August Visibility Craft-along

crafts_not_coitus

crafts_not_coitus

Since there seems to be renewed interest in an ace pride craft-along, let's try one for August!!! We got a lot of great handmade items from June's craft-along!

Here's how it works:

Everybody who participates either makes, starts, or continues an Ace visibility craft of their choosing. The craft could be ANYTHING, as long as it's Ace-related and something that other people will see. Just make something Ace that doesn't currently exist, but could exist by applying your creativity to some supplies.

The deadline is based on however you work best as an individual. If you work best with a deadline, consider it the end of the month. If you work best with a free-spirited approach, or are planning a bigger project, then by all means, let the project dictate its own finish date; simply ignore the deadline and carry it over into the next month, or the month after that, however long it takes!

The important part is that we are creating together, in a low-pressure, self-guided way that suits each of us best as individuals. (And also that we are creating nifty handmade Ace pride things!)

We can discuss our projects, share pics in progress, and when finished, we can proudly wear, display, or share our new Ace visibility items!

Who's in?

Frigid Pink

I actually just painted a still life of a purple cake to display on the table at monthly ace meet-ups! :cake:

crafts_not_coitus

Well, it's August 1. Is anybody interested, or will we be abandoning this thread?

No, no! Please don't abandon this thread. After all, we still have 30 more days to go.

Like Gentle Giant, I have some ideas. I feel spoiled for (possibly even overwhelmed by) choice over what to tackle first, though!

crafts_not_coitus

OK! Sticking with it, then! :-)

I'm glad there's interest. I'll be making progress on an Ace Flag colors giant Granny Square bedspread/blanket I started crocheting back in June. It's either going to drape over the back of the couch or be on the guest bed, depending on how big it turns out. It's long, slow, tedious work, so I'm glad there'll be a craft-along for motivation.

KokoroDragon

I'd be interested! I just need to get some yarn...in the mean time I'll do something with beads. :) I already made a pair of earrings a few months ago, but I was thinking of using those melty plastic bead things to make an ace button to put on my bookbag. This looks like the perfect opportunity!

Gentle Giant

KokoroDragon, welcome! :cake: :) Please show us your earrings you made a few months ago.

I ordered my supplies. Looking forward to getting my project going.

KokoroDragon

Thank you!

I also just finished the pin last night.

Getting images on here isn't working for me (I'm not technologically inclined), so here's a link: http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u496/KokoroDragon-/WIN_20160805_105103%202_zpsptlgigxy.jpg

I'd like to make a pair of earrings with actual beads at some point, but I don't have the supplies. The plus side of these is that they are super lightweight, so I will sometimes forget I even have them on!

crafts_not_coitus

Yeah, super cool!!!

Update on throw-blanket: Done with the white and grey, working on the purple. Still need to acquire black yarn and then it'll be complete. Said I was going to post a picture when I'd finished with the grey but because I forgot, I will once I finish with the purple since it'll be a little while before I get the other yarn. :p

There are more colours in these thrummed slippers than there are in the Ace flag, but the colour scheme I used was definitely inspired by the flag's colours.

Thrummed%20slippers%202_zpstmeq4uu3.jpg

Thrummed%20slippers%203_zps8bet5pvh.png

Roll on winter, because this is what they look like on the inside!

Thrummed%20slippers%201_zpsow6ifhvw.jpg

Gentle Giant

Here is the necklace I created. I'm thinking of making another one longer and probably a different bead pattern. I'm going to make a ring using beads too.

e8fbf51e-7152-4967-b32e-6aafac6b2deb_zps

Both of those look great you two!

I wanted to make a ring with beads at one point.. but for some reason couldn't find anything to teach me. All I ever found were things that said they were for beginners but either they weren't detailed enough or didn't give a step by step process of how to do things. Or did but it was sporadic and I easily got lost. I don't really have the correct beads or needles for doing that sort of thing though. Mostly just have regular thread and sewing needles, but I figured for learning it'd be alright.

