• 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-90
    • 91-100
    • 100+
    • unsure
    • i don't want to answer
    • i can't answer
  2. 2. when you figured out you were (not sexual, not hetero, not romantic, not cis, not monogamous,intersex, etc) first?

• i'm cisgender, heterosexual, heteroromantic, monogamous and not intersex
    • unsure
    • under my 10's
    • in my 10's
    • in my 20's
    • in my 30's
    • in my 40's
    • in my 50's
    • in my 60's
    • in my 70's
    • in my 80's
    • in my 90's
    • in my 100's+
    • since i was born
    • i haven't figured out things yet
    • i don't care
  3. 3. when you first came out?

• i'm heterosexual, heteroromantic, cisgender, monogamous and not intersex
    • i never had to
    • i haven't came out yet
    • i don't want to come out
    • under my 10's
    • in my 10's
    • in my 20's
    • in my 30's
    • in my 40's
    • in my 50's
    • in my 60's
    • in my 70's
    • in my 80's
    • in my 90's
    • in my 100's+
    • unsure
    • unsure if i wanna come out
    • not sure of seat I am yet

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm 21, I first heard about asexuality when I was 18 and started seriously identifying with the label when I was 19. I came out to some people when I was 19-20.

I'm twenty-six, didn't figure things out until I was around twenty-three (I thought everyone else was just being strange), and I've never bothered to really come out per say. Personal information is something I generally consider on a need-to-know basis, and most people don't need to know. I've done a few things here and there for visibility, but that's it.

cavalier080854

You do realise for us older people (62), that calling people queer is offensive. There was a campaign by the gay/lesbian community in Britain which lasted 10 years to make it so. So by what convoluted thought process made this struggle redundant? I do realise that the term used then had a different usage to as it is used now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
TooYoungToKnow

I'm 16 and figured out that I'm asexual only about a month ago. I'm cis and heteroromantic, and I personally wouldn't reclaim the Q word for myself.

Phantasmal Fingers

I'm 51 and first described myself to an acquaintance as asexual when I was 18/19, but the reaction was entirely negative so I didn't bother doing that again. As an aro-ace I don't really feel the need to tell anyone else but I have told one close friend. As far as I know nobody else has guessed. In modern parlance - wha'ever... ^_^

I don't regard myself as being part of LGBT+. Though I have ace friends who do (and I can see why and don't have a problem with that) I think it's inaccurate and unhelpful to pretend that all of us are a part of a highly sexualised movement which has nothing to do with me as an asexual. Also, I don't really think the term 'coming out' is applicable to me either. It doesn't equate to telling people I'm ace.

The way you've worded the poll I can only answer the first question. So as the poll won't let me just answer one question I don't appear in the poll.

I've posted here though so in a way I'm visible. But then again, in another way I'm invisible... Ring any bells with anyone? ;)

44. 42. 42.

I'm 25. I've known I was romantically/aesthetically attracted to women since an early age, and I'd say I was 14 when I first "fell" for a girl but I literally repressed and denied it and only came out when I was 19 cause it wasn't safe before.

The asexuality realization didn't come until I was 23, though it's definitely something that was always beneath the surface since I'd never understood sexual attraction. I just never knew there was a word for it, and just assumed there was something wrong with me. Oh, the wonders of the internet.

As for the word queer? I always use it, I'm comfortable with it, and I'm fully about reclaiming it, personally. I do respect people who don't want to identify as such, though. But just so you know, it wasn't always a slur, and in the earlier days, LGBT people fought for their rights literally using that word; claiming it as their own. Shouting it at rallies. It was a war-cry for us. Life or death. It was later taken from us again and these days, most consider it a slur. I wish it wasn't. I've had it used against me for most of my life, but I don't want it to bring me down - I want it to lift me up.

• 5 weeks later...

I am turning 60 next week. So many youngsters who already know about themselves! Amazing. It took me until I was in my 40s to realize that I was bi romantic and until last year (and failed relationships) to realize I am ace. So much wasted time.

