Romantic Orientation

tali.lynn

Romantic Orientation  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is your romantic orientation? (Please only ace/grey/demisexual folks! If you are grey or demiromantic choose the best fit.)

• Heteroromantic
    • Homoromantic
    • Biromantic
    • Panromantic
    • Aromantic
    • Other (min/fin/etc)
    • Unsure/questioning

This poll is closed to new votes

I want to get an idea of the makeup of romantic orientations within the asexual community. If you are grey or demiromantic please just put your closest answer. Feel free to elaborate too!

WinterWanderer

I'm gray-romantic but I chose aro instead of heteroromantic, as that is the best fit. I have crushes, but no desire for a romantic relationship. Once a relationship reaches something beyond the level of close friends, I just don't feel it anymore - even if I really like the person. Romantic gestures are uncomfortable and I just don't really... "get" romance in general.

I consider myself aromantic even though I'm capable of developing strong feelings for other people. They just aren't magical feelings, and I have no desire to partner up with someone and share a life.

Queen of Wonderland

I'm not sure if I voted quite correctly; I'm lithromantic, which I know is on the aro spectrum, but I put other.

I'm not sure if I voted quite correctly; I'm lithromantic, which I know is on the aro spectrum, but I put other.

That's fine! It's whatever seems right to you. I know there are many orientations I didn't include but I wanted to get an idea in particular of what portion of the community is heteroromantic, and where those who are not heteroromantic fall. Because it's a big argument of LGBT+ gatekeepers on the internet that many aces are actually straight, so I wanted to see how true that is. As I expected the majority are bi/pan and aro but I know there are more heteroromantics than this (0) so I wonder where they are, haha. Also there are more questioning individuals than I realized!

I'm gray-romantic but I chose aro instead of heteroromantic, as that is the best fit. I have crushes, but no desire for a romantic relationship. Once a relationship reaches something beyond the level of close friends, I just don't feel it anymore - even if I really like the person. Romantic gestures are uncomfortable and I just don't really... "get" romance in general.

This sounds a lot like me except I consider myself grey-homoromantic. I choose aro for the same reasons.

Panromantic here, and nothing grey about it! I used to be hetero-romantic, but about two and a half years ago, my orientation changed, and now it's just super fluid, much like my gender.

Frigid Pink

I use "hetero-demi-romantic" on AVEN and with the ace community. Outside AVEN and the ace community, I use descriptions instead of labels, so, I'd simply state "it takes me awhile to develop romantic feelings for someone and historically that hasn't happened until I've developed an emotional connection or bond with someone first."

Grumpy Alien

Just heteromantic. Nothing fancy.

Aromantic

I'm going to go with bi-romantic...but fact is I've never been in a relationship of any type.

cavalier080854

Sorry, yet another census I have failed to answer. I cannot understand what any of the question terms mean, even when googled. I've never been romantic or in love in 61 years, so, no frame of reference. I'm dictionary definition Asexual.

Sorry, yet another census I have failed to answer. I cannot understand what any of the question terms mean, even when googled. I've never been romantic or in love in 61 years, so, no frame of reference. I'm dictionary definition Asexual.

Uh, I'm sorry. I guess I thought they were self explanatory. It's just who you are attracted to romantically (hetero = opposite gender, homo = same gender, bi/pan = multiple genders, a = don't experience romantic attraction).

SpeedinThroughSpace

Voted unsure. I was in a relationship once, but I'm unable to pin down the difference between best friend and significant other in terms of emotional closeness and such. I make close and emotionally intimate bonds with friends, but I never had a crush, I have no interest in finding a partner/being in a relationship, and can't see myself being happy in what is commonly seen as a romantic relationship; it seems too constricting to me. I don't really identify with romantic people's statements and experiences, I feel much closer to what arospec people describe, but I have been in love, even if I can't classify it (don't really think that's useful anyway, I think the feelings you have for someone are unique to that particular person), so I use the grey-aro label for now, but to be honest I'm just really confused. Quite frequently, I think just identifying as aro would describe me best, but I don't want to disregard this one experience from my past and I don't want to limit myself into thinking I'll never fall in love in the future. I can't imagine it right now, but maybe I'll change my mind? :unsure:

WhenSummersGone

Heteroromantic. Sometimes I wish I could be Panromantic though.

Squirrel Combat

Heteroromantic. I like girls, plain and simple; I just don't want to bone them.

• 1 year later...

@tali.lynn

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived