Clay Aiken?

feef

Fans Want To Sue Clay Aiken For Being 'Virginal, Asexual Character'"

laugh.gif Again, not much to do with us, but it make me giggle. I love my google news thing that picks this crap up.

On the topic of the actual article, since when can you sue somebody for... what? What did he do again? I have no clue. People are ridiculous.

2014 Mod Edit - For future reference:

Fans Want To Sue Clay Aiken For Being 'Virginal, Asexual Character'
February 20th, 2006 9:48am EST

p41607e607k.jpg

Nine fans of Americal Idol star Clay Aiken are considering launching a class action lawsuit against the singer and his record company bosses following tabloid allegations he's gay. The unnamed fans were shocked by recent unconfirmed claims from a retired soldier that he enjoyed a gay romp with the singer in a hotel room.(see: "Former Lover Wants Clay Aiken To Admit He's Gay")

In the absence of a firm denial from Aiken, the upset devotees are deliberating filing a class-action lawsuit and a possible Fair Trade Commission complaint against the recording and promotional entities behind Aiken - after finding a lawyer who will take their case.

The fans are taking great care to protect their identities because they're already received serious threats from other Aiken fans.

One of the distressed fans, who is leading the class action charge, says, "Because of the threats that have risen out of this, we are being very careful with what information we reveal, as we settle everything and first make arrangements for the safety of ourselves and our families."

She adds, "The individuals behind the lawsuit are nine former fans. We are all different ages and backgrounds. We are accusing (record labels) RCA and Sony BMG of having a vested interest in the marketing and promotion of Clay Aiken as a virginal, asexual character. The recent media about Clay has shown this to, apparently, be a lie, and that image (was) only designed to enrich the record company at the expense of consumers. We think that is false advertising. So, through our complaints, we would hope to force the record companies to admit their culpability in this manner and give refunds to anyone who bought into the Clay Aiken myth... As former fans, we just feel ripped off and hurt. We believe that this was absolutely fraudulent and that we may have actionable recourse against the record company."

....FANS want to sue him for being like that? What? How can they call themselves fans? Or are they fans of something else, like American Idol? *confused*

Hehe.. that's still amusing, though. I've always gotten a peculiar vibe watching Aiken do public appearances, but never pegged it as asexual.

This completely boggles my mind.

WHY does it matter to Clay Aiken's fans whether he is gay, straight, asexual, bisexual, a former dentist, a half-Scandinavian, a member of the Communist Party, or anything about him other than the quality and likability of the music he makes?

We are accusing (record labels) RCA and Sony BMG of having a vested interest in the marketing and promotion of Clay Aiken as a virginal, asexual character. The recent media about Clay has shown this to, apparently, be a lie, and that image (was) only designed to enrich the record company at the expense of consumers. We think that is false advertising.

So what freaking else is new?

I think they should be happy that they lied about him being virginal and pure instead of a total sex fiend. That looks like a change for the better, really.

- Alan

If he was invisible, he'd watch you in your room?

Doesn't sound so asexual to me...

...yes, I have a younger sister... 8)

Suing a man because you were led to believe that he wasn't having sex, in a society where it is generally assumed that if you're physically capable of sex then you're doing it? What a funny reversal, if only we had such problems! lol

Reminds me of Britney Speares really. They're just trying to find the secrets, that everyone is skanky. But they try to appeal to the public as "wholesome" ... by lying. Tsk tsk. But wait! Who cares? You don't have to know these people or what they are really like anyway, and chances are, you're not gonna. Why? Because they are big phonies whether they hide behind an "innocent" mask or not. And most importantly, they have no talent! At least if they do, they're not going to be showing you any, because they just want to be an image anyway, hence the term "American Idol". Ain't no talent in that.

• 1 year later...
preciousillusions

The gossip blogs are all over this one:

He does not plan on dating, and he is not involved with anyone. “Heck, no,” he says. “My dogs.” He has never had a romantic relationship with anyone, unless you count the girls he took to dances back in high school in Raleigh. “I just don’t have an interest in … any of that at all. I have got too much on my plate,” he says. “I’d rather focus on one thing and do that when I can devote time to it, and right now, I just don’t have any desire.”

But Aiken is 29 years old and he is also a human. Surely he must have needs. Urges. He contemplates this in silence for 20 or 30 seconds. “Ah think maybe I don’t! I mean, not really. I’ve just kind of shut it off, maybe. Is that bad?”

Source: New York Magazine

Wow, that sounds, if not asexual, then definitely aromantic.

A complete waste of the court's time.

mmm...the sources I can find about this are all real classy....

Rather than admitting the obvious, Spamalot actor Clay Aiken is knee-deep in denial and is now trying to convince the world he is asexual. Creepy.

In an interview with New York magazine, Aiken says that he has simply "shut off" his sex drive.

"I just don't have an interest in … any of that at all. I have got too much on my plate," he says. "I'd rather focus on one thing and do that when I can devote time to it, and right now, I just don't have any desire."

The article cites that Aiken does not plan on dating and has "…never had a romantic relationship with anyone, unless you count the girls he took to dances back in high school in Raleigh."

http://beat.bodoglife.com/entertainment/cl...xual-51966.html

preciousillusions

The gossip blogs (Perez Hilton, ONTD, etc.), are full of ignorant people commenting about what a freak he is - be it because he hates bars, doesn't have sex, or is a closeted homosexual (according to them).

