Do you eat meat?

WinterWanderer

217 members have voted

1. 1. What type of diet do you follow?

• I'm vegan.
    • I'm vegetarian.
    • I'm pescatarian.
    • I follow another type of diet that limits my meat intake.
    • I'm an omnivore.
    • Other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

I've tried to go vegan for a couple of months but it didn't work for me. Vegan options aren't always available here and finding food when out and about was a struggle. Plus, I just missed meat A LOT. I never felt like eating meat is wrong and I still don't so going back to eating it wasn't a problem for me.

I do limit my meat consumption though and try to eat as little dairy and eggs as possible. I still cook lots of vegan food at home though.

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

I don't think I'm anything, I eat whatever feels tasty to me. So I love both meat and vegetables, or both healthy and junk food. It just has to have a good taste for me.

I ticked "I follow another type of diet that limits my meat intake." because I didn't feel comfortable with the other options (should've ticked others then, whoops). I'm neither omnivore nor vegetarian, but something in between. I do eat meat, but max. once or twice per week; also I do not eat all kinds of meat (I prefer turkey and maybe chicken). I live alone and cook for myself every day, HOWEVER if I feel really lazy I might have frozen pizza. As for dairy... tbh that's something I do not pay so much attention to. I only drink lactose-free milk or soy-milk because it doesn't upset my stomach as much. I'm not a huge fan of eggs (if you ever had sick chicken eggs in your package, I dare to say you're allowed to be traumatized), so there's that.

Fluffy Dragon

I'm a pollotarian.. Which means the only meat I eat is chicken...

2 hours ago, mania said:

I'm neither omnivore nor vegetarian, but something in between. I do eat meat, but max. once or twice per week; also I do not eat all kinds of meat (I prefer turkey and maybe chicken).

Sooo... you're an omnivore.

20 minutes ago, SpIatacus said:

Sooo... you're an omnivore.

Judging that I'm surrounded by people who are either vegetarians or madly obsessed by meat, so they NEED to eat it every day, excuse me if I'm a bit averse to that category.

However,  if there was no other option besides vegan/vegetarian/omnivore, I'd have to choose that. But OP did give other choices.

I'm a vegetarian and I started for ethical reasons but mostly because the those reasons made me so repulsed I just couldn't stomach meat any more.  Before I switched I tried just reducing my intake but I'd just stare at the meat when I had it and just couldn't.  So I switched and have only failed a few times when I'm lazy and don't pay attention to how food is prepared or what exactly is in the products I used for years when still eating meat.  I have been unable to go full vegan so far.  I don't like milk all that much but I haven't found a good tasting replacement yet.  And eggs are amazing which I'd have to lose my interest in them in order for me to stop eating them. 

Plus I think if I switched to vegan my mom would try and control my diet from afar with her worrying. She didn't mind me being vegetarian because she's basically one already and knew what to eat, but was satisfied that as long as I still at eggs and cheese, I would be fine. No idea why.

I avoid eating red meat because it does nothing for me in terms of the smell, taste and texture, it's just not for me although I do believe that there are also health benefits to not eating it. I am trying to vary my diet as much as possible and opting for free-range and when possible organic chicken meat, having learned how most chickens are so unethically and intensively farmed. I also buy organic dairy products like milk, natural yoghurt, cheddar cheese and prefer grass-fed butter. I have two free-range eggs on lightly toasted wholemeal bread practically everyday. I probably should be more adventurous at breakfast time!

I cook turkey thigh mince around once a week, that works well in spaghetti bolognese, lasagne etc. I would like to opt for Quorn as a meat replacement but I don't digest it well and I have an intolerance to soy that means a lot of convenient vegetarian options are not available to me. I do enjoy a nut roast as a meat replacement for Sunday lunch.

I like seafood such as wild salmon, lightly smoked haddock, cod, eat practically all fruit and vegetables and snack on pistachio and pecan nuts etc so I think my diet generally balances out ok and I am always open minded to cooking different things.