12 minutes ago, Mocha Jo said:

I am turning 60 next week. So many youngsters who already know about themselves! Amazing. It took me until I was in my 40s to realize that I was bi romantic and until last year (and failed relationships) to realize I am ace. So much wasted time.

Well,  it's never to late to figure things out, even though people still change, maybe you weren't an bi ace before, you just happen to figure out you are one now.

I am currently 24.  I started to figure out my sexuality while in College (so 18-22).  At first I assumes that I as bisexual, since I didn't sexually desire one gender more than the other.  I eventually figured out that it was more like I didn't sexually desire anything at all.  My cousin then introduced me to the term Asexual (She identifies as demisexual)  For awhile I hoped I was demisexual, but after a 3 year relationship with a man I love, I realized that I was closer to panromantic.  (If any guy was going to be the one, it would have been him.)

I mainly started coming out to people this year, though I had attempted to come out to my mom when I was 22-23.  I haven't come out to everyone (Facebook) but I have to the majority of my family members, (will probably talk to the rest of them at Christmas......  sarcastic yeah).

• 1 month later...

25!  I figured things out around 14-15.

I agree with the other posters; don't think I'd use queer for myself.  I don't agree with asexuality fitting into the LBTQ+ movement generally, tbh.  Is it a variant (for lack of a better term) of sexual orientation?  Definitely is.  But I think queer/LBTQ+ generally represents more of a political/social concept, one that asexuality just doesn't fit into.

I'm 18 now but I started questioning my sexual and romantic identity when I was 11 or 12. I suspected I may be asexual for a few months now but I only started identifying as asexual recently when I had sex for the first time.

I suspect the reduced statistics of computer use in current aging populations will effect the outcome of this poll.

And there are also cases like my own grandmother who might be ace, but that sort of conversation and language is so unfamiliar to her that it's very difficult to determine. She might be ace, and she might be aro - or she might just be fiercely socially independent.

On 1.8.2016 at 4:43 PM, UVB-76 said:

I'm 26. I don't want to be that close to 30 :(

What's wrong with 30? D: Personally I feel kind of "younger" now that I'm 30, because now I'm super young for someone in their thirties, while 26 is on the older side for someone in their 20s :lol:

J. van Deijck
51 minutes ago, sindi said:

What's wrong with 30? D: Personally I feel kind of "younger" now that I'm 30, because now I'm super young for someone in their thirties, while 26 is on the older side for someone in their 20s :lol:

:D I like it.

J. van Deijck
26 minutes ago, (Guest) said:

Under 13s aren't allowed on AVEN.

...thankfully I'm almost 27 <_<

Licht_denker47
4 hours ago, Bezzy-Loo said:

I suspect the reduced statistics of computer use in current aging populations will effect the outcome of this poll.

And there are also cases like my own grandmother who might be ace, but that sort of conversation and language is so unfamiliar to her that it's very difficult to determine. She might be ace, and she might be aro - or she might just be fiercely socially independent.

It depends on which computations it the computer does:

As of the average number it will be affected by the first and last numbers.

See:

•In 1,2,1,2,5,22 the average number would be (1+1+2+2+5+22)/n where n is the number of numbers between (_). So .. (1+1+2+....22)/6 is 33/6 [roughly 5.5]

•While the average number of 1,1,2,2,5 would only be 11/5 [2.5].

So yeah the more extreme numbers are between each other the less representative the average number between them will be.

I'm 24. I came out as asexual when I was 19. Figured out I'm not actually asexual when I was 23.

J. van Deijck
2 hours ago, CakeSpadeAce said:

You can't be under 10 here... the age minimum is 13.

I'm 13, by the way.

God... I forgot how it is to be 13, it was 14 years ago :o:lol:

J. van Deijck
9 hours ago, Licht_denker47 said:

I had a feeling that you're a bit older because you appear quite mature to me :o

I'm 117, came out as gray-ace, bisexual, biromantic and autosexual 102 years ago. ^_^

Just now, Assemble said:

I'm 117, came out as gray-ace, bisexual, biromantic and autosexual 102 years ago. ^_^

117?  what a mummy lol

3 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

117?  what a mummy lol

Cute.

Archived