Everyone else is a closet asexual

McBuh

A few days ago, some friends and I watched the movie "Lost in Translation" about two married people who experience brief love while in Japan for business reasons.

After the movie one friend remarked: "I think it's refreshing that they could make a romance that has absolutely no sex." (At least between the two people involved in the romance.)

I thought about that for a couple of seconds and replied: "I can't remember ever seeing a romance movie in which the two people who fall in love have sex."

Now that I think of it, anytime I can remember sex in a romance movie it has typically been with a former lover that the character escapes from in order to establish a contrast between a sexual relationship and a romantic relationship. All romance movies that I remember seem to intentionally communicate that a sexual relationship is tedious and would best be replaced by a relationship with emotional openness but no sex.

The entire genre seems to be Hollywood's awareness that sex is overrated and not what a good relationship is about at all.

Archived