Guest Pleasedeletethisaccount

I spent the summer trying to become a vegetarian and crumbling every couple weeks, but I last ate meat in August now. I don't think I could be vegan to be honest, not eating meat is quite difficult for me though it has gotten easier over time. Personally I do it for ethical reasons.

voted for omnivore

my diet consists of both veggies and meat/fish

it's pretty much your typical Mediterranean diet. is very balanced and includes a wide variety of foods. 

I'm an omnivore, BUT I mainly eat meat from producers who guarantee that the animals were treated humanely. It's easy to find things like ground beef with that guarantee where I live, but things like milk are a different story.

I also VERY RARELY eat seafood. Like, I literally think I had crab for the first time this month in years. I try to avoid seafood because I don't like the smell or oceany taste. I also have to be careful when I eat crab, lobster, or shrimp because my family has a history of steadily acquiring a severe allergy to those types of seafood.

I'm vegan. The full on lifestyle not just diet. It'll be three years in Febraury. I went vegan after watching the documentrary "Earthlings." If you ever need to cry so much that you think you're dead, go ahead and watch that. Probably the hardest hour and a half of my life was watching that documentary and I felt terrible that I was contributing to that. But even if eating animal products was like eating produce, I was never able to eat them without feeling disgusting because I would think about the thing I'm chewing on. Muscle and fat and other bodily things... Yuck! People ask me all the time if I miss meat and such and saying that I have so much self control but it's honestly the most normal thing for me. I do try my best, though, to hide that I'm vegan from other people. People get really rude and mean about it ;-; I'm not judging anyone or harassing them to go vegan so I really wish everyone would stop getting so "offended" when they find out :'S But anyway, for me, not being vegan is harder than being vegan. 

I'm an omnivore, though my family always joked that I was a carnivore.  I feel like I am the opposite of most of you.  I have meat in one form or another with almost every meal.  And I am too lazy and cheap to try to find ethically sourced meats.  If I had the time and the money, I might.

I should probably try watching my diet more, but I just don't really care at the moment (that might change after my next Dr. appointment.) 

I don't mind vegetarians and vegans as long as they don't try to force their opinion and change what I am eating. Though I will sometimes try their food.

WhenSummersGone
16 hours ago, Joe Parrish said:

While I agree that the food industry can be needlessly cruel to animals, I do not think eating animals is wrong.

I feel the same. I do not support the abuse and it is obviously disgusting and wrong. What's wrong with just making it quick and painless?

1 hour ago, WhenSummersGone said:

I feel the same. I do not support the abuse and it is obviously disgusting and wrong. What's wrong with just making it quick and painless?

Animals require significantly more resources to grow than most plants and many farm animals produce methane that contributes to global warming. Making it "quick and painless" would be nicer, but most of the time that simply doesn't happen, even "free range" animals are often treated cruelly. (the only way to be sure is to research the individual source of the animals)

WhenSummersGone
On December 2, 2016 at 1:24 AM, m4rble said:

Animals require significantly more resources to grow than most plants and many farm animals produce methane that contributes to global warming. Making it "quick and painless" would be nicer, but most of the time that simply doesn't happen, even "free range" animals are often treated cruelly. (the only way to be sure is to research the individual source of the animals)

Ya I just don't see why treating them badly is even needed. Like they could just be killed by a bow and arrow, gun or whatever else.

I don't eat "meat" per say but I consume fish oil from ethical fisheries. 

I am vegetarian, my diet is very nearly vegan, but not quite.

12 hours ago, WhenSummersGone said:

Ya I just don't see why treating them badly is even needed. Like they could just be killed by a bow and arrow, gun or whatever else.

The way they butcher them in most cases isn't the cruel part. It is the living conditions they are kept in before that. 

