A few questions? (I'm new)

Um, hi! OK, so, personally I dislike the labels of sexuality. If I must use a word to describe my "sexuality", like if someone asks me what my sexuality is, I generally use the word straight. If using a more specific term, I tend to use "heterosexual". I don't really want to be considered a part of the LGBTQIA+ community (please don't be offended by this), but I'd like to find a term that will help people understand how I am in terms of attraction or whatever. I'm not sure if heterosexual is the word that fits best, and I'd like to find a term more accurate (while I doubt I will actually consider myself as such). So far the closest I've found is "heteroromantic asexual", but I'd like to make sure I'd this is the most accurate term. Anyone willing to help?

WinterWanderer

Check out this thread. It lists all the different identities that are used here at AVEN. You might find one that fits you better, such as gray-sexual.

I get your hesitation to identify as LGBT. Many here don't, but some do, too. I think it's up to each individual person. Some feel closer to straight, so prefer not to align themselves with the LGBT community.

I feel kind of similar to you. I use my label (gray-romantic asexual) more as an adjective than as an orientation. Yes, it is an orientation, but I hardly ever think about it. It's not something that completely defines who I am. It's just a pair of words that describes me.

touching-not-so-much

Sort of in the same boat. I just say "straight" is the term I'll use for most conversation. I might even go with "Straight Ace" if needed, but really the idea of asexuality rarely comes up unless it is specifically about sexuality or orientation, and then you have the time or opportunity to be more detailed anyway.

Lana Overland

Just because you're LGBT+ doesn't mean you have to be part of the LGBT+ community. Lot's of aces don't consider themselves part of the gay community (and vice versa) and I think most people would agree that just because you are something doesn't mean you associate or support other people in that group (just look at some of the early women's rights campaigns which failed due to women who didn't want them passed).

Your sexuality is whatever you feel that fits you the best, and not a promise to be in a certain group, and you have the right to reveal whatever you want about that. And you can even choose to reveal in layers like "I like men" (or women I don't know what gender you are, I'm assuming based off of the name) or "I'm ace" or "I'm straight" if you don't want to have to explain in detail. Whatever you feel comfortable saying.

Hope you figure it out :cake:

Hide, if it keeps you, your job, your friends & relatives.

There's no reason to jump into some abyss of misery.

However, in time, the answer will become, more clear to you.

Enjoy the ride, through your time and space.

If you don't desire sex but have crushes on the opposite gender, then yah, heteroromantic ace, or just heteroromantic, is accurate.

Queen of Wonderland

I'd just stick with straight ace if I were you. And whether or not an ace person considers themself part of the community is their own choice. I wouldn't worry about offending anyone either; you aren't the only ace person who doesn't consider themself a member of the LGBTQIA+ community.

Cake and welcome to AVEN, by the way! :cake::cake::cake:

Also, you don't have to be apart of the LGBT community, but the door is always technically open, if you ever end up wanting to.

I would consider asexuality apart of the group, but not everyone who's technically capable of being under it; that's a choice.