Crayon lipstick!

Queen of Wonderland

Queen of Wonderland

Hello AVEN, this is only like my third thread I've ever started on the forums, but I'm pretty excited so here goes. I love lipstick. I wear it as often as I can, and I love the pretty bright colors and the way they make my lips look. (Also, red lipstick makes me feel kinda powerful, I don't know about anyone else :P). So I've been meaning to try making lipstick out of crayons! If you've never heard of this, its a great idea for making bright vibrant lipstick colors out of crayola crayons, because they are rigorously checked to make sure they're non toxic, because of course kids will eat them, and also because they make really nice bright pretty colors. While you can't wear this stuff every day, you can wear it often. I already have loads of crayons, plus the other ingredients I need for this, and little plastic pots that are the perfect size for this. Seriously, its scary. So, I started this thread because I'd love to know if anyone else on here has tried this, or anything like this? How did it turn out? Was it good, bad, pretty, ugly, any tips for me, one lipstick enthusiast to another?

Grumpy Alien

That's interesting... How does that work? I mean they're wax so how do you get it more lipsticky? I love makeup so this is intriguing though admittedly very strange to me.

Queen of Wonderland

That's interesting... How does that work? I mean they're wax so how do you get it more lipsticky? I love makeup so this is intriguing though admittedly very strange to me.

You mix it with some kind of oil, like vegetable oil or coconut oil! That's another reason why people use crayola as well, because cheaper crayons make icky waxy lipstick. People also tend to add food grade essential oils to make it smell less like crayons XD

Grumpy Alien

You mix it with some kind of oil, like vegetable oil or coconut oil! That's another reason why people use crayola as well, because cheaper crayons make icky waxy lipstick. People also tend to add food grade essential oils to make it smell less like crayons XD

Interesting... well I'm curious to see how it turns out if/when you do this.

Queen of Wonderland

There's no if Grace, I am locked and loaded. Lol, but in all seriousness, I do plan on sharing pics when I have it done.

Interesting... well I'm curious to see how it turns out if/when you do this.

I'm also a lipstick enthusiast, but I mostly buy my lipsticks, but this seems like a great thing to do to save some money (lipsticks can be sooo expensive)

I'll totally try it! ^^

Queen of Wonderland

I'm also a lipstick enthusiast, but I mostly buy my lipsticks, but this seems like a great thing to do to save some money (lipsticks can be sooo expensive)

I'll totally try it! ^^

Sweet! You should post some pictures on here, I'd love to compare results :P

DragonflytotheMoon

Hi, Queen. I've never tried it or even heard of it. It sounds intriguing. I'm more au naturale. I don't wear makeup at home, unless, I had been out earlier. When I go out, I do wear a little lipstick, but, more so, mascara. My eyelashes are rather short & the bottom ones more pale. I get compliments on my eyes & do wear a bit of mascara to bring them out. If you get proficient with the crayon lipstick & decide to sell, I'd be interested in purchasing some.

Considering how much testing cosmetics have to go through before being considered safe to use on the skin, especially the face, that crayons have not - I'm not surprised at the factt hat this is not recommended. And whilst the crayons are non-toxic because children chew on them that doesn't mean that we should encourage the child's new food source. Honestly crayons do not go through as rigorous testing as make up products need to and you'd need to be careful of reactions either from the get go or through constant use (blocking the skin more than make up should, clogging up with the crayon's waxiness - those are just top of head thoughts).

SorryNotSorry

One thing I always wanted to ask avid lipstick wearers: would you ever considered getting your lips permanently tattooed a color you like? There are salons that will do this, but I heard it's around $500 to have it done.

Grumpy Alien

One thing I always wanted to ask avid lipstick wearers: would you ever considered getting your lips permanently tattooed a color you like? There are salons that will do this, but I heard it's around $500 to have it done.

No way! I love makeup and I love tattoos but getting makeup tattooed on is not something I would ever consider. It's usually creepy looking and what fun is it to always have the same look? I like changing everything from lipstick color to eyebrow shape.

Queen of Wonderland

Considering how much testing cosmetics have to go through before being considered safe to use on the skin, especially the face, that crayons have not - I'm not surprised at the factt hat this is not recommended. And whilst the crayons are non-toxic because children chew on them that doesn't mean that we should encourage the child's new food source. Honestly crayons do not go through as rigorous testing as make up products need to and you'd need to be careful of reactions either from the get go or through constant use (blocking the skin more than make up should, clogging up with the crayon's waxiness - those are just top of head thoughts).

The recipe I got this from looked in to this, and the creator of the project found out that the lead content in the crayons, while a bit higher than the recommended from lipstick, can't lastingly harm you as an adult. Even so, you're still not supposed to wear it every day (which I don't plan on doing).

Anyways, I tried the project, and I made really pretty blue-turquiosey lipstick! It went on really well, and it felt as nice as most lipsticks I've worn do when I was wearing it. The only downside was that it got a bit blotchy by the end of the day, which I'm going to try and remedy by adding more olive oil when I make my next batch. Hmm... green, purple, or orange?

ChillaKilla

I've never tried crayon lipstick, as stuff on my lips is a sensory no-no. However, against my better judgment (as usual), I've actually tried the colored pencil eyeliner. You heat up water and leave the pencils in for 10 minutes, and just draw it. I made rainbow eyeliner :D I wouldn't do it often, as the pointy tips of the pencil could potentially irritate one's eyes, but for a pride parade? Sure.

Archived