YouTuber Ricky Dillon talks about his (a)sexuality

Mikasa

Great video, I'm proud of him for being so open. He says he doesn't want to label himself, but he also talks about not feeling any sexual or romantic attraction. And most of the comments are really positive! (Now let's just hope it will stay that way...)

That's great, but he does have the misconception that asexuality includes aromanticism.

Valar Morghulis

That is so good, he has a lot of viewers and he is really confident on what he is saying and expressing it well. Solid visibility work :)

And I disagree Star Bit, he is just explaining his own situation and clearly stated that he just knows he is nothing and doesnt know how to put it but feels more closely represented by the asexual label, in no part of the video he said "asexuality is this and that" and started giving class. Seems like an aro asexual person trying to explain their situation, and in reality when we are outside of Aven we are better off not even mentioning stuff like asexuality or aromanticism if we want to be understood, much better to explain what you feel like he does in the video. Cheers

I don't think he's trying to argue asexual=aromantic. I mean, he describes himself the same way many aro ace people would, but he's not using himself and all his feelings as a template for an asexual person.

The thing that I found to be slightly problematic was him saying that his hormones are "probably" off. Promoting the idea that a lack of romantic/sexual attraction (with no other side effects) indicates a hormone problem contributes to a negative stereotype of asexuals. I recognize the leeway in that he doesn't personally identify as asexual and is open about his lack of knowledge, but I still think what he said is going to encourage negative perceptions/disbelief of the validity of asexuality.

Besides that, I found the video both relatable and interesting. I'm considering coming out to my housemates, and it's for a similar reason as his: people are making assumptions about my sexuality and I don't want to seem "ashamed" (or be considered "straight/gay by default").

That's great, but he does have the misconception that asexuality includes aromanticism.

Guess what? For some it does. This is my biggest complaint with people on this site. For some they are related. Get used to it. Stop "correcting" everyone who doesn't describe themselves the same you would. Geez.

NO, the two are two different things. If they think otherwise then they're misinformed. I'm not saying aro aces don't exist, I'm saying thinking that asexuality includes aromanticism is a NEEDED CORRECTION because they aren't and it's already a popular misconception that they are. I know he's not directly saying they're the same, I'm just saying it can be easily read that way because he never mentions aromanticsm. In fact it already happened; several people said they're the same as him in the comments, and if they never look anything up on it and identify with just the term he states then they are going to spread misinformation.

I enjoyed that video, it's nice to see someone talk about asexuality. However, I went to his Youtube page to see some of his videos. I couldn't help but notice his most popular video (7 million views) is titled "Relationships: Then vs. Now." Another one of his most popular videos features him kissing a guy. In the video about his sexuality, he clearly states that he has no desire to be in a relationship or kiss. I think it's interesting how we as asexuals, especially when we are younger, feel the pressure to conform by entering conventional relationships. I've never been in a relationship, probably more because I am asocial. Otherwise I probably would have been forcing myself to date and kiss and possibly have sex with men. Even though that's something I wouldn't naturally desire if the idea hadn't been drilled in my head.

Archived