Should I get an 'Ace ring'?

Aceofspades123

Aceofspades123

I kind of like the concept of an ace ring but, would anyone recognise it and what it stands for?

Honestly, it's probably unlikely that people will recognize a black ring as an ace ring, or even notice it at all. I have a homemade black ring that I've been wearing on/off for about 2 years, and only one person has ever asked me about it (the person in question was another asexual who recognized the symbol).

I still only wear my ring in places or situations where I'd be comfortable talking about asexuality if asked about it just to be safe, but I don't wear my ring with the intention of other people recognizing it. Mostly I just wear it as a personal reminder that I'm not alone, and that I'm a part of this wonderful community. My advice would be to wear a black ring if you think if will be helpful or meaningful to you personally, but don't be disappointed if nobody else notices it. :cake:

I saw someone wearing one in a youtube video once. :D
Even if you don't always see people with them, or get your own noticed, I think it feels good having one. It makes it feel like you're part of something, you're not alone and you're proud.

I've worn one for a while, but no one has ever noticed it.
Fairly recently, a guy in a coffee shop noticed my asexual flag badge and identified himself as a fellow ace.
I laughing mentioned that I wear the black ring too and he said that he'd never heard of them.

One Winged Angel

Most people outside of the immediate community would not know the significance of the ring. A black ring is fairly inconspicuous and many people would not comment on it, even if they saw. That said, it could be seen as something that those 'in the know' would understand, and could be a gateway to talking about Asexuality if it were to ever be mentioned.

If wearing the ring makes you feel good though, I would highly recommend it.

Yeah, there's no way people will recognize it. That's the main reason I wear mine like other people already said, it's an inconspicuous symbol that only fellow aces (probably but not necessarily) would know. The exact same thing applies to ace flag things, too.

As others said, if you mean people outside the community, they probably won't notice it. If you want to be noticed by asexuals, it may or may not work. I have noticed some people with black rings, but I'm always too shy to talk to them. :) But the more we use rings, the more likely it is that it will become a known symbol!

I've been wearing a "black" (more like dark metal-ish grey) for years, and no one has mentioned it. Maybe someone has recognized it as an ace ring, but since no one has said anything I will take it as "no one".

The only person that has noticed my ring did it because it was (still is) made out of hematite, "That is good", she said. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Stealthy Potato

I have an ace ring and nobody outside the community seems to recognise it. I wear it for myself though, just a reminder that I'm really not so alone.

If you meet another ace, they will mostly likely know what it means if you have a black ring. Or, you can have it for yourself and keep that as a reminder to yourself (or a motivation).

I want an ace ring as well, but it's hard to FIND one though that isn't overly expensive and is just plain black!

So, you should get one if you really want one.