2011 Article - Wayne State University Study May Have Found Proof of Asexuality

R_1

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fG4B5kIRWYoJ:www.examiner.com/article/wayne-state-university-study-may-have-found-proof-of-asexuality+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

------------

Researchers at Wayne State University in Denver have found evidence that low sexual desire occurs in the brain rather than the mind, according to the BBC. Dr. Michael Diamond conducted a study of women with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder.

Although the Wayne State Team believes that they have found physical causes for the disease, they may have found proof of Asexuality in Humans. Asexuals who often meet the diagnostic criteria for HSDD have fought over the inclusion HSDD in the DSM in recent years.

26 women, 19 of whom suffered from HSDD, were connected to a resonance imaging scanner. The scan measured brain responses while the women were shown normal images interspersed with erotic scenes. The women without the HSDD diagnosis, who may not know Asexuality existed, showed increased activity in the insular cortices of the human brain. The insular cortices measure the processing of emotion.

Similar studies on the brain have showed differences between gay and straight individuals. Examiner.com attempted to reach Dr. Diamond by e-mail early this month. Diamond did not respond to e-mail inquiries.*

The research has not met with critical acclaim. Relate, a charity said the study demonstrated low libido in women. Sandy Goldbeck, of the Camden and Islington Mental Health Trust called the study a complete red herring.

*The e-mail was sent January 3rd. Many colleges take a prolonged break after Christmas until the start of the next semester.

----------------

Note : I know that asexuality shouldn't be confused with HSDD, but I thought it'd be interesting to show that there's indicative evidence to the existence of asexuality in the field of neurology, and it might be the starting point to there.

Queen of Wonderland

This is pretty cool! I love seeing things like this that introduce the science of asexuality. Fake my ass, my sexuality is totally real, and maybe even backed up by science!

Probably worth pointing out that the original BBC article that is referenced here, and the quotes on the research, don't mention asexuality at all. It would be interesting to find out if anything else came of this though.

Archived