So far the only thing I'm pretty sure of is it's probably something similar to how you would make beaded keychains... I've done before.

sewinglephant1

really want to make a piece of discreet ace visibility/awareness but not sure what, any suggestions? Really like the idea of a craft-along.

Also not completely ace-related, but been crocheting a granny-square blanket lately (finally finished the 126 squares!) and although it's not ace related there are a couple of squares in the piece particularly that are ace-flag coloured and all the flag colours are spread across the blanket.

sewinglephant1

really want to make a piece of discreet ace visibility/awareness but not sure what, any suggestions? Really like the idea of a craft-along.

Also not completely ace-related, but been crocheting a granny-square blanket lately (finally finished the 126 squares!) and although it's not ace related there are a couple of squares in the piece particularly that are ace-flag coloured and all the flag colours are spread across the blanket.

Gentle Giant

Here is the second necklace which is longer than the first one and has a different bead pattern. I also made a ring.

be676b69-3104-438c-9e02-05c97a2178bf_zps

Gentle Giant

Welcome, Sewinglephant1! :cake: :) You could make a necklace like I did. It's pretty discreet.

ClockworkChemistry

http://i.imgur.com/4IduKNM.jpgI've been working on these beenies since the beginning of august. i want to make a few more but i figured id go ahead and show what ive done so far. they fit really well actually. very happy with them :)

Here's what I have done so far for my throw-blanket. Unsure why the grey showed up as black and the purple as a really dark purple, but I suppose darker purple in pictures is better than a shade of indigo that was closer to blue. Which is what it had done with the flash turned on.

20160821_005355_zpsjb5zomce.jpg

@ClockworkChemistry

I really like those! I plan on eventually making a hat in the ace colors as well.

@Gentle Giant

I finally found a good step-by step tutorial for how to make beaded rings so I made one a few weeks ago. Would have posted a picture of it, but a cat decided it would be a fun play toy and caused it to seemingly disappear. :p So I eventually I guess I'll just make another one.

@sewinglephant1

You could crochet a scarf with the colors or maybe even socks? Or like ClockworkChemistry did with hats? There's quite a lot of different ways you can with it being more 'discreet'. It's easy to just say if someone asked about the items that you just liked the colors together or that you just had things laying around and they "just happened" to be in the ace colors.

Good luck!

Quoth the Raven: I love the blanket!

Sewinglephant1: Somehow I'd missed out on the whole friendship bracelet thing as a kid, but I was so inspired by Crafts-not-Coitus's pattern (which is in the previous craft thread), that I've had a go making my own. I've been wearing mine a lot. Nobody has noticed...or if they have, they haven't commented.

Miss Anne Thrope

Hi! I happened to make an ace pride pin for my backpack recently, and I thought I'd share. I used pan colours for the A because I'm panromantic:

tumblr_ochvhrmTuB1ug0ts1o1_1280.jpg

Gentle Giant

I was thinking of painting an old button in ace colors too! Will watch out for one around here, then will have to find some suitable paint.

I've been experimenting. Here are two cowls I've knitted.

I'm quite pleased with the Fair Isle pattern I came up with, at least as a first attempt. I put in the extra black lines between the spades because I thought there might not be enough black in the pattern otherwise. However, I've since knitted a very small sample without the extra black, and I think I prefer it. What I was going for here was something with an ace motif on it, but which would be subtle / less likely to be noticeable when worn--which no doubt defeats the object of visibility, but, hey...

Overall, I think that they're okay, but I hope I will be able to improve on the patterns another time.

DSC02825_cowls_zpsjkj7izr1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update about the project I had been working on. Know it's not August anymore but still.

I have yet to get black yarn to make the last 15 row 'block' for the throw blanket I've been working on. But I plan on getting some soon and then doing that eventually, and then perhaps adding a pretty big border to make the blanket larger. Think doing the border in black would be alright unless I find some thread that perhaps has all four colors in it? So far I haven't found any like that but have found one that's a black/purple obre. It's a little expensive and I'm unsure how many skeins I'd need for it. :blink: So we'll see.

Archived