Master Trump Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just helping chime in, here, doing my Admod duty as the cover Admod for the PPS forum of helping make sure members' discussions remain fair and respectful for everyone.

As the TOS and PPS forum rules' threads mention, please, remember that members are allowed to disagree, respectfully, without getting into personal, negative judgments or insults about other members.

If it helps, they have some tips and/or advice on how to disagree with other members, respectfully.

Thank you!

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the PPS forum)

6 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

So it seems like his State of the Union was pretty well received.

By some Republicans.  I haven't read of anyone else who thought so.

• Like 1
Knight of Cydonia
10 hours ago, Sally said:

By some Republicans.  I haven't read of anyone else who thought so.

According to this CBS poll of those that watched the address, 75% approved and 25% disproved.

42% of all watchers identified as Republican; the other 58% were either Democrat or Independent. It was by no means just "some Republicans" that approved of his speech.

2 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

According to this CBS poll of those that watched the address, 75% approved and 25% disproved.

42% of all watchers identified as Republican; the other 58% were either Democrat or Independent. It was by no means just "some Republicans" that approved of his speech.

However according to another poll, this was the lowest net positive rating of the state of the union address

• Like 1
Knight of Cydonia
1 hour ago, iff said:

However according to another poll, this was the lowest net positive rating of the state of the union address

The address was still overall well received, with a net 70% positive rating in that poll. And my whole point was that it's incorrect to say just "some Republicans" viewed it positively.

Also even though 70% is the lowest, it's only 3 points behind the next lowest - Obama's last State of Union. Not quite as terrible as some of the media would make you believe.

The CNN poll lists (accurately) Bush in his final year as 41%. At least Trump has him beat. :) It also says Obama and Trump are tied for first years.

4 minutes ago, Nevyn said:

The CNN poll lists (accurately) Bush in his final year as 41%. At least Trump has him beat. :) It also says Obama and Trump are tied for first years.

But for Obama, while very positive is the same, somewhat positive in the CNN poll is 8% higher than trump.

George w bush is at 41% very positive but somewhat positive was 37% so positive rating is 78% compared to 70% positive rating in cnn for trump speech

• Like 1

IMO it's ridiculous that people are arguing over poll numbers. If I had to put up an "urgent issue top 10", poll numbers would hold about position #238.

• Like 1

We can talk about the House Intelligence memo. From the way the FBI is acting there may be something there. Is an attempted political coup illegal?

Another salvo in the Republican war against the FBI and Justice Department to try to discredit what may be coming up for the Trump administration and its allies in Congress?

• Like 1

Time will tell if Mueller has anything. In the meantime there’s plenty thats happened at the FBI over the last two years that bears looking into. Like the failure to investigate one presidential candidate and secretary of state in the middle of three separate scandals and instead burying some 50,000 emails of their own and paying for a foreign dossier on the other leading candidate. 

I’m of the position that everything needs looked into. If releasing tapes brought down Nixon and kicked off Watergate then why are the modern equivalent ie: emails being ignored?

1 hour ago, Nevyn said:

We can talk about the House Intelligence memo. From the way the FBI is acting there may be something there. Is an attempted political coup illegal?

How can you talk about it until it's published?  

The same way people talk about an investigation that isn’t complete yet. I move my mouth and things just fall out. 

34 minutes ago, Nevyn said:

The same way people talk about an investigation that isn’t complete yet. I move my mouth and things just fall out. 

Not really.  An incomplete investigation probably has been explained as far as what it entails, etc.   But if a piece of writing has not been released, there's no way to talk about what it says.  

We can only see what Mueller has done so far, which is not the same as knowing how the investigation is going. He’s spending all his time going after small potatoes because that’s presumably what he’s found so far. 

The memo is kind of the same. We have no real idea whats in it. The members of the House pushing to release it sure think it’s something. The other members pushing to keep it private must think so too. 

9 minutes ago, Nevyn said:

He’s spending all his time going after small potatoes because that’s presumably what he’s found so far. 

Actually, we don't know that.

• Like 1

He brought charges against some pretty low people on the totem pole. So we do in fact know thats what he’s found so far. He may be building a larger case because generally you do that by leveraging charges against the people who can get you what you want. As I’ve said, time will tell. One investigation is no reason to not pursue or begin others. 

6 hours ago, Nevyn said:

We can only see what Mueller has done so far, which is not the same as knowing how the investigation is going. He’s spending all his time going after small potatoes because that’s presumably what he’s found so far. 

The memo is kind of the same. We have no real idea whats in it. The members of the House pushing to release it sure think it’s something. The other members pushing to keep it private must tk so too. 

We can't see what Mueller has done, either.  We can only see who his team has interviewed.  And Flynn and other Trump associates are not "small potatoes". 

The Dems are not pushing to keep it private; they are pushing to also release the Dems' response to it, since it was written by Nunes, who has been working directly with the President.   

• Like 2

If there’s two memos then release them both and then investigate everything.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

March has been declared to be Irish American Heritage Month every year for the past 17 years, including Trump's first year.

Trump was going to name Brian Burns to the position last June, but Burns withdrew due to poor health.

Obama failed to appoint an Ambassador to Ireland for almost two years.  Daniel Rooney left office on December 14, 2012, and Kevin O'Malley wasn't appointed until September 8th, 2014.

So really, this is just another desperate, wild shot at Trump with absolutely no merit, which is funny considering how much legitimate criticism there is to make against him, like how he recently supported confiscating guns from dangerous people without due process.

The due process consists of those people being declared dangerous because of valid reports of mental instability.  

• Like 1

this article is an interesting read

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/weeks-before-blockade-qatar-denied-money-to-kushners-firm.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s3&utm_campaign=sharebutton-t

it is on conflict of interest for Jared Kushner, according to this, prior to the Saudi Arabian blockade of Qatar in april 2018, Qatar had turned down a prospectus for investment in a troubled property that he had originally invested $500million of his family fortune and borrowed $1.3billion in borrowed funds to pay for in 2007.

this is apparently all being investigated by mueller

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So tillerson said that the poisoning was definitely Russia and there would be consequences for it.

It seems the consequences were for tillerson saying that Russia was behind it.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, iff said:

So tillerson said that the poisoning was definitely Russia and there would be consequences for it.

It seems the consequences were for tillerson saying that Russia was behind it.

The consequences were Tillerson is fired?

12 minutes ago, daveb said:

The consequences were Tillerson is fired?

Yes.

I did think when I heard tillerson's remarks this morning, it would not be too long until he was fired

It also doesn't really help trump refute claims of Russian collusion when he fires secretary of state after making that statement.

I hope tillerson has Mueller's number.

It also hurts UK relations with the us. 

• Like 1