unawareness of asexuality, because otherwise these surveys might be something along the line of, "Gee, all these people are purposely not having sex; are they asexual??" And although I've heard of this general issue in Japan multiple times before, I never see any surveys or anything where it's been approached from that angle. Not even here, on AVEN.

It therefore might follow that a large percentage of asexual Japanese people may not be identifying as asexual, may be unaware of asexuality/that they are asexual, and may be responding in these surveys as something like "I'm totes straight because of course I am but I have a strong dislike or little interest in sex" or "I'm totes straight because of course I am but I find it extremely bothersome to have sex with my husband oh god why did I get married it's like this for everyone, right???"

One Winged Angel

You may have a point, as I do see people on AVEN who were not aware they were Asexual and they say many of the same things as the Japanese person might.

I do believe however that they will know deep inside that the "reasons" given by the media are not true. Much like someone who will later identify as Asexual knows that they not a late bloomer, for example. This, of course, can lead to a lot of confusion and indeed, misunderstanding of the issue at hand.

I definitely think you may be right regarding a general unawareness about Asexuality in the culture, however, I do not profess to be an expert on Japanese society, and thus is not my place to comment.

But if Asexuality is not known about at all, it stands to reason that the person may assume they are allosexual but are just "not interested in sex for some reason" - which is how a number of people begin their Asexual journey. Interesting thoughts.

• 6 months later...

http://www.thedatereport.com/dating/sex/an-epidemic-of-asexuality-is-plaguing-japan/

^ I googled this phenomenon, and wow what an insensitive article. Asexuality is not an illness..... -.-'

To me, many stories from people who have moved to Japan just sound so overly sexual it's unbelievable. It's like, groping in trains, attempted rapes / rapes for which the men don't even get a penalty (because it's the woman's "fault".....), married people having multiple lovers.... This new sexually inactive development, if it's true, just makes me think that maybe the younger generation is less sexually aggressive, which is good.

The articles I've read on the subject suggest a lot of reasons for the decline in marriage and especially children. I, personally, do not think asexuality would make as much as an impact as people who wish to rebel against cultural pressures that would force young women to either leave the workforce after marriage, or if they don't leave, find a way to take care of any resulting children (which is a very expensive step for most people), plus there are no incentives for getting married (yeah, yeah, I know there are who people wish the government would stay out of it), and the long hours everyone is expected to put in at work is detrimental to having children as well.

http://theweek.com/articles/453219/everything-need-know-about-japans-population-crisis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/02/26/its-official-japans-population-is-drastically-shrinking/?utm_term=.b05711087fe5

https://www.marketplace.org/2016/04/18/world/babies

Archived