Alternatives to GSA for High School?

mustachioed panda

mustachioed panda

I'm thinking about starting up a club at my high school centered around the LGBTQ+ community, at my foolish detriment, but I find that I absolutely loathe the idea of a Gay-Straight Alliance. The name, itself, is non-inclusive; I mean, it technically means I can't even start up the club because I'm neither gay nor am I straight. But I cannot seem to find any other resources online for high school clubs revolving around LGBTQ+ activities, and my school's county kind of requires that we be a part of a national organization.

In other words, should I just start up the club under the cover of GSA or does anyone else know of any other ways to get around this?

I may or may not actually start the club... it's just that the GSA died when I entered my sophomore year, and I'm a senior, and I feel like we really need visibility. I live in Florida, and we had that shooting in Orlando several weeks ago, and... I just feel like it's sorta time to try and gain more visibility?

I'm hopeful for alternatives and insights. Thank you, all :3

Lord of the nerds

Alternative thought: start up the GSA, tell people it now stands for "Gays, Straights, and Aces"

Could you start it under GSA but with a different name? Maybe if you could explain to the school that the name is exclusionary then you could be allowed.

chunkamunk

My school had Gay Straight Alliance as well a few years ago and I refused to join because I didn't like how the name excluded every single sexuality except for gay and straight. The name was changed this past year, I would've joined but I had a conflict with the meeting times, and I can't remember what they renamed it to. Another group at my school was YCI or Youth for Change and Inclusion. It didn't only focus on the LGBTQ+ community but also on stopping all types of bullying and making the school feel more inclusive to everyone. It was an organization for around my area though but if there is a group in your school that is like that maybe join that and ask to organize some LGBTQ+ events? If not I think another name my school's GSA tried to have was Rainbow Alliance, which if you really think about it a rainbow is an infinite amount of colours so really every colour (and shade) from all LGBTQ+ flags are in it.

Queen of Wonderland

At my school, our GSA simply stands for gender-sexuality alliance. Maybe advertising it as that would be better! Its so much better of a name in my opinion

Archived