Southern accents!

Grumpy Alien

Southern accents!  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find American Southern accents appealing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither appealing nor unappealing
    • Undecided
  2. 2. More or less so than other American accents?

• More
    • Less
    • The same
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Are you male?

• Yes (regardless of gender assigned at birth)
    • No (regardless of gender assigned at birth)
    • Other
  4. 4. Where are you from?

• United States
    • North America but not the US
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Prefer not to say
    • Australia
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Grumpy Alien

After some conversation, it has come to my attention that not only can I do a decent Southern accent, but that Southern accents are appealing to non-American men. Is this true? Do you identify as male? Where are you from?

TELL ME THINGS

Edit: I'm dumb and had to fix the last question. Prefer not to say is effectively erroneous now.

I like most of the American accents that I've heard, though honestly a lot of them sound pretty similar to me. I can tell the difference between Northern and Southern though, and would say that I personally prefer Northern, but there's nothing wrong with Southern.

< See here for details of gender and location. I'm not in Mississippi.

Grumpy Alien

I like most of the American accents that I've heard, though honestly a lot of them sound pretty similar to me. I can tell the difference between Northern and Southern though, and would say that I personally prefer Northern, but there's nothing wrong with Southern.

971d2e32d33303d354deea3c069e99ea.jpg

You're not a girl from Mississippi?

Starry Sky

I've been living in Southern US for 4.5 years and I find southern accents to be increasingly annoying. I cannot stand them. I don't know why. It's just an accent but it's a really bothersome accent to me.

971d2e32d33303d354deea3c069e99ea.jpg

You're not a girl from Mississippi?

I'm actually a Mississippi girl, disguised as a penguing, disguised as an Oxford boy. Don't tell anyone though! :ph34r:

Grumpy Alien

I've been living in Southern US for 4.5 years and I find southern accents to be increasingly annoying. I cannot stand them. I don't know why. It's just an accent but it's a really bothersome accent to me.

I not-so-secretly find them a bit grating.

Chrysocolla Dawn

X3 Awh, I think southern accents are adorable, they remind me of home.

I'm in the complete opposite to the south for work right now, but I work with a big old Texan who tells the funniest stories.

verily-forsooth-egads

Midwestern estadounidense here.

I haven't really been exposed to them enough in normal contexts to have an opinion. I'd say I find them less appealing than a newscaster accent, but I know it's just because of the stereotypes I've been exposed to. There's a good chance I'll wind up living there in the future, too, so I try to keep an open mind.

LenaLuthor

I like posh southern accents.

Wonderment

I'm from New Zealand, I don't really think much about USA Southern accents

You forgot to include Oceania. ): You should assume anyone under the 'prefer not to say' is probably in somewhere like Australia or New Zealand.

Rising Sun

As someone who isn't a native English speaker, southern accents are more mysterious, if not unintelligible. Like hieroglyphs as a spoken language.

I don’t mind either of them. But Southern accents is less when I think hard about it, but I don't mind it.

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

They are okay, I find them to be slightly easier to fake than other american accents.
I had to put prefer not to say on location, maybe an 'other' choice would be more accurate, for those of us who walk around on our heads XD

Grumpy Alien

You forgot to include Oceania. ): You should assume anyone under the 'prefer not to say' is probably in somewhere like Australia or New Zealand.

WHOOPS. I was super tired when I made this... Sorry!!! I fixed it.

(There are posh southern accents?)

LenaLuthor

Like this.

Salted Karamel

I have always found American South accents to be the most annoying accents in the world, even since I was a child. I'm from the Northeast US.

I'm from the northeastern US, and I think that Southern accents are nice. I really like accents though, so as long as someone talks in a way that is different from how I talk, I'll probably enjoy their accent :)

Sleepy Skeleton

I can't stand them. When I hear them on TV, I mock them. They just sound so ridiculous to me, even though I know they can't help it. I'm so glad southern accents don't really exist in Florida, despite it technically being in the South.

Neutral

I was born in the South. Had an extremely thick drawl, even though I was almost 6 when I moved to the Northwest. I thought everyone had an accent up here. Everyone, including my teachers (at the beginning), made fun of me. I tried really hard to change it and conform my accent to theirs. I still sometimes have some of that accent slip out. Especially when I'm tired. I sound a bit odd anyways, because I live very close to the Canadian border, most family members have New York or New Jersey accents, some of them have Yiddish accents on top of the area they're from, and I pick up on these. It's become somewhat of a mix now. Southern accents remind me of home, even though I wasn't there for long. Northeastern accents remind me of family. Canadian accents feel comfortable and soft, I guess. I don't think any accent is better or worse. They're all interesting to me.

WinterWanderer

I'm from the south and I absolutely detest southern accents :p

Country music is also the bane of my existence.

Confusion 0

I have a southern accent... a southern English accent. I forgot that everyone on the internet seems to default to thinking everyone is American...

Grumpy Alien

I have a southern accent... a southern English accent. I forgot that everyone on the internet seems to default to thinking everyone is American...

That's why I specified American southern in the poll :P

Confusion 0

... But not in the topic title. :P

Grumpy Alien

... But not in the topic title. :P

True that

ChillaKilla

I have a fairly neutral West-coast sort of accent even though I've lived in the South my whole life. Although I do use "y'all" a lot more than most people I know...

I'm a southern guy with a southern accent so I don't find them appealing nor unappealing as I hardly notice them. :lol:

Jenna Nicole

I'm a chick, not a dude. So.

I don't generally like the Southern accent, unless it's really mild... like from the Virginia or Kentucky areas.

Horse Ham Radio

Like this.

Oh dear, I can't understand even half of what she is saying!

Archived