Do you eat meat?

WinterWanderer

217 members have voted

1. 1. What type of diet do you follow?

• I'm vegan.
    • I'm vegetarian.
    • I'm pescatarian.
    • I follow another type of diet that limits my meat intake.
    • I'm an omnivore.
    • Other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

AlwaysADreamer

I have also been considering going vegetarian for a while now, and potentially vegan down the line (I'm a "baby steps" kind of person). I ate a vegetarian diet for a month when I was in high school, but it didn't stick after that. I'm willing to try it again.

I was a vegetarian for 10 years, and returning to "meat" (my stomach can't digest actual flesh, but I consume a lot of homemade chicken stock) consumption was the best thing I could do for my diet. My moods have stabilized, my body feels stronger and I can function better.

Diet isn't as simple as consuming the right amounts of nutrients; there's a lot of things that go into intestinal health. If you do go vegetarian, be sure to consume enough healthy fats and oils to line your intestines (not all fats and oils are bad!!) You don't want them to end up like mine. XD

And trust how your body feels. If you feel crappy after the initial vegetarian high, then maybe you need meat in your diet. I think everyone's bodies are different, so some people can do the vegetarian thing while others can't, like me.

Omnivore ( beerivore),with the exception of dairy other than cheese. I do try and avoid too much processed food though

WhenSummersGone

I was raised to eat both so I have a taste for meat that's hard to ignore.

I'm a cannibal. I eat boys up, breakfast and lunch. then when I'm thirsty, I drink their blood. I'll eat you up.

I was brought up a vegetarian and didn't eat any meat for the first 18 years of my life, then i rebelled and ate meat but realised i didn't like it and it made me feel ill. I am not totally vegetarian now as i occasionally eat fish which doesn't make me ill and is good for you :).(that's my excuse anyway :P) I am a little bit tempted to turn Vegan but not sure i have the willpower.

I'm a vegetarian since 1999, for ethical reasons, as a logical application of philosophy of nonviolence. I tried vegan unsuccessfully, and since I've become celiac and victim of pancreatitis attacks I need to eat easily digestible food anyway, which is much easier with eggs as a part of my diet.

I'm a nutrition nerd and I love cooking and baking, so if you want help to start, PM me :)

I really like meat. :0

I am more conscious these days about how much red meat I eat, and do try to have more meals without meat (which is sometimes pretty hard to do depending on people I'm living with...). I couldn't outright stop eating meat, and neither should I feel I have to, but I am aware of my intake. :)

Omnivore myself.

I use to work with a vegan who would somehow be at the table I would eat at, if I decided to grab something from out of the office but eat it in the office, and got something full of just meat. Think I made a comment about it happening quiet often once but luckily she's not a preachy vegan and was ok with others eating meat around her (as long as we weren't preachy to her about eating meat). Then again I've never meat a preachy vegan or veterinarian,.

A wee bit off topic, I had heard on old boss tell me of how when his daughter (who was about 3 or 4 at the time) learned where lamb chops came from, cried so much that it meant his wife cancelled a lamb shank dinner he was really looking forward too :lol:

Also for the lol's:

cavalier080854

I eat meat for only one reason. Pleasure. I love lamb, duck, rabbit, beef, ostrich, liver, kidneys. To hell with it, I'll eat anything from an animal. If you care for animals why are you eating their food source (joke).

I agree with Naali, people say it must be really hard being Vegetarian but it really isn't. I've been vegetarian since I was 10 years old, so 12 years now, the only person in my family. And I decided myself after my older cousin tried for a while but couldn't keep it up. I haven't relapsed since, other than a few accidents where other people were prepping my food.

You just need to make sure you have a very rounded diet really, to start you should take supplements until you get used to making balanced meats with a meat substitute or protein rich veg, beans or nuts. I donate blood every 3-4 months and I've never been anemic, so don't let people scare you with that. I find I have way more interesting and creative meals than most of my friends and family that eat meat, I find the challenge of finding new meals really fun.

Just bear in mind that you don't have to go full out Vegan straight away. Start off as Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian (you still eat dairy and eggs) and then slowly limit yourself. I've cut out pure Milk, so I have Almond and Soya milk instead, I'm slowly cutting down on milk in products but I still eat eggs that are free range or from local chickens. I still eat honey too as I'm of the opinion that it is a way to sustain the falling bee population, especially if you get local honey. You can do it as slowly as you need to, there are no set rules to it.

I've been vegan for 8 years and I kept myself from reading all of the above posts because I'm afraid I'd lose faith in humanity all over again from people making fun of vegans or somehow acting like eating meat is cool or against the norm I actually have to do this to not stress myself out okbye

But no tbh, if you think it's difficult to transition, just take steps if you have to. I was vegetarian for about 4 years before I went vegan. For me, I just gradually lost the taste for dairy and realized I couldn't morally feel good about myself. I know some people who try it and then give up and I'm just like??? How does that happen? I just don't understand why it's so hard to make a decision multiple times a day. Nobody cares what you eat or what groceries you buy (and if they do, they're jerks and you can delete a few unneeded friends this way, haha.)

