Has anyone used drugs in an attempt to 'fix' their asexuality?

I've never abused substances before but I'm curious to know if there are any aces who either are aware of their orientation or not have used drugs in an attempt to become sexual?

After my sexuality turned permanently dormant around age 16, I been into surgery and apparently anesthesia awoken my sexuality temporarily, and I was sexually attracted to a nurse after 2 surgeries for a few hours until anesthesia effect went away. So, I can try drugs to awake my sexuality, but seriously, it's not something I miss. If anything, I want my libido to die which is just a reminscent of my former sexuality.

Like illegal? can't say that I have, but I can remember a few times where I tried getting drunk to "loosen up" and it didn't work, if anything I became more self conscious about what I was doing and what other people were doing as well xD I'd say taking drugs wouldn't help me want to have sex xD

One Winged Angel

I have no interest in drugs of any kind.

A commonly asked hypothesis I see is "would you a take a pill that you would make you allosexual?". Whilst there are many different answers for this question, my answer is always the same - absolutely NOT.

People who take medication for ED or similar problems are almost always those desiring sexual activity in the first place. Since I have never felt a desire for sex, I have never missed it, and have never wondered what it would be like. I know that I am not interested and that is that. Therefore the offer of a drug would be a moot point, and a fools errand.

I am concerned about the use of drugs to "fix" problems which are not actual problems. We have all heard of the hideous 'gay cures' and the medicalisation of sexual orientation. To "fix" asexuality would be to say it is not natural, and is thus a state of illness. I do not believe this, and I think the use of drugs to "fix" such things, as well as trying to 'cure' harmless personality quirks, is incredibly dangerous. By medicalising our personalities, orientations and feelings, we run the risk of a witch hunt mentality, where instead of creating witches, we create "patients".

I've relied on alcohol to overcome inhibitions, but that was all before I considered asexuality as the reason I wasn't driven towards sex to begin with. I don't think drugs, recreational or medical, can instill such a fundamental desire that, for asexual, naturally isn't there. For people whose lack of physical sexual desire is impeding their mental/emotional sexual needs, treatment may be an appropriate course of action. If someone wants to use recreational substances to make themselves prepared for sex that's their business, but I don't think it instills in anyone a desire that wasn't already there. Being mentally okay with having sex doesn't equal desire.

Oh I'm well aware that asexuality is not a problem and no drug can give people sexual attraction although they can alter sex drive. I'm just curious if people who don't realise they are ace attempt to change it with drugs. I'd imagine a few think they may have a hormone problem or I've heard doctors suggest that.

When I took codeine after an operation I completely lost my sex drive and attraction for quite a long time but my drive returned later.

God of the Forest

I will say that I have/had low testosterone and thought, irrationally, that my asexuality was a symptom of my low testosterone and took medication to perhaps "fix" that. But if you are referring to illegal/controlled substances, then no.

butterflydreams

Does alcohol count? My mom has told me to "have a drink" to "loosen" me up a number of times. Even before I was of drinking age.

I tried a lot of different things to try to "cure" myself. I was convinced that if I could have sex for long enough, it would eventually start feeling good and my "normal, sexual" side would be "awakened" or something like that.Unfortunately, every time I tried, I'd end up crying or puking or curling up into a panic attack. Instead of deciding that enough was enough like a rational human being, I decided to try some different techniques to avoid those side effects. I tried alcohol, my ex's Xanax, weed, leftover painkillers from when I had my wisdom teeth removed. At one point, I even went so far as to get some kinky bed restraints, hoping if nothing else, I could at least tie myself down to stop myself from moving away from my ex during the panic attacks. Things were really dark for a while.

Needless to say, none of that was effective, and if nothing else, I seriously messed with my head and am even more averse to sexual contact than ever, but I'm also increasingly okay with that (it's a day-to-day process).

Is not that I have used them but that I use them, not exactlly recreational drugs but sport and body building ones. It has worked for me in the sense that now I am sexual, but I didnt started them to fix my asexuality.

It all had big consequences fir my relationship with my girlfriend, I started having sex with other people and we split.

All this lead me to think more about self identity, my ex call me sometimes, she is asexual stil, and she blames me ecause according to her I wasnt a true asexual but somebody with medical issues, lack of enought testosterone, depression, etc.. I tell that maybe she was right, what I did is that I just fixed some medical conditions and the side effect was to discover my sexuality. I dont know. The funny thing is that she was aromantic or almost aromantic and now it changed, the shock of me breaking up and having sex with other people made her to have the need of me being romantic with her, I'm almost sure that he would even accept sex.

I tried a lot of different things to try to "cure" myself. I was convinced that if I could have sex for long enough, it would eventually start feeling good and my "normal, sexual" side would be "awakened" or something like that.Unfortunately, every time I tried, I'd end up crying or puking or curling up into a panic attack. Instead of deciding that enough was enough like a rational human being, I decided to try some different techniques to avoid those side effects. I tried alcohol, my ex's Xanax, weed, leftover painkillers from when I had my wisdom teeth removed. At one point, I even went so far as to get some kinky bed restraints, hoping if nothing else, I could at least tie myself down to stop myself from moving away from my ex during the panic attacks. Things were really dark for a while.

Needless to say, none of that was effective, and if nothing else, I seriously messed with my head and am even more averse to sexual contact than ever, but I'm also increasingly okay with that (it's a day-to-day process).

This is me, totally. Before I knew asexuality was a thing, I thought I had a psychological disorder and tried all manner of drugs and alcohol to cure myself. I had a theory that if I learned to enjoy sex under the influence, maybe I'd eventually get cured.

Now I'm in AA and learning to accept I'm asexual lol.

All my attempts at "fixing" myself left me pretty deeply traumatized.

This is me, totally. Before I knew asexuality was a thing, I thought I had a psychological disorder and tried all manner of drugs and alcohol to cure myself. I had a theory that if I learned to enjoy sex under the influence, maybe I'd eventually get cured.

Now I'm in AA and learning to accept I'm asexual lol.

All my attempts at "fixing" myself left me pretty deeply traumatized.

I'm sorry you experienced this. :( I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I actually knew about asexuality and had identified as such prior to getting in the relationship, but my head just got so messed up. I just really wanted to make my ex happy, and somehow I convinced myself I could only do that by "becoming sexual," even though she tried to tell me otherwise. I don't blame her for that; I never told her how deeply unhappy I was, but I can't help but wonder how she couldn't have known. *sigh* But I'm pretty biased about her. We had so, so many problems, even in addition to the ones in the bedroom.

Anyway, I'm glad you're on a better path now. ^_^ Hope all continues in a positive way for you!

Just want to say something here. Drugs might work to a extent, but only if you have had personal indicators that your sexuality is there or your brain still have it, but it is inactive. The only reason anesthesia worked for me is that I used to be someone with active interest into sex. My sexuality turned dead dormant after anesthesia wears off just like how my sexuality has permanently turned to that since ~16 yrs old.