Southern accents!

Grumpy Alien

Southern accents!  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find American Southern accents appealing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither appealing nor unappealing
    • Undecided
  2. 2. More or less so than other American accents?

• More
    • Less
    • The same
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Are you male?

• Yes (regardless of gender assigned at birth)
    • No (regardless of gender assigned at birth)
    • Other
  4. 4. Where are you from?

• United States
    • North America but not the US
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Prefer not to say
    • Australia
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

girltwink666

i have a southern accent and i Hate it southern accents are the worst

but i refuse to give up the word "y'all" because i see it as grammatically necessary

njosnavelin

My thoughts between north and south accents are gender specific.

In the South a male with an accent carries the “white trash” stereotype. However the lady with her Southern accent sound has some dignity.

In the North a male with a Boston / New York accent seems to have the correct authority. However the lady with her Boston / New York accent carries that same stigma as the men in South.

Truth and Lies

I'm from Southern California, but most of my relatives live in the South, in Arkansas. My mother grew up there as well (however, she worked very hard to lose her accent upon moving to California). I don't mind the accent at all, and with some variations I really enjoy the sound of it. In comparison, I do not enjoy Northern accents as much.

On another note, I find myself saying "y'all" sometimes, probably influenced by my mother or more frequent visits to our relatives during childhood. I used to use "ain't" a lot as well, but I stopped using it some years ago.

There are subcategories of Southern accent I had to answer undecided. There's an episode of The X-Files (Bitten) where Luke Wilson plays one character as two different stereotypes, the Southern gentleman and the ignorant hick. This article is just about dialects. They can be appealing or unappealing.

• 11 months later...

I have what I like to call a vestigial twang( a Southern accent that has been mostly erased through speech therapy and globalization) 

I do have some Southern elements in my voice, but really I just kind of sound mid-Western(Just a really loud mid-Western person). The majority of people wouldn't notice my hint of a Southern accent.

I had a penfriend from Virginia.  I rang her a few times.  I could have just sat and listened to her talk all day long.

Digs_Dead_People

I have a twinge of a Southern accent on most days and some days it becomes full blown depending on who I've been talking to and I hate it. D:<  I don't care much for the accent, at least if it's think and/or Texas-based, Georgia-based, deep-south-Louisiana/Missisippi-based, and southern Alabama-based.  The lighter southern accents, like what's usually encountered closer to the Mason-Dixon line, aren't nearly as grating and, depending on the person's general voice character, it can be attractive.

cavalier080854

I'm not nuanced enough in American accents. Some accents I think are Southern proved to be otherwise. But that said when they are actually southern I find the attitude of southerners as Polite as Cats, with a beautiful drawl accent.:mellow: Though I do hate country music, but that is beyond the topic at hand.

I was out in the country recently, and oh my word I forget how strong that can get!

I've never liked it in particular but I've learned there are enough variations of it and some are pleasant. I tend to dislike heavy drawls or more rural versions of the accent and the stereotypical version you'd imagine from a hick or an old west cowboy, but like some of the lighter versions when men have it.

(And can I just say movie renditions of southern accents tend to be atrocious?)

But I'll take most southern accents over some of the strong North-Eastern ones any day. New Jersey's makes me want to chop my ears off.

9 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

But I'll take most southern accents over some of the strong North-Eastern ones any day. New Jersey's makes me want to chop my ears off.

The Northeast has a variety of accents that are pretty jarring if you're not around them all the time.  A heavy Boston accent is usually the least appealing sounding one that comes to mind for me.  

Grumpy Alien
12 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

New Jersey's makes me want to chop my ears off.

I have a New Jersey accent... :( But not the one you're thinking of :P 

I've lived in rural Virginia for almost 20 years now. I don't really associate the accent with any stereotypes because most people I meet around here have an accent, regardless of their views or behaviors.