WinterWanderer

I've been vegan for 8 years and I kept myself from reading all of the above posts because I'm afraid I'd lose faith in humanity all over again from people making fun of vegans or somehow acting like eating meat is cool or against the norm I actually have to do this to not stress myself out okbye

But no tbh, if you think it's difficult to transition, just take steps if you have to. I was vegetarian for about 4 years before I went vegan. For me, I just gradually lost the taste for dairy and realized I couldn't morally feel good about myself. I know some people who try it and then give up and I'm just like??? How does that happen? I just don't understand why it's so hard to make a decision multiple times a day. Nobody cares what you eat or what groceries you buy (and if they do, they're jerks and you can delete a few unneeded friends this way, haha.)

I could go without eggs, but I can't go without dairy. Specifically cheese :p I'm a cheese buff. I don't think I could ever do away with it completely.

I could go without eggs, but I can't go without dairy. Specifically cheese :P I'm a cheese buff. I don't think I could ever do away with it completely.

I used to think that too! Remember the transition for me literally took years. It's not about trying really hard to deprive yourself or whatever; for me it was just a gradual loss of interest in dairy. Not exactly sure how it happened. But I think if you gravitate towards less dairy, you might eventually just not care about it anymore. I think that's what happened to me. Just, gradual. Feeling bad about animals helps but I honestly think my tastes just changed over a couple years.

I had a carnivorian foodgasm today, so yes.

sir octepus tea

omnivore for medical reasons. I used to be a vegetarian for ~5.5 years, but my blood pressure dropped and turns out I had a vitamin b12, iron and folate deficiency. At first I was only occasionally gonna eat meat so I wouldn't develop any stomach issues. luckily it digested so well I could probably eat it everyday during that time. my biggest issue nowadays is when people keep saying things like how bad an idea vegetarianism is even though I never asked. people can be real fuckers most of the time.

I have been a vegetarian for 8 year, although not a very strict one (for example I'd rather eat the meat forgotten in the fridge that throw it away, cause it feels worse somehow). O'm vegetarian for ethical reason : not liking the way animals are treated. I am not vegan because cheese but I am trying to limitate my animal produce intake, although I'm not very good at it.

Hermit Advocate

MEAT. I understand why some people prefer to go vegetarian though, my sister has been one since she was 1 1/2 years old.

I hate the taste of meat but sometimes I can tolerate chicken and eat it when with my family cause they think it's unhealthy but if I have the choice I tend to not eat it.

Voted "Other" since I am pretty much Carnivorous.

My food sensitivities are ridiculous, besides lactose and gluten, most veggies and fruit don't do well with my system either.... chicken is the only protein I gotta stay away from, so I am probably as carnivorous as they come. Red meat 2-3 times a day! Turkey and rabbit filling the white meat group instead of chicken :P

We house a gluten/lactose sensitive Vegan farm-helper right now. Although, she is the kind of person that is the reason why no one takes vegan/gluten/lactose sensitive people seriously, tells me she is vegan but eats honey, fish and dairy products(when I tell her that makes her vegetarian she vehemently denies it, she only eats that stuff here on the farm, not at home so she is still vegan) and will eat a whole wheat bread with a thick layer of cheese no problem, and then tell me "Oh the food sensitivities are only sometimes" when I point out that was gluten and lactose galore and she should be half dead on the floor......

As a lactose/gluten intolerant person myself, I just want to give her a boot in the arse and tell her to eat properly so she doesn't fall over after carrying 2 pieces of firewood and doesn't have to take a break every 20 mins.

I don't like meat, but I still eat it anyway because that's what my parents put on the table for me. I shouldn't complain too much because they're buying it and cooking it for me and I'm super grateful even though I don't like it. Once I move out though, I'm planning on going on a vegetarian diet. I won't call myself a vegetarian though, because I still like chicken, and some meat if it's done a very specific way, and I don't want people calling me a fake or a liar or a trend follower or anything like that on the rare occasion I do eat meat. And I don't want to restrict myself to make sure I'm true to my word. If I call myself a vegetarian, then I'd never be able to have the meats I do like ever again. I want to be able to order a chicken and mushroom fettuccine without the person I'm with going "But you're a vegetarian! That has chicken in it! You can't eat that!". So I just stick with my "I don't like meat that much" line, and that usually gets my point across without mislabeling myself.

Lotta_Biscotti

I eat meat, but I don't eat a lot of it. Sometimes I'll go a week or more without it, but I do periodically partake. I'm a picky eater and I know I don't get enough protein most of the time. Especially if I feel like crap, I'll both eat some meat and amp up my fresh fruits and veggies, for nutrition purposes. Overall I just try to limit what I eat and how much, and most importantly try to never waste.

I was more or lacto-ovo vegetarian for six years (so no meat, but eggs and dairy were okay). I broke once a year for hotdogs or bacon, but overall, I didn't miss the taste that much once I'd been off it for a while; and eventually, I found it a bit repulsive. However, I did find that-- because I am a picky eater-- I just wasn't eating super healthy. I tried meat replacements like tofu, but nothing really appealed to me, and because I didn't always want to go through the effort it takes to prepare interesting, tasty fruit and veggie meals, I ended up doing too much carbs on the regular.

If you're worried you can't keep it up or won't want to stay on the new diet-- that's okay. Limiting the amount of meat you eat, and monitoring the source of it, does count for something. You may also find it easier to ween off over time, as you get more familiar with a veggie lifestyle, than jumping into it. It's good that you've already have a diet in mind, but try it out for a while and see how practical it is for you. Maybe you'll fall in love with it and never look back.

Protip: find someone reliable who has chickens and treats them well, if you want to change how you get eggs. They're becoming more popular as pets, at least in areas where you're allowed to have them. Chickens can be really cute.

Archived