Annoying things sexists say

Emery.

This one came from my mom: "tell your feminine side to do the dishes yourself, aren't you bigender? "

cosmosredshift7

A month ago, when my team in overwatch was setting up, two people on my team had mics: one presumably a guy, the other a girl. The girl was saying encouraging stuff to everyone, which inspired the guy to immediately say, "I hope you're hot".

giphy.gif

It kind of makes me thankful that I sound like a teenage boy over the phone/mic, but then i get heckled anyway for that exact reason so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ welcome to hell

My family on my mum's side is predominantly female, so whenever there's a get together there's usually at least one comment about how useless men are or that a man who seems "effeminate" in any way must be gay or how any and all problems in their relationship is just because he's a man and that's how they are etc. Then, when I point out that if men said similar kind of things about women it would be considered sexist or at least rude, I'm told that it's true so it's ok, or that women are allowed to say this stuff and that I'm ruining their fun.

I actually ditched my English Language course because a large part of it was about how men and women use language differently because of their gender. It wasn't so much the theory side of it that bugged me, but rather how these differences were said to be factual and applicable to everyone, despite every "scientific difference" being a clear stereotype that shouldn't be taught in a school as the objective reason for "gendered" language. Seriously the course may as well have been taken out of that "Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" book.

Another thing that really grinds my gears is how my badminton teacher told me to play the game properly I must sideskip towards the back of the court because, and I quote, "women cannot run backwards" (I'm AFAB and questioning my gender so all of this "women do this"really wasn't helping and the blatant sexism just made it worse). This wasn't even advice that I could take or leave, he corrected me anytime I ran backwards and made me skip. He also had a habit of saying "good girl!" every time I did something right (still a beginner) like I was a poodle or something. We always had to play doubles due to large numbers of members playing, and apparently when playing mixed doubles it is the women's place to play at the front of the net, no arguments. I don't like playing at the front, it's difficult to judge whether the shuttle is going to be in range or not, and I don't like moving back to hit it because I have no idea where the guy behind me is. Most of the time the shuttle just go over my head anyway so I'm just sat there watching. I'd much rather play at the back, where I can see my teammate, know for certain when I'm meant to be playing, and, you know, actually play. But no, "the ladies play at the front". I don't play there anymore.

Someone's probably mentioned it before:

"I'm not sexist, but..."

All the pointless gendering is almost physically painful to see or hear. "You can't do this because you're not this gender!" things like that. I hope those people will one day realize how dumb they sound.

I also hate it when some people demand others to look or behave a certain way to be "real" representatives of their gender. It's a bit difficult for me to explain properly though.

PurveyorOfBadPuns

I once had a guy open a medical school interview by telling me that he "didn't believe in affirmative action and didn't support women being doctors just because they were women" before knowing anything else about me…  Yeah, I got accepted to that medical school.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest And Peggy

So in my school, we're doing the play Hamilton (well, actually just the songs), and I play Lafayette (a boys role) and I'm a girl. One of the songs had the word "ass" in it and the guy who played John Laurens said he wouldn't say it "because there's a girl here" and so I said "Oh really? Then I'll say it first. You're an ass." 

• 2 weeks later...

You're not looking for a husband :o? You're not going to be young forever. (A guy from a third world country told me that, but still... I was pissed)

Your a girl/female/woman, you shouldn't be carrying/lifting/carrying heavy objects.

You can't cook :o (I don't know if this is sexist, but I'm guessing that people would be less shocked about the fact that I can't cook if I was a guy)

1 minute ago, helana12_03 said:

You're not looking for a husband :o? You're not going to be young forever. (A guy from a third world country told me that, but still... I was pissed)

Your a girl/female/woman, you shouldn't be carrying/lifting/carrying heavy objects.

You can't cook :o (I don't know if this is sexist, but I'm guessing that people would be less shocked about the fact that I can't cook if I was a guy)

Happens to my sister all the time, I can see how annoying it would be.

1 minute ago, Assemble said:

Happens to my sister all the time, I can see how annoying it would be.

All 3 have happened to me. 

4 minutes ago, helana12_03 said:

All 3 have happened to me. 

Not being able to carry heavy objects just because of your sex never made sense to me.

Not being able to carry heavy objects just because of your sex never made sense to me.

Same here. Apparently, some people believe that there are some health risks associated with heavy lifting such as Uterine Prolapse. Others believe they're being respectful.

1 minute ago, helana12_03 said:

Same here. Apparently, some people believe that there are some health risks associated with heavy lifting such as Uterine Prolapse. Others believe they're being respectful.

I'm wondering what the average IQ of sexists is right now...

4 minutes ago, Assemble said:

I'm wondering what the average IQ of sexists is right now...

lol. To be honest, I've met some pretty intelligent sexists before. Those who were concerned about Uterine Prolapse were generally pretty smart.

2 minutes ago, helana12_03 said:

To be honest, I've met some pretty intelligent sexists before. Those who were concerned about Uterine Prolapse were generally pretty smart.

Weird.

Just now, Assemble said:

Weird.

I feel like being sexist has more to do with being old fashioned.

Yesterday I was called a misandrist bc I believe women have it harder,  apparently defending women makes anybody a man-hater.

2 minutes ago, helana12_03 said:

I feel like being sexist has more to do with being old fashioned.

Yes, even both of my parents think gender roles suck.

1 minute ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Yesterday I was called a misandrist bc I believe women have it harder,  apparently defending women makes anybody a man-hater.

People, they're all the same.

Yes, even both of my parents think gender roles suck.

Growing up I did all the "manly" stuff around the house.

Just now, helana12_03 said:

Growing up I did all the "manly" stuff around the house.

I was always too lazy. 💖

People, they're all the same.

Apparently, disagreeing with anyone makes you a sexist pig.

Just now, AVEN #1 fan said:

Apparently, disagreeing with anyone makes you a sexist pig.

Fun fact: there's a difference between being conservative and republican. ^_^

Just now, Assemble said:

Fun fact: there's a difference between being conservative and republican. ^_^

Rly? i must be blind then. O.o

2 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Rly? i must be blind then. O.o

My mom is both Chinese and a vampire, yes you are.

Archived