Although I personally don't normally have an accent (at least compared to most of the population here) due to being raised by a Californian and a Japanese person, I do have a tendency to adopt a Southern accent when talking to people who have an accent, especially when I'm at work. I also use y'all because I think it's a useful word.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I like Reginald D Hunter's accent. He's a comedian from Georgia and he's very polite. I love it when he says 'ma'am' in answering a woman's question. However, I find americans in general to be polite in everyday language.

7 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

I like Reginald D Hunter's accent. He's a comedian from Georgia and he's very polite. I love it when he says 'ma'am' in answering a woman's question. However, I find americans in general to be polite in everyday language.

Have you never met a New Yorker?

(just kidding, people of New York! I'm sure you're lovely people) :D

On 7/8/2017 at 1:37 PM, AmandaD said:

A heavy Boston accent is usually the least appealing sounding one that comes to mind for me.  

Amen to that! 😂

I have a slight Boston accent unfortunately...but it could be a lot worse! Some people around here, even in the surrounding suburbs...it's a bit much, to put it lightly...

But back to the topic...I honestly never really liked Southern accents on men. Now a nice English accent, however...😍

21 hours ago, daveb said:

Have you never met a New Yorker?

(just kidding, people of New York! I'm sure you're lovely people) :D

Hey, New York accents and people ARE lovely!!  We also have plenty of rude people, as any state does haha.   New York actually has a lot of distinguishable accents.  There is a Canadian influence when you get up near the border and Staten Island, Brooklyn and Long Island accents are even different. I always thought the rest of New York was pretty neutral sounding, but I don't think I have any noticeable accent, until I'm 3 states away from New York and almost everyone can peg me as a yankee, if not a New Yorker.  

I haven't been in the south much, but one of the complaints I heard from my friend when she lived there wasn't so much about the accent itself, but the pace.  She said she wanted to tell people to hurry it up with what they were trying to say.  

straightouttamordor

I speak with a southern drawl. You pick it subconsciously when you are raised in a particular region. I speak like Foghorn Leghorn. I hate phony, coached southern dialects in movies. Ours is quite genuine and poetic. 

But I don't feel ours is superior nor inferior to anyone else. I'm glad we have individual and unique cultural regions. I have friends from the upper midwest and Canada and I love their accent. Yooper is cool with me. I have some Italian friends from New Jersey,  they are lots of fun and good people. They are proud of their heritage and dialect as well. 

Our southern accent from Applachain mountain strains evolved from the Elizabethan 16 century English and Scotch Irish Welsh dialects. Like " Yall" simply a slang contraction of Ye All. I wouldn't ask another region to end speaking their own unique dialect. How bossy and bullyish.

I confess I have some pre-conceived notions about people with some accents, but I try to get past those. I have known some really cool people with some strong southern accents (in those cases the accents are so strongly associated with those people in my mind that they predispose me to an initial positive response to other people that talk that way) (and one or 2 jerks on the flip side :( ). Same for certain other accents. My own accent is subtle enough and/or different enough that people usually aren't sure if I'm from somewhere in the US or Canada, anywhere where a sort of standard North American accent is found.

I like how different it makes them sound. The first time I went to America I went to North Carolina and my family there couldn't understand my Caribbean accent so I started mimicking them even now I have a weird butchered southern accent when I speak standard English.

Depends on the specific accent. Like, I'm not a huge fan of deep-south drawl, but like accents from the more midwestern south are sick.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:47 PM, Ammy-G said:

I have what I like to call a vestigial twang( a Southern accent that has been mostly erased through speech therapy and globalization) 

Yeah, that's like me too. I grew up in the South (in a part where the accents are extremely different from the stereotypical Texan or Georgia accents), and when I was younger, I HATED my accent. So I trained myself to speak a different way? I'm not sure what kind of accent I gave myself, but most people can't tell that I am from the South except for my "y'all"s and dropping off the "g" on "-ing" words. Also the tendency to ignore "t" in the middle of a word, like "mountain" or "kitten."

• 3 weeks later...

@Graceful

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived