Thyroid hormones increase sex drive?

plsdeletemyaccount

plsdeletemyaccount

I found out I'm getting thyroid hormones, not for my lack of interest in sex but for another reason that's unrelated. But is it true that thyroid hormones will suddenly increase my sex drive? Will it make me want to have sex? I'm kinda scared tbh, it would be a really weird change. Did any asexuals here have to get thyroid hormones and did it change your sex drive, and how much does it affect it if at all? I want to know what to expect from this :wacko:

Cincinnatus

I suffer from hypothyroidism, and I can't say I remember after I started taking synthetic thyroid it affecting my sex drive. I DO remember extreme exhaustion all the time which is why I was tested for, so I imagine if you are sexual, lack of thyroid may depress your sex drive, but I don't think the opposite is true.

I have hypothyroidism and have been on thyroid hormones since I was five years old. They didn't cause me to desire sex.

I don't know what "thyroid hormones" necessarily are, but I was on monthly testosterone shots for a while and they didn't cause anything to happen to me, despite nearly everyone warning me about a likely increase in sex drive. Yet I know that for most people that have gone on such a treatment, that was the eventual result.

It's hard to say what will happen because everyone's different. Some people have to find different hormonal medications (such as birth control) because some just don't jive with them well. I have likened it to trying to find a therapist that is a good match with you. Some that you find won't be, not necessarily because they suck at their job, but they just interact with their patients in a way that's different from what you need as an individual.

Cincinnatus

I don't know what "thyroid hormones" necessarily are, but I was on monthly testosterone shots for a while and they didn't cause anything to happen to me, despite nearly everyone warning me about a likely increase in sex drive. Yet I know that for most people that have gone on such a treatment, that was the eventual result.

It's hard to say what will happen because everyone's different. Some people have to find different hormonal medications (such as birth control) because some just don't jive with them well. I have likened it to trying to find a therapist that is a good match with you. Some that you find won't be, not necessarily because they suck at their job, but they just interact with their patients in a way that's different from what you need as an individual.

Thyroid hormones are a number of hormones synthesized by your Thyroid gland (in your neck) -- namely T3 and T4. Unlike Testosterone, which among other things does control some aspects of sexual activity, T3 and T4 are primarily concerned with controlling metabolism, affecting things about how your body burns through food, body temperature maintenance, and overall energy level (among other things). Although, there are different formulations of natural and synthetic hormones which some people seem to work differently for them, they are basically all the same, and either you need them or your don't, and if you have hypothyroidism, the dosage has to be constantly monitored and adjusted.

• 6 months later...

I just found out I have auto-immune Thyroiditis (also known as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) and I am now on day 6 of the medication.  I know that this was a question that I had as well.   I don't think it will change me from being asexual, though I may become more open to the idea of having it.

I identify as asexual, but once I decided to tell a doctor that I don't have libido just in case I may not be asexual but have low testosterone or something.  They automatically decided to test for 3 things.  1 thyroid hormone 2 testosterone 3 prostate.  Apparently, thyroid has something to do with sex drive.  Well, I called them and they said that all the tests came back normal.  Guess I'm asexual.

Janus the Fox
9 hours ago, Life Energy said:

I identify as asexual, but once I decided to tell a doctor that I don't have libido just in case I may not be asexual but have low testosterone or something.  They automatically decided to test for 3 things.  1 thyroid hormone 2 testosterone 3 prostate.  Apparently, thyroid has something to do with sex drive.  Well, I called them and they said that all the tests came back normal.  Guess I'm asexual.

Often to a doctor, no libido, i.e, no erections and so on, can be one of many serious medical complications, its why doctors get seriously concerned with it especially of other symptoms are presented.  I've had such tests myself, for the thyroid, prolactin(another sex hormone for hyperprolactinaemia), testosterone, liver function, brain scans, copper urine tests, various treatments regarding mental health, Prostate Specific Antibody tests (for familial Prostate Cancer) and others, all normal beyond what was diagnosed over the years as late onset puberty (tourettes-asperger, major depression and a rather "nice" comment about Latent Homosexuality). 

Otherwise treatments rather often killed of more libido the more doses increase, strangely gives me rather relief that I don't have to deal with a libido as much.

Hypothyroidism can depress libido (sex drive), but hyperthydroidism -- or taking replacement thyroid hormone -- doesn't raise the libido.   

Janus the Fox

http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_the_thyroid/hyperthyroidism.html

Link is a UK based charity for thyroid health, states hyperthyroidism may increase libido, it also changes mood, hypothyroidism often a cause of depression, its not difficult to suggest hyperthyroidism causes a heightened manic mood, very high mood can mean potentially inhibited behaviour(gambling, risky sex, drug alcohol abuse etc.), that change in mood itself can change libido or even a persons interest in sex in some fashion, if course, such an issue would be an extreme of more severe life changing thyroid issues, related cancers and so on in already normally sexual individuals

13 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Often to a doctor, no libido, i.e, no erections and so on, can be one of many serious medical complications, its why doctors get seriously concerned with it especially of other symptoms are presented.  I've had such tests myself, for the thyroid, prolactin(another sex hormone for hyperprolactinaemia), testosterone, liver function, brain scans, copper urine tests, various treatments regarding mental health, Prostate Specific Antibody tests (for familial Prostate Cancer) and others, all normal beyond what was diagnosed over the years as late onset puberty (tourettes-asperger, major depression and a rather "nice" comment about Latent Homosexuality). 

Otherwise treatments rather often killed of more libido the more doses increase, strangely gives me rather relief that I don't have to deal with a libido as much.

Actually I didn't say "no libido" I don't think.  I basically said I had very low interest in sex or something like that.  I didn't say I was impotent.  And on the paper they said they were giving these tests for "low libido"

On 2/1/2017 at 9:26 AM, Life Energy said:

Actually I didn't say "no libido" I don't think.  I basically said I had very low interest in sex or something like that.  I didn't say I was impotent.  And on the paper they said they were giving these tests for "low libido"

Impotence and lack of libido are different things.

Libido is a desire for regular sexual stimulation. It's a mental thing, not a physical thing.

Impotence is a problem with the physical reaction of having an erection. Although a sexually aroused person with a penis will generally have an erection, unless there are impotent, not all erections are caused by sexual arousal. Things like needing to pee, having friction on the penis, or changes in temperature can cause an erection without any actual sexual arousal or desire. Even newborn babies can get erections.

I think I should have a higher dose of hormones even though my tests say I'm in the normal range. I forgot to bring my medication one day so I took one of my Mom's which is a slightly higher dose and it made me feel better than I usually do.