WinterWanderer

Hey again! It's been a few months, so I thought I'd post an update. :)

I'm still transitioning to vegetarianism. (Everything I buy is vegetarian. But when I go over to other people's houses - like for Thanksgiving - I just eat whatever they're serving.)

I've also found Greek yogurt, eggs, and butter that are all pasture-raised! I'm really happy with the place I get my eggs and butter from. Check it out: http://vitalfarms.com/

I'm just having a hard time maintaining my weight on a vegetarian diet. I only need to eat 1000-1200 calories a day. (I'm a small person.) It's hard to stay within that and still get all the protein I need, because the protein comes with lots of carbs. I.e., a cup of brown rice has only about 5 grams of protein, but that comes with 45 grams of carbs. That's a lot for me. I can already feel the pounds coming on. :( 

I found it easier to eat lighter foods as an omnivore, because chicken is lean and has a lot of protein. The protein sources I have to choose from now are relatively carb-heavy, and I have to eat more of them to get all the protein I need. It's a bit annoying.

1 hour ago, fiorya said:

Hey again! It's been a few months, so I thought I'd post an update. :)

I'm still transitioning to vegetarianism. (Everything I buy is vegetarian. But when I go over to other people's houses - like for Thanksgiving - I just eat whatever they're serving.)

I've also found Greek yogurt, eggs, and butter that are all pasture-raised! I'm really happy with the place I get my eggs and butter from. Check it out: http://vitalfarms.com/

I'm just having a hard time maintaining my weight on a vegetarian diet. I only need to eat 1000-1200 calories a day. (I'm a small person.) It's hard to stay within that and still get all the protein I need, because the protein comes with lots of carbs. I.e., a cup of brown rice has only about 5 grams of protein, but that comes with 45 grams of carbs. That's a lot for me. I can already feel the pounds coming on. :( 

I found it easier to eat lighter foods as an omnivore, because chicken is lean and has a lot of protein. The protein sources I have to choose from now are relatively carb-heavy, and I have to eat more of them to get all the protein I need. It's a bit annoying.

You could try quinoa and nuts(would be horrible for me since I'm allergic, but if you're not that's great for you.) I think I actually ate too few calories when I first transitioned to vegetarianism because I didn't realize I needed to eat a much greater volume of plants than meat. Unless you're filling up on excessive amounts of pasta or junk food I think you're unlikely to gain weight as a result of becoming a vegetarian. 

WhenSummersGone
On December 4, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Snow Owl said:

The way they butcher them in most cases isn't the cruel part. It is the living conditions they are kept in before that. 

I agree on that too. I just saw a graphic video recently and basically it was like slowly killing the animals (I won't go into detail on this). That is also just as disgusting to me.

WinterWanderer
21 hours ago, WhenSummersGone said:

I agree on that too. I just saw a graphic video recently and basically it was like slowly killing the animals (I won't go into detail on this). That is also just as disgusting to me.

Same. I honestly don't mind eating meat in general. But factory farming is awful. I'm hoping that over time, small family farming will become the norm again. (It would require more workers and more green space, but aren't those two things we need? More jobs and more trees/plants.)

I eat seafood/fish on special occasions, but otherwise I don't eat meat. It's been three years eating this way and it makes me happy!

• 3 months later...
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I eat both veggies and meat, however I need more proteins since I have a high metabolism. 

Cows are delicious and I also like things made with their milk. Chickens are pretty great for birds. Lamb is the best of all meats, and I would be very overweight if finding good lamb were cheap and easy.

I actually don't eat meat every day and get my protein from things like yogurt. Siggis is a favorite of mine because no added sugar.

Soy has led to health problems in the past so I avoid it like the plague. I think many people could benefit from cutting soy out of their diets. There are far better sources of protein that aren't full of hormones, doused in pesticides, and still vegan friendly.

Vegetarian here! :)

Technically most of the time my diet is probably vegan, but that's just coincidental. (The vegan being coincidental. Vegetarian is a conscious choice)

Archived