Acephobia and Aphobia

Aceofspades123

Aceofspades123

I have always thought that acephobia is the correct term to use for when someone is being offensive about asexuality but, I'm seeing more and more people use the term "Aphobia" which I thought was a bit strange because, surely, Aphobia could refer to Asexuality or aromanticism (Maybe even agender). Is "Aphobia" the correct term to use for someone who is being offensive to asexuals or is it someone who is offensive to both asexuality and aromanticism. If it is the case that "Aphobia" is the term used for offense towards asexuality, what is it for aromanticism? Or if it is for both asexuality and aromanticism, would acephobic be the correct term to use for someone who was offensive to asexuals but not aromantics?

There's also the option of asexophobia/asexphobia, which - in my opinion - sounds more "legitimate". Furthermore, a differenciation between fear/disgust related to aromanticism and asexuality is necessary, so if someone refers specifically to a fear/disgust of aromanticism, they probably should refer to it as arophobia or maybe aromantiphobia, since it's not directly related to asexuality after all.

I'm not exactly fond of using acephobia myself (since ace is more of a slang term for asexuality and makes it sound... strange) and aphobia rather sounds like it refers to a lack of fear to me.

There is a similar thread with a poll about the terms and preferences/usage of individual terms in case you're interested:

Click here for the thread.

Interestingly, given the poll results, most people prefer acephobia and most use acephobia. I guess it all comes down to personal preference after all. ;)

Though I'm fairly sure it only refers to asexuality. A fear of aromantics likely requires the use of a different term.

But, wouldn't "Aphobia" mean fearlessness? A- as a prefix means "not." Hence, asexual means not sexual. Aromantic means not romantic. Atheist means not theist. So aphobia would mean not fear. I know phobia is often used to mean hate instead of fear like in homophobia meaning hate of homosexuals but wouldn't that still mean aphobia translating to not hate?

I'm honestly not trying to be dense here. I get the logic behind the word. I am just still constantly surprised how deep and detailed the asexual/aromantic vocabulary is.

Anyway, is there such thing as the term arophobia? I want to say I've seen that term before.

No idea if arophobia actually exists as as term, I simply threw that into my post in an attempt of coming up with a difference. :lol:

But just as I think asexophobia would be a better term to use for asexual fear/hatred/disgust, I think aromantiphobia would be a better term for aromantics fear/hatred/disgust. It's more obvious too, since it actually contains a big part of the aromantic word.

And yes, A stands for lack of, which is why I would interpret aphobia as "lack of fear/hatred" as well. The term is way too short and general to be properly usable in my opinion. I feel like there's too much room for interpretation of its meaning.

NerotheReaper

I just find it funny people are actually offended by asexuality, or someone being aromantic. It's like I can understand someone might not be comfortable watching two gay people make out, but having someone who isn't doing anything with anyone. How can you be offended by someone who is just sitting there drawing dinosaurs and eating mac and cheese?

Sadly, people will always try to find something to complain about. Remember last year some people flipped out about the red cup from Starbucks? A cup...

Because they feel their personal world view is being attacked for whatever reason by someone going (completely) against their views/lifestyle. Some probably think they're doing it on purpose or to provoke too.

And I suspect that it's a sign that those who feel offended by it feel pretty insecure about themselves and their surroundings. Not much else to it. :rolleyes:

I just find it funny people are actually offended by asexuality, or someone being aromantic. It's like I can understand someone might not be comfortable watching two gay people make out, but having someone who isn't doing anything with anyone. How can you be offended by someone who is just sitting there drawing dinosaurs and eating mac and cheese?

Sadly, people will always try to find something to complain about. Remember last year some people flipped out about the red cup from Starbucks? A cup...

The only reason I can think of someone being offended by asexuality is that the realization that asexuals exists is an attack to one's sexual dominance potentials.

Sleepy Skeleton

None of them make much sense, but I think aphobia makes the least sense. So I use acephobia because it's clear what it refers to. The romantic equivalent is arophobia.

Is this really prevalent enough to require a phobia name? Is it literally just people in the great echo chamber otherwise known as tumblr?

Is this really prevalent enough to require a phobia name? Is it literally just people in the great echo chamber otherwise known as tumblr?

Prevalence have nothing to do with that. Heterophobia exists, but nonetheless we have a name for that.

Prevalence have nothing to do with that. Heterophobia exists, but nonetheless we have a name for that.

I've never heard anyone use the word heterophobia before and really doubt it is true. You can't just chuck any word in front of phobia and make it an actual thing.

Homophobia/transphobia/biphobia are all existing things because it is about prejudice and discrimination towards historically oppressed groups. Being prejudicial towards heterosexual people wouldn't be heterophobia, it is just you being an arsehole.

AceInDaBlackHole

But, wouldn't "Aphobia" mean fearlessness? A- as a prefix means "not." Hence, asexual means not sexual. Aromantic means not romantic. Atheist means not theist. So aphobia would mean not fear. I know phobia is often used to mean hate instead of fear like in homophobia meaning hate of homosexuals but wouldn't that still mean aphobia translating to not hate?

I'm honestly not trying to be dense here. I get the logic behind the word. I am just still constantly surprised how deep and detailed the asexual/aromantic vocabulary is.

Anyway, is there such thing as the term arophobia? I want to say I've seen that term before.

It stands to reason, though IDK if there's a term "arophobia". Maybe you saw "acrophobia"? I don't think aro has been around long enough to have enough social awareness for a special word to be used for the "crowds" of haters that would result. If it has, I haven't seen the word before. ...Speaking of titles....

I can't remember where but, I read a request to update the definition of asexual to something simpler and it was worded as "someone without the want for sex" (yadda, yadda, yadda & sub-categories) instead of attraction. I like it because it explains the physical feeling (sort of) instead of making it sound possible to read "attraction" the other way (as emotional instead of physical)

As detailed as the language is, it's also too bulky; to complex. Sexuality should still feel free but the language complicates that feeling until you understand where you fit in or the information you needed to make sense of something, etc.

I've never heard anyone use the word heterophobia before and really doubt it is true. You can't just chuck any word in front of phobia and make it an actual thing.

Homophobia/transphobia/biphobia are all existing things because it is about prejudice and discrimination towards historically oppressed groups. Being prejudicial towards heterosexual people wouldn't be heterophobia, it is just you being an arsehole.

It's an actual thing, but relevant thing it isn't at all. Just a few isolated case of hatred of heterosexual individuals is enough to show heterophobia exists. Relevant =/= Existing