Unassailable Asexual

cavalier080854

cavalier080854

I'm reading "The Invisible Orientation". On page 12 suddenly this reference to Gold-Star Asexuals or Ideal Asexuals bursts out of the page with a reference that in Asexual communities is a Joke Asexual. Complete with a list 10 privileges to have this trait. Could someone please explain to me the joke? All 10, with the exception of good looks (I'm not that arrogant to judge myself correctly) applied to me in the past and probably to a lot of us. So are we the Joke if we say something public if these traits apply to us, isn't this a form of invalidation.?

Phantasmal Fingers

Can you quote the page? What are the 10 traits?

If I read her right, gold star asexuals are people who are held up as the poster asexual, someone who falls under the following list:

Are healthy (mentally and physically, not on medication)
Are able-bodied
Have never experienced abuse
Are extroverted and/or socially competent
Are cisgendered (not transgender, non-binary, genderfluid, agender, genderqueer, neutrois, bigender, thirdgender, or gender questioning)
Are supportive of other's consensual sex practices (though indifferent to sex themselves)
Don't have a libido
Are physically attractive
Are not interested in romantic relationships (or, sometimes, interested in hetero relationships)
Are between the ages of twenty and forty

locations on my Kindle: 409-427

bluedragonwings

The joke is that that is the "perfect" ace, the one that can never be faulted for being ace do to some other reason. Basically the "joke" is that if that is not you, someone somewhere will claim you are not a real ace.

That perfect ace will probably still be doubted, though.

You can't be a woman, since it's normal for women not to want sex.

And can't be a man as well, since men always want sex.

Any tie with religion will probably be frowned upon.

It's also probably better if you're white.

And while it's better not to have a libido, because asexuals obviously don't have libidos, if you don't have a libido that's probably a problem and you should go see Doctor about it.

In the end, damned if you are, damned if you aren't.

There is no such thing as an unassailable asexual.

Lixt, you have successfully noted the central problems of asexual-acceptance at coming outs! ;)

cavalier080854

The 10 traits are listed by Fuzzipueo just under your post 1/2 hour after.

cavalier080854

I still don't get the joke. In todays image conscious society, almost all organisations use attractive people in the media. Are we only going to use ordinary (we should) people to get our message across?