I have to confess that I got sucked into American Idol during the last six or so episodes of Clay's season and really kind of gravitated towards him - one, because I love his voice, and two, because he seemed like an awkward geek. I related to that. I found out soon after that he had an absentee biological father that he called the Sperm Donor. I relate to that as well.

For the past five years I've watched this guy not comment on his sexuality and I've watched the public point and laugh and say "YOU MUST BE GAY. COME OUT OF THE CLOSET!" Now he does this interview where he says he doesn't date, doesn't want to date, and people label it as asexual, and they're still pointing and laughing.

It makes me sad.

May I suggest AVEN attempt to contact Mr. Aiken himself & find out???

I wish that those folks would just leave the poor guy alone! Even in the public eye as he is, he deserves to have a private life.

That's right, Mackat. But I still think maybe we could try & get in touch with him, in a polite way, & introduce ourselves & etc.

Any ideas, people?

I don't know if it would help, but it couldn't hurt.

The problem is that he, no doubt, receives tons of mail and what he would probably REALLY like is some privacy.

Perhaps just an encouraging card or letter, thanking him for being brave enough to stand his ground with the media, and telling him that there is at least one group of several thousand people who don't think that he is weird or crazy for not wanting to indiscriminately bed everything in sight.

The last time I watched American Idol was when he was on, and I really wanted him to win. I still think it was rigged.

-GB

Rather than admitting the obvious, Spamalot actor Clay Aiken is knee-deep in denial and is now trying to convince the world he is asexual. Creepy.

So... I don't get why anyone would say someone is creepy because they are asexual. Apparently we're all creeps because we don't find ourselves lusting after anyone's body... interesting.

preciousillusions
So... I don't get why anyone would say someone is creepy because they are asexual. Apparently we're all creeps because we don't find ourselves lusting after anyone's body... interesting.

Haven't you heard? Anyone who doesn't subscribe to the norms of society is obviously creepy. :roll:

Other signs that Clay Aiken is a creep: he subscribes to the notion that bars are places to drink and pick up people to have sex, and it's his version of hell.

God, the "norm" aggravates me!

"Creeps" of the world, unite!

"He subscribes to the notion that bars are places to drink and pick up people to have sex, and it's his version of hell." Yeah, but you can also have a few beers after working all day.

Bearing in mind that I'd never heard of Clay Aiken until this thread was started can someone explain why, exactly, he is being sued?

As I understand it the story is this:

Aiken is a contestant on TV talent show American Idol. He wins.

Record company promote him as virginal/inexperienced/sweet and innocent or whatever.

People now think he's gay (or at least I assume that's what they mean by "rather than admitting the obvious")

Now "fans" are suing him for not being virginal/inexperienced etc.?

Its the last bit I don't get. How can you sue for someone not living up to their image? And where is the evidence that he isn't virginal/inexperienced etc. even if he is a closeted gay man rather than an asexual one?

As I have said before, this is a waste of the court's valuable time. This is why the legal system is all backed up. Too many stupid and useless cases before the judge. Those so-called fans ought to be sued for clogging up the system and slowing down justice in general.

Bearing in mind that I'd never heard of Clay Aiken until this thread was started can someone explain why, exactly, he is being sued?

As I understand it the story is this:

Aiken is a contestant on TV talent show American Idol. He wins.

Record company promote him as virginal/inexperienced/sweet and innocent or whatever.

People now think he's gay (or at least I assume that's what they mean by "rather than admitting the obvious")

Its the last bit I don't get. How can you sue for someone not living up to their image? And where is the evidence that he isn't virginal/inexperienced etc. even if he is a closeted gay man rather than an asexual one?

I've heard of him and don't even know what's going on. :lol: The whole idea seems rather sillah to me.

I think we all should just leave him alone, let him live his life however he wants to. :?

preciousillusions

I guess I should point out that I resurrected a thread that's a couple of years old now, mainly because the title was only Clay's name so I thought it was related. I doubt the lawsuit is still happening, and besides, they have no grounds now more than ever if people are calling the guy asexual.

Bearing in mind that I'd never heard of Clay Aiken until this thread was started

Me neither...no clue who he is.

Oh good grief that's like suing Paris Hilton for not having a brain...

How idiotic can some people really be??

Oh good grief that's like suing Paris Hilton for not having a brain...

This comment made me spit coffee through my nose !! :lol:

Ow. *eyes water*

-GB

CrazyCatLover

It made my roommate come to find out what was wrong... (I was laughing, not crying)

Oh we're being taken to court over not having sex now? That makes absolutely no sense in any dimension.

I feel bad for Clay...seriously people need to leave him alone over his sexuality. I think he sounds pretty asexual, (and if he is I'm psyched to share a sexuality with him, I dig his music. xD), but why should the fans care?

"Oh good grief that's like suing Paris Hilton for not having a brain..."

Ausgal...I'm not even gonna make you pay for a new keyboard if mine breaks from the soda I just spit because that comment was epic win. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
BleedingThrough

That's really stupid. Who cares what peoples orientations are! You should like them for their talents, etc. :angry:

Archived